G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Mobil 1 actually causes more wear, tests show...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allforthecash
an additional note to all this.....i also found out that putting fine grains of sand...white beach sand being the best...mixed in with the oil ..also helps engine life...

M1 and M1 Filter from day one..on everycar....period. Last car had 160k on it...still running strong when it sold
I second this comment. I had a Honda Prelude a few cars back and drove it 140k and still ran strong after I sold it. The only thing i did to this car was regular maintenance (fluid changes, etc) and replaced the CV boots at around 100k. Sure it's a Honda, and Honda's run forever, but I give it up to M1. I'm sure it had something to do with it. Most cars don't run 140k + miles without any engine work.

I hope my G lasts that long .

Old 06-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Yea... and I just saw Elvis at McDonald's

This is one of the problems with the INTERNET, you have too many self appointed "experts" (better known as - IDIOTS) on the web that have way too much time on their hands

So after drinking a couple of cases of Natty light a couple of morons decide to start doing "oil testing". The credentials these guys have are limited to the fact that they found a way to buy beer with Food Stamps, and they figured out how to put a web site up.

Old 06-16-2005, 11:48 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been in half a dozen INfiniti dealerships that promote M-1 oil. To me that says a lot.
C.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How often do you change your oil?
I use Mobil 1 and change about every 5K....am I going to regret this later?
and maybe even have the dealer spank me for any future possible warranty repair?

Old 06-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
I've been in half a dozen INfiniti dealerships that promote M-1 oil. To me that says a lot.
C.
Well said! I'm sure there is a "better" synthetic out there (Amsoil, maybe) but M1 is definitely in the top 5.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Oil? Forget oil. I use Pine-Sol.

Love that exhaust smell.... Mmmm.

Old 06-17-2005, 11:16 AM
G'z 6MT
Quote from Doc Holiday: "I will not be pawed at, Thank You very much!!!"

I'll stick with my Mobile1.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:04 PM
Bobistheoilguy = http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ Never heard of 'Bob the Internet Study Guy'. Well worth reading the discussions

Old 06-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Premier Member

This is a old thread btw, and 90% of the time I have my facts straight. BTW, I am a Amsoil dealer too. I use to use Mobil 1 all the time. I still would use it if I wanted to just pick up some synthetic. The new Mobil 1 is much better than the older formulas which did show more wear. And if you actually read through this topic before beign a smart *** you would see all I did was copy and pasted the subject and info from clublexus.com. Get your facts straight before blaming the poster of this thread.

Originally Posted by JKWright
So someone reads one of those so-called "internet studies" by Bob the Internet Study Guy, gets the whole thing ***-backwards and posts a thead indicating that Mobil 1 "causes more wear, tests show." (More wear than what? Five quarts of sand? Pure PTFE? Saliva? Who knows?) Then another guy chimes in with the infamous my-cousin-the-expert-said line that agrees with the initial fallacy.

Really. Guys with any real-world car smarts are laughing hysterically. Here's a the proper, verbatim summation of Bob The Internet Study Guy's Mobil 1 test:

That's it. BTISG's biggest concern was that by 18,000 miles the oil's thickness (viscosity) had jumped, resulting in an increase in oil pressure. Not exactly an unexpected result. Considering that no one in his right mind would leave any oil -- synthetic or not -- in his crankcase for that many miles, this observation is interesting only in a theoretical sense.

Mobil 1 is an excellent synthetic oil that's been race- and street-proven for many, many years. I've used it off an on for the better part of two decades in various cars, most notably a '91 Sentra SE-R that I owned for 10 years. When I sold the car in 2001 the engine consumed no oil and zinged to its 7750-rpm rev limiter with the same rabid sewing-machine jump it had when new.

I do believe that at least one other, less-commercially-available synthetic oil may be a better product across the board (Amsoil). But Mobil 1 is, and has been, an excellent solution for severe driving conditions, owing to its stable viscosity over a much wider range of temperatures as compared with standard organic oils. It doesn't get as thick when cold and doesn't thin out as much when hot, providing better cold flow and protection against thermal shear at higher temperatures.

The poster of this thread should get his facts together before misleading other G35 owners with this garbage. The Fox News comment was apropo.

Last edited by G35_TX; 06-17-2005 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by G35_TX
This is a old thread btw, and 90% of the time I have my facts straight. BTW, I am a Amsoil dealer too. I use to use Mobil 1 all the time. I still would use it if I wanted to just pick up some synthetic. The new Mobil 1 is much better than the older formulas which did show more wear. And if you actually read through this topic before beign a smart *** you would see all I did was copy and pasted the subject and info from clublexus.com. Get your facts straight before blaming the poster of this thread.
I knew your name looked familar. You were on the SE-R list as well as my brother and I. I also owned a 91 SE-R and my brother a 92 SE-R. Let's see how good your memory is with this symbol. "-Z-"

Old 06-17-2005, 09:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
C.
Unfortunately... this is false logic. Doesn't the dealer also promote unnecessary maintenance items whenever you bring your G in for service? The dealer uses and recemmends whatever gives them the most business and the best profit... not because it's better.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by Wingsprint
This is one of the problems with the INTERNET, you have too many self appointed "experts" (better known as - IDIOTS) on the web that have way too much time on their hands

So after drinking a couple of cases of Natty light a couple of morons decide to start doing "oil testing". The credentials these guys have are limited to the fact that they found a way to buy beer with Food Stamps, and they figured out how to put a web site up.
Wingsprint... it seems that you don't place much value in "oil testing". Why are you knocking this practice? No fights now... just exploring (and respecting) another person's point of view.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by 05GSedan
I second this comment. I had a Honda Prelude a few cars back and drove it 140k and still ran strong after I sold it. The only thing i did to this car was regular maintenance (fluid changes, etc) and replaced the CV boots at around 100k. Sure it's a Honda, and Honda's run forever, but I give it up to M1. I'm sure it had something to do with it. Most cars don't run 140k + miles without any engine work.
My last car was a 96 Altima that got oil changes every 5,000 - 10,000 miles; basically whenever I remembered to change the oil. I sold it with 170K miles two years ago, and the engine is still running strong today with more than 200K. I used Fram oil filters and Castrol GTX of varying viscousities. I suspect that oil may not be as critical a component to long engine life, as many of us wish to believe, but I lack the expertise (and research) to make such a definitive statement.

Since getting the G I change my oil religiously and perform UOAs everytime. I don't do this to protect the engine, but more so as a hobby. I change my oil regular to be "better-safe-than-sorry".

Old 06-18-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
... and 90% of the time I have my facts straight... And if you actually read through this topic before beign a smart *** you would see all I did was copy and pasted the subject and info from clublexus.com.
If I'm to take you at your word on this, then your initial silly post falls into that 10 percent where you're talking out of your rear. What exactly did you hope to convey when you started this thread? Be specific.

Forgive me if I sound harsh. Yes, it's an old thread, but using your past ignorance as an excuse doesn't earn you a mulligan from me.

Old 06-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by JKWright
If I'm to take you at your word on this, then your initial silly post falls into that 10 percent where you're talking out of your rear. What exactly did you hope to convey when you started this thread? Be specific.

Forgive me if I sound harsh. Yes, it's an old thread, but using your past ignorance as an excuse doesn't earn you a mulligan from me.
Again, if you go back and read and stop being a noob on this site then you will see it wasn't my damn fault. Hate to say it, but it actually shows how ignorant you are. Oh like I care if it earns jack crap with you. You are new on this site. We don't need someone like you coming on here fighting over childish crap with the veterans whcih you obvious are doing. Get over it.

Let me do a copy and paste for you since you obviously can't read.

"http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

This is interesting if its true.

Quick copy and paste, but read full article above."

Let's see this is what I posted....and I even said, if its true (IF) is the big word. And QUICK COPY AND PASTE and link to article. I just posted it like anyone else would on a forum. So get over it JKWRIGHT. You are out of line on this one.

Last edited by G35_TX; 06-18-2005 at 09:28 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 actually causes more wear, tests show...