G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

spare tire speaker box?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:29 AM
Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts
Question spare tire speaker box?

Recently I lit my trunk on fire while welding the holes for the logo I burned out all the mats etc. I know I am retarded at times. Back on subject does anyone know of anyone that has attempted or made a custom speaker box in the spare hole? I have 2 12's and I'm not sure if it will have any effect on the sound or not... lack the knowledge in this area. please help !

I can manage with building it I hope! I have the proper tools and will power just dont know if its realistic.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have four 10's in a fiberglass box where my spare tire was

Old 06-25-2009, 02:57 AM
Originally Posted by Avi11
i have four 10's in a fiberglass box where my spare tire was
PICTURES PLEASE!

Old 06-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
I don't even do audio in my cars and I want pics of that haha.

Soooo, like flames came out of your trunk?

Old 06-25-2009, 11:59 AM
more smoke ahahaha. It didnt like torch up just made a mess.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
The location of the sub in the trunk does not affect the sound at all since they are not directional like speakers, well like tweeters and midrange drivers, since a sub is still considered a speaker itself.

The issue, however, is the air space. Usually, when you see a setup with the subs in the spare tire well, the floor will be raised a few inches to allow more air space for the sub. If you don't have enough air space, use less subs if you want to stick to that idea or use different subs that require less air space.

How can you calculate airspace? Easy....get a bunch of packaging peanuts and fill up the spare tire well. Once done, put what you used in a a 1 cu. ft. cardboard box from Walmart (12 x 12 x 12). Repeat process till you determine how much air space you have for the subs.

For the 4 10's, I'm assuming you had the floor raised quite a bit, otherwise, those subs were not being used at their full potential and were actually choking thus, giving it a chance for damage.

IMO, anything is realistic if it works within specs...most people would say the 18" sub I had in my Accord sedan was unrealistic, but for me, I didn't use the trunk and my box took up the entire trunk and it sounded amazing.

For the G, I'm sticking to a single 15..was gonna do a pair, but it might be a tad too much for the sound I'm trying to capture. I think a single 15 off 250w is gonna be plenty anyway and should get pretty loud, louder than most setups I've seen with a bunch of subs and watts....

In the end it's all about efficiency and design. That's why I was mentioning it might be better off to just use 1 sub instead of 2, since more is not always better. Think of it like this, you have a 1 gallon bottle of water with a large opening and and 2 gallon bottle of water with a small opening, which one will be able to dispense the water out the quickest? The 1 gallon because it's much more efficient with the larger hole, same concept, or similar, applies in this case.

First thing is to determine how much air space the subs require, then measure the spare tire well, and then figure out if you want to raise the floor at all. But again, it's not going to change the sound, just deaden the living **** out of the trunk floor so it does not resonate the chassis when the bass hits and thus causing massive rattles and vibrations.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by donpisto
The location of the sub in the trunk does not affect the sound at all since they are not directional like speakers, well like tweeters and midrange drivers, since a sub is still considered a speaker itself.

The issue, however, is the air space. Usually, when you see a setup with the subs in the spare tire well, the floor will be raised a few inches to allow more air space for the sub. If you don't have enough air space, use less subs if you want to stick to that idea or use different subs that require less air space.

How can you calculate airspace? Easy....get a bunch of packaging peanuts and fill up the spare tire well. Once done, put what you used in a a 1 cu. ft. cardboard box from Walmart (12 x 12 x 12). Repeat process till you determine how much air space you have for the subs.

For the 4 10's, I'm assuming you had the floor raised quite a bit, otherwise, those subs were not being used at their full potential and were actually choking thus, giving it a chance for damage.

IMO, anything is realistic if it works within specs...most people would say the 18" sub I had in my Accord sedan was unrealistic, but for me, I didn't use the trunk and my box took up the entire trunk and it sounded amazing.

For the G, I'm sticking to a single 15..was gonna do a pair, but it might be a tad too much for the sound I'm trying to capture. I think a single 15 off 250w is gonna be plenty anyway and should get pretty loud, louder than most setups I've seen with a bunch of subs and watts....

In the end it's all about efficiency and design. That's why I was mentioning it might be better off to just use 1 sub instead of 2, since more is not always better. Think of it like this, you have a 1 gallon bottle of water with a large opening and and 2 gallon bottle of water with a small opening, which one will be able to dispense the water out the quickest? The 1 gallon because it's much more efficient with the larger hole, same concept, or similar, applies in this case.

First thing is to determine how much air space the subs require, then measure the spare tire well, and then figure out if you want to raise the floor at all. But again, it's not going to change the sound, just deaden the living **** out of the trunk floor so it does not resonate the chassis when the bass hits and thus causing massive rattles and vibrations.

You my friend are very correct!
Everything was measured and calculated correctly. as soon as i post this im gonna go to my car and snap some Iphone pics.

I spent a good chunk of change on my system here is a little break down for you freaks of audio like myself

Front and Rear Speakers / custom setting
Focal 165 KRX3

Subs / custom fiber glass underbelly port

Four (4) 10 inch JL W3's V2

Amps / 2 Hidden to Visable

(4)Arc Audio KS1000.1

Head Unit
Eclipse AVN 726 E

Gonna go get some pics :P

Old 06-25-2009, 04:30 PM
ARC, yumm

W3's don't require much room so I see how you were able to incorporate that. Looking forward to pics

Old 06-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Alrighty!

The pics dont really do much justice. there was alot of craft menshship that went into this....Im waiting on the JL Pressure grills to finish the job up then its on to a body kit >

http://www.flickr.com/photos/avi11/s...18386735/show/

Old 06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
Nice, how many inches did you raise the floor? Doesn't seem like you had to do it all that much.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:29 PM
i only raised it an inch i got really lucky

Old 06-25-2009, 05:38 PM
Nice, didn't look like it was all that much if any.

Old 08-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow that must sound insane? Would these be the be the best subs to try to fit an install like this?

Old 08-28-2011, 12:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^sorry for the retarted grammar

Old 08-28-2011, 06:47 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by 4DGS
I don't even do audio in my cars and I want pics of that haha.

Soooo, like flames came out of your trunk?
I totally agree, his set up looks sick.

(love replying to a 2 year old post )

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: spare tire speaker box?