G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Matic J - Transmission Fluid Cost Realistic??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Where can i buy some online? I need to do a drain and fill. 4 quarts should be fine right? Or should i get 5?
For me was exactly 4 quarts. I buy 5 just in case. Then next time I'll get 4 again so at least if I need to fill more than 4, there's a spare one I can use. Just use the spare one next time and you'll always have a fresh spare one handy.

http://www.mynismo.com/products/Default.asp?id=3912

Old 06-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Where can i buy some online? I need to do a drain and fill. 4 quarts should be fine right? Or should i get 5?
If you want to take the extra step of draining and refilling the fluid from the transmission pipe located between the front bumper and radiator, you should purchase an additional 3 quarts of fluid, for a total of 7 quarts. I did that in my last tranny service. See bythabay's DIY video for details:

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed...on_service.htm

Old 06-25-2009, 06:08 PM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
OP, is the flush an actual flush or is it a fluid exchange? One exchanges fluid while the other uses high pressure and cleaning agents and forces it in the reverse direction of the normal fluid flow.

I'm not sure there are many car manufacturers who would recommend a flush as a regular service, while most would advice against it.

The manufacturers and sellers of the flush machines do recommend a flush tho!

Old 06-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Infiniti Chica
OP, is the flush an actual flush or is it a fluid exchange? One exchanges fluid while the other uses high pressure and cleaning agents and forces it in the reverse direction of the normal fluid flow.

I'm not sure there are many car manufacturers who would recommend a flush as a regular service, while most would advice against it.

The manufacturers and sellers of the flush machines do recommend a flush tho!
You are right, it was a fluid exchange. He showed me the brochure which was pretty much this system - http://www.zakproducts.com/index.php...egory=Services

I still remain very skeptical that the "bulk matic - J/S fluid" is truly Nissan Matic J or S, since it was supposedly $3.82 for each quart...

Old 06-25-2009, 08:15 PM
More bad news. I just did my own oil change (I usually have a service center do it every 4.5k miles with Mobil 1 Syn or Royal Purple with a Nissan filter) at about 5k mi since my last change with light traffic driving.

It was straight out black and was only 2.5 quarts....I am pretty sure the guy who serviced my car last time put in between 4.5 - 4.75 quarts. Someone tell me this isnt normal. Its an 04 G35 Sedan with 58k miles...

Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 PM
You can buy the Matic S ATF at mynismo.com or InfinitiPartsUSA.com. I personally used the last one just for convinience of combining shipping for other items.
By just letting the transmission drain it will come out less than 4 qts. Buy 5 just in case but i'm sure you will en up with a bottle and half for later. What i'm going to do with my car is to alternate a drain and a flush. At 30K miles
I did a drain and refill, next at 60K I will do a full flush for sure. The next will depend of the color and the smell of the ATF at 60K miles (I hope still red and fresh). Most likely I'll continue with flushes since the tranny is getting "older"

Originally Posted by uteric
More bad news. I just did my own oil change (I usually have a service center do it every 4.5k miles with Mobil 1 Syn or Royal Purple with a Nissan filter) at about 5k mi since my last change with light traffic driving.

It was straight out black and was only 2.5 quarts....I am pretty sure the guy who serviced my car last time put in between 4.5 - 4.75 quarts. Someone tell me this isnt normal. Its an 04 G35 Sedan with 58k miles...
The factory recommended oil change interval is 3750 miles. I would never go over that millage for an oil change no matter what the oil manufactured says. What set the oil contamination is the engine not the oil itself unless it get corrupted by other means.

Old 06-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oil being black is perfectly normal. 2.5 Quarts comming out is not.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:45 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods

Do you check your oil on a regular basis? If so did you notice the level getting low? 2.5 Qts. is only half of what the crankcase holds. IMO you would have shown no oil on the dipstick if that's the case.

Are you sure you drained all the oil?

W/E, watch this carefully. You might have the infamous oil consumption issue.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:15 AM
in my case, atf matic-S costs $1.5 per qt more at Nissan dealer than Infiniti dealer in my neighbor. the Infiniti dealer I went did not even charge me 4 copper drain plug washers. Nissan? charge me every single one of them.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:23 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lexusk8
If you want to take the extra step of draining and refilling the fluid from the transmission pipe located between the front bumper and radiator, you should purchase an additional 3 quarts of fluid, for a total of 7 quarts. I did that in my last tranny service. See bythabay's DIY video for details:

http://www.infinitihelp.com/diy/gsed...on_service.htm
+10000 just what i was going to post, bythebay did my last tranny service

Old 07-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
you can buy a box of Matic J/S on ebay for a lot less.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Where can you buy matic d.....for the transfer case on the awd.

Dealer the only place? Need two quarts. Can matic s be used instead?

Old 07-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Matic-S, $12/qt at Nissan, but $10.5 at Infiniti in my neighbor. Odd?? The Infiniti dealer also gave me some atf drain plug washers for free, the Nissan charged me every piece of them.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
^ Yea its odd sometimes

I called a toyota Dealer for ATF, they wanted almost double then the lexus dealer.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Where can you buy matic d.....for the transfer case on the awd.

Dealer the only place? Need two quarts. Can matic s be used instead?
D and K cant be mixed. not sure about S. sticker says that somewhere in the engine bay or when you crawl under.

D is just normal ATF dextron/mercon stuff. I just used redline D4 ATF for the T-case.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Matic J - Transmission Fluid Cost Realistic??