G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35x and AWD - How do you know?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy G35x and AWD - How do you know?

I apologize for the NOOB question, but after reading the manual 1/2 dozen times and searching this forum, I still don't understand when you are in AWD?

1. Is there button you press (not the snow button) to engage AWD?

Sorry, for the noob question, but it's driving me crazy!

Old 06-09-2009, 09:04 AM
It's automatic, I think its in awd up until about 20 mph, after that its only when tires slip. Someone may correct me. Snow mode cuts power, and changes up the VDC to be more active, again not 100% just what I have noticed.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think the AWD is only active up to 12mph, then kicks power to the fronts when slip is detected. It will still do that when slip is detected even if VDC is off.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Snow mode just reduces throttle sensitivity. it does not reduce power.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Thank you... Now I can finally sleep.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Also SNOW mode locks in the awd until you get to 12 mph and does that each time you start from a stop

Old 06-09-2009, 04:43 PM
You are in AWD up to 12 mph when not in snow mode... when in snow mode its up to 20 mph. After that it is automatic dependent upon wheel slippage

Old 06-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
The system is totally automated so you will never really know when in AWD or not.

From a dead stop it is always in AWD. As you roll, the computer controls how much power to send to the front wheels (as much as 50% front if needed)

Snow mode locks in the ratio at 50/50 up to 20MPH and makes the throttle response less sensitive.

AWD is always active, so you don't really know. The SLIP light is a separate system. A lot of guys think AWD only kicks on when the slip light comes on.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:04 AM
You can tell if the AWD is engaged, but you have to have your radio off You can hear the transfer case engaging pretty easily because it uses an electromagnetic clutch. The slip light is also a pretty good indication on the X. The only times the slip light isn't an indication of the AWD working is 1) when you are starting out under 12 mph and 2) when you're sliding completely sideways and VDC is just braking one wheel. I would guess almost all the times that the slip light is on, AWD is being engaged at least to some point. Considering that the AWD kicks in when rear tire slipping occurs, it pretty much follows that when you see the slip light, slipping occurs and AWD kicks in

Most of the posts here are pretty much correct... here's a little more detail.

In normal (non-snow) mode, the AWD is engaged until to 12 mph using a 75/25 rear/front power distribution. After that, the system goes to 100% rear until slip occurs.

In snow mode, the AWD is locked at 50/50 rear/front distribution until roughly 20 mph then the system returns to the normal setting above. It also severely decreases throttle sensitivity. Some people say it changes the torque curve of the engine, but all it does is change the sensitivity of the throttle. These things are simple to do when you have a drive by wire throttle. No stupid cables connected to the throttle body... just wires that tell it what to do

Old 06-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally Posted by MidnightG35X
You can tell if the AWD is engaged, but you have to have your radio off You can hear the transfer case engaging pretty easily because it uses an electromagnetic clutch. The slip light is also a pretty good indication on the X. The only times the slip light isn't an indication of the AWD working is 1) when you are starting out under 12 mph and 2) when you're sliding completely sideways and VDC is just braking one wheel. I would guess almost all the times that the slip light is on, AWD is being engaged at least to some point. Considering that the AWD kicks in when rear tire slipping occurs, it pretty much follows that when you see the slip light, slipping occurs and AWD kicks in

Most of the posts here are pretty much correct... here's a little more detail.

In normal (non-snow) mode, the AWD is engaged until to 12 mph using a 75/25 rear/front power distribution. After that, the system goes to 100% rear until slip occurs.

In snow mode, the AWD is locked at 50/50 rear/front distribution until roughly 20 mph then the system returns to the normal setting above. It also severely decreases throttle sensitivity. Some people say it changes the torque curve of the engine, but all it does is change the sensitivity of the throttle. These things are simple to do when you have a drive by wire throttle. No stupid cables connected to the throttle body... just wires that tell it what to do

Awesome, these are the exact answers I like getting.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by TheG35Guy

Old 06-11-2009, 12:00 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
awhile back I started looking into building a small display to show the AWD/RWD ratio by monitoring the current send to the AWD clutch solenoid. The project never really got to far but I think its possible.

Other cars with variants of our ATTESEA-ETS system have slick displays that show all sorts of information. (R34, GTR, etc)

Old 06-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by MidnightG35X
Originally Posted by TheG35Guy
Unfortunately, his answers aren't quite correct. The SLIP light only comes on when the VDC kicks in. If the AWD is working (below 12 mph or so), and no VDC situation is occurring, you won't see the SLIP light. I can floor it from a dead stop, and even get a little tire slippage in the front and back, without the VDC kicking on (and no SLIP light), but the AWD is definitely working because I can hear both the front and rear tires driving the car forward.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Try and do a burnout from a dead stop with the VDC off. You'll quickly find out AWD works nicely even without the slip light.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Try and do a burnout from a dead stop with the VDC off. You'll quickly find out AWD works nicely even without the slip light.
I have. And it does!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35x and AWD - How do you know?