G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Four new tires at 18K!?!?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Q45tech
My Q is as new even with 267,000 miles as well over $16,000 [at retail] of parts have been replaced-------not necessarily because they failed just that the components wore and were not performing as new. I am a perfectionist mechanically so I feel and measure and track down vibrations which 99.9% of owners would ignore.
Over the years I learned the hard way about tires! Almost every experiment turned out bad from a cost perspective.
Not necessarily from initial cost, as I avail myself of Tire Rack bargains and close outs for my experiments*. But from frustration and time required to keep many brands vibration free.

Michelins uses extra strong but expensive components and precision manufacturing proceedures that humans can't achieve continuously in an 8 hour shift.
Many workers at human intensive plants make good tires most of the time but there are time of day and day of week variances that get shipped.

It is always a BAD SIGN when a brand new tire takes more than 5-10 grams per side to balance. I have my wheels marked as to their imbalance [and replace wheels when they alone require over 10 grams per side] to stand alone balance!

Most of my wheels are 2-3 grams per side [a standard well beyond the oem as new spec]. A result of hours of fine grinding on a wheel lathe............so any weights are tire imbalances alone!

When a KH-11 requies 50-60 grams [total inside and out to balance] I know I bought a really bad Friday afternoon Dog, When all 4 require that I know the low cost factory has problems. Or to cut cost they cut costs.

* Ocassionally I buy inexpensive tires to try to find satisfactory substitutes for Michelin. All of these are given away after roughly 8,000 miles to poor relatives or just set out hoping they get stolen.

When you study tire manufactures profits [7% operating margin] you will see that Michelin doesn't make all that much vs sales.......maybe they are putting it into the tires?
My brand new 2005 G35 had some shimmie at 60 mph so I took it in to the local tire place to have the tires rebalanced. The shimmie is gone, but the weights almost doubled in every case. I have the following setup now:

left front 5 x 5 grams (small rectangle 5 gram weight)
left rear 5 x 5 grams
right front 8 x 5 grams
right rear 2 x 5 grams

Doesn't this seem like a crap load?

Old 02-14-2005, 11:44 PM
"As I am in San Diego, it might be a long time before rain."

That theory sure has been tested since about Xmas 04.

Man, will this rain ever stop.

Old 02-15-2005, 05:40 AM
Originally Posted by alderran
You guys must really drive the car hard ... my wife is always complaining about my driving but my tires (Turanza) still look practically new at 20K miles. Well new may be a bit of an exageration but I bet I get 40K out of them

2003.5 5AT Sedan Black/Black Premium/Winter Packages

My GS-D's were done at 14K. I waited to 15K before I finally got them replaced with Yokohama AVS ES100's. I only rotated the GS-D's once and by around 14K the rear's were total slicks - like really slicks as in solid all the way across.

The ES100's are absolutely brilliant so far. I only have about 260 miles on them but I took them for a little test where I didn't push the car to the limit but was probably using about 75% of the car's capacity and the tyres gripped like none other compared to the GS-D's and had way more road feel without pulling on the steering wheel.

The only thing that was a little disconcerting was when I did one hard braking test into a turn from about 85 to 30 and the rears slightly locked and it seemed like a go-kart where the entire car starts to slide with locked or slightly locked rear brakes and you slide it a bit but still having it under control. It's fine for a kart, but not for a car. I feel after the coating on the tyres wear off around 500 miles or so this won't happen. It was a bit strange because lateral grip was definetly increased, especially in lower speed corners where I used to have a lot of understeer (like 15-25mph hairpins).

As far as driving hard alderran, it is probably a lot harder than most G owners will push their cars. I doubt many will ever take their cars close to the limits on an even somewhat frequent basis and do it with consistency not just go plunging into a corner fast and have TC sort things out and say 'wooha'.

Anyone drive up Hwy 9 and Skyline regularly? If you want a driving buddy I'm down to go. I usually go Friday and Saturday nights at 10pm-1am that way there are no other cars on the roads up there.

Old 02-15-2005, 10:16 AM
My EL-42 Have about 12000 miles on em and still look good. They do a fine job for me here in So. Fla. I am an aggressive driver but not a burnout , slam on the brakes kind of driver. I have fun with my machine but don't abuse it. Of course, I enjoy the quick pickup on the hwy and passing fast when I want or need to. Sometimes , a quick chirp is heard but that is an extreme rarity.

Old 02-15-2005, 10:37 AM
el42s

I got EL42s on my 05 sedan as well. They do not do much very well. Oh yea they wear out well.!!! They suck in the snow and the people I talk to usually replace them with less than 20Kmiles.

I WOULD NOT have the dealer change them!!! I would go to a tire place for that. Get something decent and you're good to go for maybe two years.

If you do a lot of highway miles I can see getting about 25K on them.

Old 02-15-2005, 10:43 AM
You know how you can prolong the life of your tires get summer and winter wheel if it applys to you I live in Mn and I have summer and winter wheels and my stock tires will last a long time as for the summer wheels no thats a different story!

Old 02-15-2005, 10:45 AM
el42s

I got EL42s on my 05 sedan as well. They do not do much very well. Oh yea they wear out well.!!! They suck in the snow and the people I talk to usually replace them with less than 20Kmiles.

I WOULD NOT have the dealer change them!!! I would go to a tire place for that. Get something decent and you're good to go for maybe two years.

If you do a lot of highway miles I can see getting about 25K on them.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:01 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
echo

echo