G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Air Conditioner Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioner Problem

Hi Guys

Aussie owner here. Just joined. Got myself a v35 350 GT-8. been asking a lot of people here and since i can't get a decent answer i thought i'd give G35Driver a shot.

I recently had my car audio upgraded by local car audio shop. At the time i wasn't aware of an option between the original double din kit or the aftermarket ones (Metra). So he went ahead and put the Metra kit in. I'm pretty happy with it, except for the fact that the buttons are not that pretty.

A month later my A/C started playing up. It works fine except that the temperature control doesn't seem to be working correctly. If i set it to 18º (celcius) it blows cool air, but if i put the temp up just .5º up it starts blowing hot air. So either it's really cold or hot! There's no difference between 18.5º and 32º.

It also seems that the controller doesn't recall my last setting for the A/C. It always starts on full blast and Leg fan on.

I wanted to call and talk to the dude who put it in about this but i can't be sure whether this is caused by his installation or just purely something else.

My questions are :

1. Could this be caused by improper wiring or a faulty metra A/C Controller ?
2. Is there a way to check what might be causing this myself? e.g Fuses
3. If this is caused by the A/C controller Can anyone tell me where to get a new A/C controller (Dual climate control) with black plastic buttons?

Sorry for the long post, Thanks in advance guys

Old 07-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Is your climate control set to Auto? or Auto AC?

If the AUTO is engaged:
When you turn the car on and its hot outside it should almost always blow full speed. At least for a short while. Once the temps have been reduced inside the vehicle the fan speed should go down. It will also change which vents are being used depending on the outside temp, AC clutch engagement, and desired inside temp, and if dual climate control is being engaged.

if the MANUAL is engaged:
The fan speed should not change at all. It should be a constant whether you just turned it on or not.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
Is your climate control set to Auto? or Auto AC?

If the AUTO is engaged:
When you turn the car on and its hot outside it should almost always blow full speed. At least for a short while. Once the temps have been reduced inside the vehicle the fan speed should go down. It will also change which vents are being used depending on the outside temp, AC clutch engagement, and desired inside temp, and if dual climate control is being engaged.

if the MANUAL is engaged:
The fan speed should not change at all. It should be a constant whether you just turned it on or not.
Hi. Whether it's on Auto or Manual, every time i turn it on it goes to full blast first until i reduce the fan speed. But really that doesn't bother me if the temp control works.

I asked some more people here and the think it's because of the Metra controller. I should've gotten the JDM.The thing is, i can't afford to buy one if only to find out that the problem isn't with the controller
How can i be sure?

Anyone else with similar problem?

Old 07-06-2009, 05:36 AM
Turned out to be a faulty a/c controller. Another reason to stay away from Metra Kits. Got the jdm one, problem solved

Old 07-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The jdm kit disables your dual climate control? Is that kit still plastic?

Old 07-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by geew1z
The jdm kit disables your dual climate control? Is that kit still plastic?
Yep. Good 'ol hard plastic. With a slight haptic feel to it i love so much!

It didn't come with a dual climate control button. So i had an electronic wiz remove the switch and the button from my original controller then soldered it in the new one. There's quite a few tutorial of doing just this out there i believe.