G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

FML (wheel fail, headache content)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 04:59 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
FML (wheel fail, headache content)

So the past few days, (probably make that weeks) I have been working on refinishing my new wheels. I started sanding them a few weeks ago and spent 2 or 3 days doing so. Got them nice and prepped and ready for paint.

Paint went out like a charm and everything was going great, got my custom center caps done and they look great. Then I took some photos and realized I wanted to make the sides of the spokes and the lug wholes a little darker since they didn't get hit with as much paint. BUT I read on the can that you can reapply paint after the paint has cured. So I phoned duplicolor and asked if it would be ok to lightly sand them and then put more paint on. She assured me all would be fine in doing so.

So, I scuffed up the paint with 220 grit and taped off the face of the spokes and the face so I could spray into the lug wholes. At first it seems fine and I let it sit for a a few minutes so it would be dry to the touch, come back and peel the tape off first ****. The **** tape broke down with the paint fumes and left adhesive all over the faces. So goo gone to the rescue! Worked pretty well until I realized the that a few spots around the lug hols looked weird, closer inspection, paint bubbled second ****. So frustrated, tired and high off aerosol I figure what the hell it looks alright. So I clean up the adhesive and coat the wheels with more paint. All is going well and the weird spots are actually starting to look pretty again once they filled with paint. So I wait an hour and the wheels are lookin pretty good. (can says 1hour before adding clear no more than 2) So I start applying my clear coat, I learned last time I used this stuff it's better to put it on a little thicker than in really thin coats as thin coats leave a rough ugly surface. So applying it all it well wait ten minutes go back and apply another coat and then one more another 10 mins. I go vacuum and what not and then come back about 30-40 minutes later.

Third **** of the night, the paint underneath the clear coat is bubbling, BLACK, On ONE wheel and non of the others....

Moral of the story, when you finish something and it looks 9/10 good DO NOT try to make it a 10. 10s don't exist, it's like you're dating this girl that is super awesome and she's maybe a 7 in the looks department but you find this chick that is a 10... like damn fine, then you go for her and a few weeks later you find out she is bi polar with a ex con ex boyfriend named snake who decides he want's his 10 back.

Wheels are going to armor powder coating tomorrow.

I hate my life.

I think I'm baked from aerosol cans, I'll read this tomorrow and let you know.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:00 AM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
great job though! turned out great

Old 11-11-2009, 09:02 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow those look sick!

Old 11-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
They do look awesome, stick with it B.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The rims look great man. I know exactly how you feel. When I do paint projects / artsy kind of stuff - I never get everything 100%

Like lining up my sides (face), I get one side so perfect, then the other side close to, but then F%#@ up and have to shave it all off...

Anyways, your plan for your car seems to be coming along nicely. I won't let any secrets out - have not followed up on your threads - you may already have... Where are the pics of the progress of the project?

You should have grabbed those clear JDM bump corners from me - I have a buyer meeting me in Brampton tomorrow. You can always get them through RiverSide though! Just though I would give you first dibs on them.

Anyways - best of luck man, your a good guy and offer good ideas etc.. for the community.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i think that color combo with ur car's paint will give it a nice clean combo thats not to over done, looks good and good luck man!

Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Post up some pics of your fail so we can share your pain. Pic above looks really good though.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny how i had the same idea just different color lugnuts and and different color vinyl. Lol looking good.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:01 PM
That photo was takin before I went to work for the second time. One wheels is totally bubbled up around where the center cap goes in and it bubbled in where the spokes meet the lip.

I wish I had just left them the way they were

Old 11-11-2009, 03:07 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Sounds like you've got a surface contaminant on there causing the problems. You need to sand and then wash diligently. I'm talking 3 to 4 washing and then hitting it with rubbing alcohol. Oil is the most likely culprit.

Old 11-11-2009, 03:10 PM
They were fully cleaned and lightly sanded prior to adding more paint. I paint in the back of my work where nothing gets stirred up and nothing could have fallen onto the wheels. Which is why I am so confused!!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DGS
They were fully cleaned and lightly sanded prior to adding more paint. I paint in the back of my work where nothing gets stirred up and nothing could have fallen onto the wheels. Which is why I am so confused!!
The oil from your hands can cause it. What type of soap are you using? off gases from the paint underneath could be causing the problem to if it's been humid , cold, or too warm and the paint didn't have adequate time to cure (about 3 days for rattle can).

Old 11-11-2009, 03:37 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Looks good man. I like the color combo.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:35 PM
The previous coat and clear had sat for about 8 days or more.

Good news, I have sanded down the ****ed uo wheel and the other 3 look pretty good. They have minor imperfections that I will notice every time I clean them but I doubt anyone else will notice the flaws. I'm going to go back tonight and work on that one wheel. So far it looks pretty smooth, so we'll see how it goes. They are much more bronze now which is truly what I wanted so I guess I sacrificed a perfect finish for a deeper more bronze finish.

New pictures will be up before the weekend, I think next winter when they come off I'll strip them and have them powder coated.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
btw are those stock lugnuts? doesn't look like it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: FML (wheel fail, headache content)