G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Coupe Midpipe & Z-Tube On 03.5 Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
Post Coupe Midpipe & Z-Tube On 03.5 Sedan

How do you think it will sound? I want kind of a deeper coupe/FX kinda sound but i dont really want it screaming at 2k rpm...ive thought about the HKS sport and coupe middy but i love the G stock sound so help me out i just wanna make my stock sound a little deeper with out rasp

Old 04-06-2010, 03:26 PM
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Old 04-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
once u put the coupe midpipe on>>> u wont be able to hear the Z-tube. The midpipe is going to going oto give you a deeper sound.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
^^ +1 to both. Read up first.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 135 Likes on 114 Posts
Thanks i tried searching and i found a lot on just the z tube and a lot on just the coupe middy i was wondering maybe combined they give off more haha

Old 04-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
^ Read up on DaveB. You'll find a lot of answers sifting through his threads.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:45 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
^^ +1 to both. Read up first.
I have to respectfully disagree. I have had multiple exhaust/intake set ups using:
plastic z tube
polished z tube
g tube
05 sedan mid pipe
06 coupe mid pipe
05 muffler
HKS muffler
HR y pipe
De y pipe
pop charger
rev up airbox
R2C intake

What I can tell you w/o a doubt is that each component adds a different tone to the sound output of your car. The z tube/ CM produces a completely different sound than a CM or z tube by itself. You will have a great tone to your exhaust with the CM/z tube combination with a stock muffler. I currently run an R2C intake, HR y pipe, polished z tube, CM, and the stock 05 muffler. By far my favorite combo to date and it looks pretty sweet in the engine bay as well.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the oem airbox(with K&N), z-tube, coupe mid-pipe, and the HKS sport on my sedan. The should is nice. It's not 'ricey" the mid-pipe added a little more drone to the sound but all of them together for me sounds great. You don't sound like a honda but when you get "on it" it can scream =)

Old 04-06-2010, 08:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ i have the exact same setup. agreed on all points.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Blue Dream - Tim, that was a long way to go just to ***** pics of your engine bay

But you certainly have tried all the combos, so I respect your opinion. Car sounds are pretty subjective and personal, luckily most of these parts are not too expensive to try/change out. I personally don't really hear the Z-tube growl with my current exhaust setup (z-middy and stock muff), hence my answer.

BUT... I have a CF Z-tube and you don't, so nyeah!

Last edited by Swivel; 04-07-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You still here the z-tube with an exhaust on, sounds like a mini-intake and you can hear from the outside as well too. Overtime you get used to it and just hear the exhaust though, guess it's because the z-tube is not that loud.

I certainly cant hear mine anymore lol Might have to drop a popcharger in there.

To the OP, your not going to get anything that sounds similar to the fx/coupe sound. Maybe just the coupe midpipe. That's about it, if you want the exact sound your going to have to fabricate the coupe's exhaust. Honestly i think the stock exhaust you have on now is the closest you will get to sounding like a coupe. Have someone drive your car while you stand outside and you will see. Anything else will just make it louder.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a stillen z-tube, k&n drop in, some sort of y-pipe(possibly megan, not really sure) and coupe midpipe and it sounds much better then stock, as far as power gains..lol idk it feels like it gained something i guess...i think the biggest advantage is that the sedan midpipe is like 500lbs so its a good weight redux mod.

Has anyone tried running an APEXi world sport muffler with the coupe midpipe? I was thinking about trying it but I can't decide between the 60mm and the 80mm, i mean the 80mm is probably overkill but i figure if I ever want to boost it down the road I could just get some larger piping and be set, but idk if it would sound odd to run stock piping to an 80mm muffler. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Agree with above posters, these OEM type mods won't make your car scream at 2K, will just tweak the sound a bit. Youd really have to do a number on our cars to make them sound ricey.

I have a coupe midpipe/Z-tube/Pop-charger combo and am happy with it. Can't say i've honestly been able to tell that much difference from the midpipe though. Not to take this way off subject, but my Motordyne spacer has been the only mod that has given me very noticeable gains in power/sound.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
Blue Dream - Tim, that was a long way to go just to ***** pics of your engine bay

But you certainly have tried all the combos, so I respect your opinion. Car sounds are pretty subjective and personal, luckily most of these parts are not too expensive to try/change out. I personally don't really hear the Z-tube growl with my current exhaust setup (z-middy and stock muff), hence my answer.

BUT... I have a CF Z-tube and you don't, so nyeah!
A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do right? Wait until this summer after I spend way too much money with SxExCx!! Then I'll have some great pics.

I totally agree that the exhaust sound is personal. That's why it took me so long to settle on the right combo. The general consensus here is coupe mid/HKS is the best and I liked it for a little bit, but the drone is what killed it for me.

My current set up is deep and throaty, yet very subtle. Enough for a G owner to know it's not stock, but not loud and obnoxious. I had a lady the other day who looked like she knew nothing about about cars (I could be totally wrong on this) tell me my car sounded great. I just smiled and said thanks!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
how big is the piping on hks?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Coupe Midpipe & Z-Tube On 03.5 Sedan