G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

g35 sedan, automatic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 08:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my dad is the one who told me about it I'm at school right now, 10500 reduced from 11500 with 60K not 50 I made a mistake.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
If you are specifically looking into 03/04's, then you can always upgrade the brakes to the 05/06 specs if it's a real concern. The issue is really dusting and premature wear on the 03/04 brakes.
I have not found brake dust to be a problem on my 2004 G35x since I installed Hawk HPS pads. They are also more progressive in their "bite," not as grabby.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
5AT comes with a manual shift mode. Personally it's a novelty to me. I used it once and that's it. If you drive a manual trans regularly like I do (my weekend car is a stick) then you quickly start to hate ANY automatic that has a manual mode. It's just not the same at all. But that's my opinion.
If you get the Works Bell paddle shifters, the shift response is a bit quicker because the paddle only moves about 1/8" before engaging the DIP switch vs the long .75"+ throw of the console shifter. In most sitations, the manual mode downshift happens as fast, if not faster, than what I could do with a true a manual. The upshift can be a bit slow under certain high load/mid rpm shift requests, but otherwise it's pretty decent. On the strip, at least with the RWD 5ATs, manually shifting the 2-3 and holding 3rd is a necessity. On the auto-x, the manual mode is pretty decent. Far better than I thought it would be.

Old 06-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
manual G sedans only accounted for ~5% of production, that is why they are harder to find. this rarity can increase the value since enthusiasts will pay a premium to get exactly what they want. i know i did.

as far as performance, the 6MT sedan might be a touch quicker/faster, but 99% of the time the difference is negligable when street driving. the choice of whether to go with 6MT or 5AT should be based on your personal preferences and not which one might shave off a 1/10th or two in the 1/4 mile. if you love manuals, wait for the right 6MT sedan to come along. otherwise you will have no problem finding an AT sedan that suits your specs.

i love my 6MT and wouldn't have it any other way, but that's me. i did have my tranny replaced under warranty, but since i got a new clutch out of the deal for free i am unfazed by the inconvenience of dropping the car off at a dealer.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
So, your saying all brake components from a 05/06 coupe and RWD sedan will fit on an 04?

Old 06-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Yes, the newer setup is a direct bolt-on upgrade to the 03-04's (05 X too). Bigger rotors front and back, plus the front calipers are 2-piston. You do have to trim the dust shields, but that's it.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
If you get the Works Bell paddle shifters, the shift response is a bit quicker because the paddle only moves about 1/8" before engaging the DIP switch vs the long .75"+ throw of the console shifter. In most sitations, the manual mode downshift happens as fast, if not faster, than what I could do with a true a manual. The upshift can be a bit slow under certain high load/mid rpm shift requests, but otherwise it's pretty decent. On the strip, at least with the RWD 5ATs, manually shifting the 2-3 and holding 3rd is a necessity. On the auto-x, the manual mode is pretty decent. Far better than I thought it would be.

I hear what you are saying. I do like the idea of adding paddle shifters, but the cost turns me off. I just don't want to get that involved in modding what is essentially my daily commuter car when i have a weekend "sporty" car to mod and mess around with.

I kinda wish they had a "sport" model X int he 03-06 years like they do with the 2nd gen. I know the Skyline overseas does have a paddle shift model so i wonder why it was never adapted on a sport 5AT model here.

My girls IS250 does have the paddle shift (in addition to console shift), but even that tends to not feel the same to me. I guess it has less to do with picking my shifts and more with the fact that I am not pressing a clutch in to do so. I think controlling the slip makes me think i have more control.

But anyway, i bought my X for one reason...SNOW. And it was truely awesome in it last winter. I had total confidence to go out in any snowstorm and drive in it. BTW, the IS250 AWD BLOWS in the snow. We left it home every storm and took the G35. But to be fair, the IS250 easily outhandles the G and rides smoother and quieter.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
But anyway, i bought my X for one reason...SNOW. And it was truely awesome in it last winter. I had total confidence to go out in any snowstorm and drive in it.
Me too. Several times when schools were closed they hadn't plowed my neighborhood yet, so I was driving through 12+" of snow a couple of times, and the G barely noticed. I could hear the snow against the side of the car but the AWD and my Nokians just blew through it.

But to be fair, the IS250 easily outhandles the G and rides smoother and quieter.
Yep, nice car, if you're under 5'8". And I'm sure it's smooth and quiet inside while you watch out the windshield as the G drives over the horizon. I looked at that car, but underpowered big time, and like all Toyota cars, not built for people above average in height.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the acceleration of an X kicks ***

Old 06-08-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Yep, nice car, if you're under 5'8". And I'm sure it's smooth and quiet inside while you watch out the windshield as the G drives over the horizon. I looked at that car, but underpowered big time, and like all Toyota cars, not built for people above average in height.

Ha nailed it perfectly.

I'm 6'1". I can't fit in there at all!! And yes...it's a gutless wonder, but it gets nice gas mileage.

So long highway trips in the dry, we take the lexus. If it snows, we take the G35....or any other time because it's MY car and i bought it because I like it! But if i want to feel stuck up for a day, we take the lexus. Seriously. I get more "wow, you must be doing good" comments when i drive the lexus, and nothing in the G35.

I want her to get the IS convertible. That thing looks nice! We only need one good car for the snow. Her Lexus is an '07..and has 8500 miles on it.

Old 06-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInMI
Yes, the newer setup is a direct bolt-on upgrade to the 03-04's (05 X too). Bigger rotors front and back, plus the front calipers are 2-piston. You do have to trim the dust shields, but that's it.
Thanks for the reply! I'm an idiot and did not research the compatibility before I replaced my front pads and rotors with 04 OEM parts. I'll look into upgrading because my front brakes are dusting like crazy!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:22 PM
I'm sure you can find some 05-06 (except 05 X) owners who've upgraded their brakes and willing to ditch their stockers.

Guy up the road from me has an '05X. The difference in brake size in our wheels is very noticable....so it def helps fill up larger wheels. They also ditched the Brembo's that year, and made the rotor sizes comparable at 12.6 front and 12.1 rear with 2-piston front calipers

Old 06-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the information, I'll be checking the For Sale Forums.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess it has less to do with picking my shifts and more with the fact that I am not pressing a clutch in to do so. I think controlling the slip makes me think i have more control.
or maybe it's the fact that you do have more control that makes you feel like you have more control As cool as 5AT manual mode may be, it's still just a suggestion from you to your TCU.. not the "take this gear now bitch!" of the 6MT