G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

If Acura TL were AWD or RWD would you have...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 02:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If Acura TL were AWD or RWD would you have...

I just read a thread someone started about "Car and Drivers" comparison of sport/luxury sedans. The G35 Won, but the article said the TL would have won if it were RWD. So, how many of you who bought the G35 sedan would have bought the Acura TL if it had been RWD or AWD?

Damn, I'm still struggling between the G and the TL.

Old 07-23-2004, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: If Acura TL were AWD or RWD would you have...

For my new company car, I narrowed it down to the Infiniti G35 Sedan and the Acura TL (after also considering the Mazda 6s, BMW 3 Series, and Audi A4). It was a very tough decision for me, but as you can see, the Infiniti G35 won out in the end mainly b/c the TL is a FWD and it still felt like a more powerful Honda Accord. I liked the TL's interior but it felt a bit cramped (the rear seats are definitely smaller in the TL than in the G35). Another factor in my decision was the fact that it seems (at least here in S. Florida) that most of the Acura TL drivers are older retirees for some reason (btw - my mother-in-law drives one as well ;-), and most Infiniti G35 drivers are younger (I guess b/c it has a more sporty look and feel; after all, it really is a 4-door 350Z). In addition, we also have an '03 Infiniti FX35 which I love so it just seemed like a natural transition to go for the G35...same VQ engine, similar interior buttons, same Navi system, etc.

So, if the TL were a RWD, I might have chosen it instead, but since that wasn't the case, I chose the G35 and haven't regretted it for 1 sec.! I've read that b/c the TL is based on the FWD Honda Accord platform, it will probably will not change to RWD. AWD for '05 perhaps???? ....doubt it. It kind of comes down to...is the Acura TL's interior more important to you than the G35's driving experience? It's your choice. Personally, I like the interior of the G35 (see the other thread on the G35 interior). Either way, they''re both excellent sports sedans. ;-)

2004.5 G35-S 5AT Black/Willow - Prem, R. Spoiler, Navi, Infiniti Sport Wheels, Alum Pedals, Dark Tint, Z Tube, K&N Filter<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by bsgoren on 07/23/04 11:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 07-23-2004, 02:46 PM

If the TL were RWD, it would be a very very difficult decision. The TL has a lot going for it, so it would come down to nickle and diming on the price and comparing the insignificant options and amenities.

2003.5 Sedan 6MT Silver on Graphite
Premium | Aero | Sport | Tints

Old 07-23-2004, 03:04 PM

it would be a close call. But i'd still go G35 because of the exterior styling is more fresh and the TL is mostly a old mans car. The TL is nice but too bland and understated for me personally. The G35 also has more power in the lower rpm range. Also the price is another factor in hawaii. The acura dealership does not go under msrp no matter what.

still both are excellent choices, I can't see how you can be unhappy with either one.

Old 07-23-2004, 03:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be a hard decision!...both cars are tight!

"Is simplicity best or simply the easiest"

Old 07-23-2004, 03:18 PM

Styling wise the G is so much nicer to look at!!!! Although, I like the TL interior more, I would still get the G.

03.5 G35S 5AT - Desert Platinum/Graphite/350Z Tube/Clear corners/HG kit/20% Tint

Old 07-23-2004, 03:46 PM

I was also considering the TL, but nothing beats the VQ!

Old 07-23-2004, 04:41 PM

G has more attitude, the TL is too soft (too refined).

Plus, no V6 matches the VQ.

Don't know though, it'd still be a tough decision.

04 6MT Sedan - Z Tube, Stillen CAB, 04 Z Suspension

Old 07-23-2004, 05:36 PM

To answer your question - NO!
A test drive of both should help make your decision, it sure did for me.

2004.5 AT Sedan DG Premium Sport

Old 07-23-2004, 08:05 PM

I agree w/ Brian. TL is a little soft. Nice ride though.
Tough decision, but if the TL were RWD, I'd get it over the G.
More room, little more comfortable. But, not as quick.

2K4 G35S 6MT, Diamond Graphite/Graphite, Premium Pkg
2K2 GS300 5AT SportDesign, Millenium Silver/Black

Old 07-23-2004, 09:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If my Grandma had b*lls, she'd be my Grandpa - what kind of question is this?

If the TL were rear-wheel or all-wheel drive, it would be engineered completely differently, and would be a totally different car altogether, with very different ride, handling, and performance characteristics. It would also, due to the expense in engineering and building a car unlike anything else they sell (not talkin' SUV now - different animal and different arena), be either A) a LOT more expensive, and thus no longer in the same price range as the "G" or B) Cut a LOT of corners on things like interior design and materials, stereo and related electronic equipment, etc. in order to hit the price point of it's present competition in the market (sound familiar, "G" owners??).

My $0.01........

Sport Sedan Fan - 2004 6MT Sedan
Sport/Navigation/Premium/Aero; "Invisiguard" Bra, Madico Onyx Tint
Obsidian Black/Graphite & "Titanium"
SHE'S SILVER & BLACK - GO RAIDERS!

Old 07-23-2004, 10:31 PM

I think this is a fair question. After all, it would put the TL and G35 on more or less equal footing and probably make brand preference a more significant purchase criteria.

For me, it would have been hard to pass up a TL with rwd or 4wd. I owned a Legend Coupe for 10 years. It was a very good experience. Very low maintenance. Good experience with the dealerships. Overall, it was a very solid value.

Plus, I tend to stay with brands and businesses that I've had good experience with. I've owned a lot of Sony TVs, had mostly Intel-based computers, and frequent the same stores and restaurants that took care of me in the past. An rwd/awd TL would have been very compelling.

I wouldn't buy the car for it's interior and if this hypothetical TL was boring to drive as compared to the G35 ... no sale.

Cale

04 G35X

Old 07-23-2004, 10:45 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I believe that if it were RWD, more $$ would've been pumped into that in its development, rather than interior refinement. You can't have it all. By the time Acura wises up and gives it RWD, Infiniti will have more than caught up with interior aesthetics, and then we're in the same spots again.

The G has a leg-up on performance, the TL has a leg-up on 'froo-froo'. Whether you like one or the other, it's totally up to you. If we had more toys, we'd have less fun. If they had more fun, they'd have less toys.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint
<font color=blue>Z-tube, Pop-charger, Borla True-Dual Exhaust, Eibach Pro Kit, GroundingGear</font color=blue>

Old 07-24-2004, 12:18 AM

I read in Autoweek that the TL will be availale in AWD - but RWD is still better for shear perfornance.

Old 07-24-2004, 12:56 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i have test driven both cars and i'm telling you right now i would not hesitate to buy the TL even in it's current form. so what if it's just FWD it's still a tight looking car. compare it side by side with the g sedan just for the looks not taking to account that it's a fwd vs rwd. hands down the winner will still be TL fit and finish in the interior is excellent. people complain about how it looks like an over price accord. so is the g sedan not an over price altima so what the hell is the difference? people keep bringing up the tranny issues of the TL well what about the tranny issues of the G both on the coupe and sedan models? the thing is everyone prefer different cars people have different taste. my brother and i are exact opposite in taste on everything from cloths to cars. so who is to say that the TL or G is better than the other? everything is a matter of opinion just go with what you want you are the one driving it not the other guy. screw him and his opinion on your choice. again people this is just my 2 cents on the matter no flame intended on any sedan owners.

<font color=blue>04 CB COUPE / WILLOW / PREM PACK</font color=blue>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If Acura TL were AWD or RWD would you have...