G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Advice needed, First Post.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed, First Post.

Hello to all. Ive been using this forum for a while now for tons of info and just decided to join today to ask all you experts for some advice. I have a 2004 BS Sedan and im havin a problem with the door on the little storage cubby above the glove box. The leather cover is peeling off the plastic back (damn ex couldnt keep her feet off the dash). Anyways, i was wondering if anyone had any advice on how i could fix this or how to replace it. Thanks in Advance for any info.

Attached Thumbnails Advice needed, First Post.-0716091932.jpg   Advice needed, First Post.-0716091933.jpg   Advice needed, First Post.-0716091933a.jpg  
Old 07-17-2009, 12:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Yikes, that sucks, sorry to hear that. It must be driving you nuts! I think I've seen others on here w/ this problem before, not sure on the fix though.

What are those orange things in the vents...air fresheners?

Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by jimmyc13
Yikes, that sucks, sorry to hear that. It must be driving you nuts! I think I've seen others on here w/ this problem before, not sure on the fix though.

What are those orange things in the vents...air fresheners?
Ya its been bugging the **** out of me for a while now lol ive done some searches on here for a remedy for it but ive come up empty handed.

Yes those are just air fresheners i found at the local auto parts store when i was getting oil change stuff. Cherry scented haha. Wanted to see if they were stronger or lasted longer than my usual can of California Car scents.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DUDE I WOULDVE CHOPPED OFF THOSE LEGS!
I NEVER, I MEAN NEVER LET ANYONE PUT THEIR FEET UP.
its like going to someones house and stepping on their pillows with shoes on.
mind as well liquid nail the crap out of it.

p.s. that mustve been one smelly feet, to melt down all that glue. lol

Old 07-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by 350GT-R
DUDE I WOULDVE CHOPPED OFF THOSE LEGS!
I NEVER, I MEAN NEVER LET ANYONE PUT THEIR FEET UP.
its like going to someones house and stepping on their pillows with shoes on.
mind as well liquid nail the crap out of it.

p.s. that mustve been one smelly feet, to melt down all that glue. lol
Haha ya i definately should have.

Ya i thought about tryin somethin like that the only problem is that i cant seem to get the damn thing apart. I took all the screws out of the back of it and can get to separate but i have no idea how to get it off of the hinges. Without bein able to do that its gonna be a pain in the a$$ to get it glued back on properly. It doesnt even look like it was originally glued on but more like it was a press fit between the plastic.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:15 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
I hate people putting feet on the dash! It annoys me everytime i'm driving down the highway and i look over and some chick has her feet up on the dash with dirty flip flops.

Of course if she's cute....gotta check it out at least

As for adhesive to use....go to Home depot and go to the adhesive aisle. Look for "3M super 90" adhesive. It is high strenght and will withstand high interior heat. I've used this stuff to redo headliners all the time and it holds nicely.

When you use it, make sure you mask off whatever you don't want to get adhesive on. I'd recommend a roll of that blue painters masking tape. Tape the frontside off and then spray where you want to glue. Hold it for maybe 5 mins or so and then let it dry a few hours. It will be permanent.

Of course, i'd take the box out to do this.

Old 07-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I hate people putting feet on the dash! It annoys me everytime i'm driving down the highway and i look over and some chick has her feet up on the dash with dirty flip flops.

Of course if she's cute....gotta check it out at least

As for adhesive to use....go to Home depot and go to the adhesive aisle. Look for "3M super 90" adhesive. It is high strenght and will withstand high interior heat. I've used this stuff to redo headliners all the time and it holds nicely.

When you use it, make sure you mask off whatever you don't want to get adhesive on. I'd recommend a roll of that blue painters masking tape. Tape the frontside off and then spray where you want to glue. Hold it for maybe 5 mins or so and then let it dry a few hours. It will be permanent.

Of course, i'd take the box out to do this.
Haha ya i know what you mean. Girls need to get there damn respect issues in check and quit ruinin us guy's expensive rides. I had a girl a few months back spill an entire mountain dew all over my center console and passeger seat including the floor area so my passenger seat slider switch no longer works either so thats another thing i gotta replace.

As to the adhesive, from your description im guessin its a spray? Is there anything ud reccomend thats like in a tube or anything lol id prefer to do this without tryin to take the whole glove box out but if thats what I need to do then ill do it. Looks like thats gonna be my Saturday project including painting my grill.

Thanks for the info.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by Infiniti87
Haha ya i know what you mean. Girls need to get there damn respect issues in check and quit ruinin us guy's expensive rides. I had a girl a few months back spill an entire mountain dew all over my center console and passeger seat including the floor area so my passenger seat slider switch no longer works either so thats another thing i gotta replace.

As to the adhesive, from your description im guessin its a spray? Is there anything ud reccomend thats like in a tube or anything lol id prefer to do this without tryin to take the whole glove box out but if thats what I need to do then ill do it. Looks like thats gonna be my Saturday project including painting my grill.

Thanks for the info.
spray wouldnt work great, im a fashion student, so no.
it will stick for like a sec, and then ewwwww glue goo spreading everywhere.
lol
so its better to use like liquid nail or something that comes from a tube.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Infiniti87
Haha ya i definately should have.

Ya i thought about tryin somethin like that the only problem is that i cant seem to get the damn thing apart. I took all the screws out of the back of it and can get to separate but i have no idea how to get it off of the hinges. Without bein able to do that its gonna be a pain in the a$$ to get it glued back on properly. It doesnt even look like it was originally glued on but more like it was a press fit between the plastic.
try to look around for DIY or just simply ask a local shop to help. or.... u can figure it out urself and write it up and do ur own diy. lol.
experiment!

Old 07-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by 350GT-R
try to look around for DIY or just simply ask a local shop to help. or.... u can figure it out urself and write it up and do ur own diy. lol.
experiment!
Looks like thats what im gonna be doin tomorrow! Couldnt find a DIY or anything so maybe ill be the first!

Old 07-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
try j.b. weld .once you get it off the dash. that stuff will hold anything together. lol

and heres a link for you to download the g35 service manual ..

look through it im sure it can show you how its put together and so forth ..

good luck hope this helps ..

http://carservicemanuals.blogspot.co...anual-pdf.html

Old 07-19-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by IMAFUKINRIDER
try j.b. weld .once you get it off the dash. that stuff will hold anything together. lol

and heres a link for you to download the g35 service manual ..

look through it im sure it can show you how its put together and so forth ..

good luck hope this helps ..

http://carservicemanuals.blogspot.co...anual-pdf.html
I was going to try and find the exsploded upper dash view page in my manual but this is a much better deal, it does come apart just take your time. My upper glovebox door has done (is doing) the same thing-I glued it with some goop, worked for about a year but it is starting to seperate again. This time I'm going to take it to and upolstry shop that does both auto and boat upolstry, they deal with this kind of stuff every day, I might get something embroided on it?

Old 07-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Gorilla glue....

Old 07-19-2009, 03:06 PM
It should be easy:

After you have it out try removing what is left with a heat gun to soften the glue. Then glue everything back together. Good luck!!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Thanks Everyone for all the awesome info. I didnt get around to tackling this repair this weekend but hopefully next weekend ill get it taken care of. I did However remove the Red plastic line things in my reverse lights. Took me a whole twenty mins. Ill keep you posted on how the repair goes and how i ended up repairing it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Advice needed, First Post.