G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Snow Button

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2009 | 09:53 AM
|
Snow Button

Due to the current blizzard, I've had to use the snow button quite a bit over the past few days. Additionally, some streets are perfectly cleared while others still have patches of snow/ice. Thus, I find myself engaging/releasing the snow button quite a few times during a single drive.

I'm not sure if pressing/releasing the button during driving can cause any harm, so if anyone can provide any insight on these two questions, I would be most appreciative.

1.) Does the car need to be stopped before engaging/releasing the snow button?

2.) What gear should the car be in when engaging/releasing the snow button?

thanks!

Old 12-21-2009 | 09:58 AM
Stop pushing that damn thing, you're making it snow!!

If I were you and suspected there'd be any snow on my drive, I'd just leave it on. I'll let those with direct 'X'perience elaborate.

Old 12-21-2009 | 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by jmcohen23
Due to the current blizzard, I've had to use the snow button quite a bit over the past few days. Additionally, some streets are perfectly cleared while others still have patches of snow/ice. Thus, I find myself engaging/releasing the snow button quite a few times during a single drive.

I'm not sure if pressing/releasing the button during driving can cause any harm, so if anyone can provide any insight on these two questions, I would be most appreciative.

1.) Does the car need to be stopped before engaging/releasing the snow button?

2.) What gear should the car be in when engaging/releasing the snow button?

thanks!

As its completely electronic, it doesnt matter when you press or release the button.

Old 12-21-2009 | 11:24 AM
May as well just keep it on if you are turning it on and off that often. On Saturday with all the snow I pretty much just left the button on all day and the car was a dream to drive (I think i drove around 100 miles going back and forth getting ready for a christmas party). You can drive around with snow button all the time, it just won't be as quick off the line.

From some release on NissanNews.com that I found: Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.

Old 12-21-2009 | 11:37 AM
Doesn't matter, although if it's snowing, i highly doubt you are pressing the button on and off at a speed over 20MPH.

I do find that you need to let off the gas pedal before pressing the snow button before the throttle response comes back. So usually i let off the gas, flip the button and then get back on the gas.

I find myself leaving it in normal mode more than anything. The car is just as capable in normal mode in the snow than it is in snow mode. If i need to park or rock out of a parking space, i use SNOW though

Old 12-21-2009 | 12:59 PM
I just put on a set of Continental ExtremeWinter Contacts on Friday. On Sunday I went out to try my X for the first time in real snow/ice. I started out with the snow switch on. I found it boring. Turned the "snow" off and had fun. The accelleration was awsome. Rear wheel drive cars were slewing sideways. I just punched it, lit the slip light, blasted straight and true. Even when I tried to induce oversteer it was only momentary.

Old 12-21-2009 | 01:09 PM
|
thanks ya'll.

so it seems to be most noticeable when giving gas, and does not impact the gears.

Old 12-21-2009 | 06:51 PM
Yea it wont mess up your car, the concept of turning off the car to turn you car to snow mode is just retarded. Nissan engineers are much smarter than that lol.

Old 12-21-2009 | 06:56 PM
some one just pushed the rain button here gawd damn it!

Well, just drizzle - but ****, we've had an inch of rain already... give it a rest... we're good for another year as far as I'm concerned.

Old 12-23-2009 | 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by caly2121
May as well just keep it on if you are turning it on and off that often. On Saturday with all the snow I pretty much just left the button on all day and the car was a dream to drive (I think i drove around 100 miles going back and forth getting ready for a christmas party). You can drive around with snow button all the time, it just won't be as quick off the line.

From some release on NissanNews.com that I found: Another unique feature of the G35 AWD system design is the addition of a Snow-Mode function, which reduces throttle sensitivity and fixes initial torque distribution at 50:50, helping avoid wheel spin for smooth starts on snowy roads. At speeds above 12 miles per hour, the Snow-Mode function allows the central computer processing system to take over again, continually monitoring traction conditions and changing the torque distribution as needed.
you're from king of prussia?
to tell you the truth. awd mode stinks going downhill around fort washington.
i was going down Susquehanna drive heading to Old York Rd and wooo!!! my car was drifting on ice! held that car sideways looking at oncoming traffic and slide to the opposite side staring at the traffic behind me caught it again and omg!! it was so fun!! ^o^ everyone got out their car to check if i was alright, i smiled. they said "you totally had that! i would've spun out at the first slide" in my head: "noob" lol

Old 12-23-2009 | 06:24 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Premier Member
Doesn't sound fun, sounds dangerous. Be careful out there.

BTW where you been? Temp ban? Haven't seen you post in a while.

Old 12-23-2009 | 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by 350GT-R
you're from king of prussia?
i was going down Susquehanna drive heading to Old York Rd and wooo!!! my car was drifting on ice! held that car sideways looking at oncoming traffic and slide to the opposite side staring at the traffic behind me caught it again and omg!! it was so fun!! ^o^ everyone got out their car to check if i was alright, i smiled. they said "you totally had that! i would've spun out at the first slide" in my head: "noob" lol

haha, yup - I'm from KOP... uphill awd helps you but downhill you are pretty much under your own control... I manually shift to 3rd or 2nd, keeps me from doing anything stupid and saved my *** this past storm since somebody decided slamming on their brakes at the bottom of a pretty large hill was a good idea. snow is fun, ice sucks

Old 12-23-2009 | 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by 350GT-R
It won't

That's pretty much all on your tires

AWD, RWD and FWD doesn't matter going downhill. How much grip your tires have depends on how easy it is to go downhill.

Even with snow tires, i go uphill when I can

Old 12-23-2009 | 01:04 PM
-MN G Crew-
Staff Alumni
Premier Member
^Did you ever get those snow tires? Hows it do?

Our 08 X is all over the place this year. Tires are bald so yea, and my parents are far to cheap to put new tires on it because 'its a lease'. lol

Old 12-23-2009 | 01:35 PM
Yes, huge difference. Much more control and stability and the biggest difference is in braking. Highly recommend anyone with an X get a set of snow tires. Big difference in performance.

Now i gotta track down a set of OEM 18's or 19" cuz i trashed my old 17" tires and don't want to have to buy another set.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow Button