G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Bought Acura TL-S, but love the G!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought Acura TL-S, but love the G!

I got my TL-S about a month ago, but I have to admit that I start drooling whenever I see a G35 (sedan or coupe) on the road.

When I was car-shopping last month, the G was on my short list, along with the TL-S, A6, IS300, Maxima, and V6 Passat. I test drove most of the others before I drove the G, and hadn't read much about, or even seen up close, the G35. I had not really consider it a serious contender but thought I should drive it if just to confirm my initial feelings about it. After the test drive, I was hooked. While not initially impressed with the styling, it was growing on me (and now, I think it's a beautiful car). I was more impressed, however, with the performance during the short test drive. The torque is better than my TL-S as it responds immediately in a wider rev range. The TL-S responds pretty well, but there are certain ranges in the power band that respond too slowly for my taste. The ride was a bit stiffer than I would have liked for the type of car that I was looking for (mainly a decent-sized sedan that has a comfortable ride suitable for my 30 mile LA freeway commute). In short, the G35 was clearly the most fun car that I had driven in my vehicle search.

Anyway, after the test drive, I was enthused enough to try and make a deal for it (I was trading in my '96 Maxima SE manual). I wasn't really ready to buy at that moment, but if they made me a deal I couldn't refuse, I would have driven it away. In any case, the dealer (Cerritos Infiniti) were being very stingy about the price and my trade-in allowance. Plus they didn't have any Desert Platinums on the lot. They weren't budging much from the MSRP and only offered me $3800 for the Maxima, plus they were only offering 4.99% financing. The sales manager must have mentioned "Car of the Year" half a dozen times in an effort to justify their lack of discounting.
After that, I went home and checked out this message board and tried to get as much info as I could. One thing that really scared me were a couple of posts concerning gas mileage, where there were many who said that were getting between 15-18mpg. That was a huge advantage for the TL-S which most people were reporting between 20 and 26mpg. With 91 octane prices around $2.3x here in SoCal, I was very hesitant to go with the G.

In the end, I decided to go with the TL-S. It's performance is in the same ballpark as the G, it gets considerably better gas mileage, and I could get it for about $3000 less, comparably equipped, than the G (factoring in the trade-in allowance), and the ride is a bit smoother for my commute. Plus, Acura was offering 2.9% financing. Not to mention that my wife just never warmed up to the G35's styling or interior (I think the interior is comparable to the TL-S), although she said she wouldn't object to me getting what I *really* wanted. If I didn't have such a hellish LA freeway commute, I would definitely have gotten the 6MT G35 Sedan.

Anyway, I envy the lucky stiffs that I see driving a G35 sedan during my freeway commute (I average seeing about 2 or 3 per day on the 405 between Long Beach and LAX). I hate making compromises!

Old 04-08-2003, 06:51 PM
Re: Bought Acura TL-S, but love the G!

Hey Pauli..

Welcome to the forum Glad you had a chance to test-drive the G35... Can you compare the Acura and the G togeather since you have driven both? A friend of mine has an Acura and he swears its better than my G... I havent let him testdrive the G.. and I dont think Im going to let him.. haha

..pestilence..

Old 04-08-2003, 07:20 PM

I know exactly what you feel. I bought a G35 sedan with sport package but I was also interested in the TL-S. I'm really happy with the G but sometimes I missed a smoother ride and despite a lot of post that I read, I like better the interior of the Acura. I think It's two really good car that are fun to drive. Maybe the gas mileage is not so bad with the G but how could I know? I'm always driving like there's no tomorow. I don't recognize me anymore.

It was the dealer that make me choose the G instead of the TL-S. I bought it from Meridien Infiniti in Montreal and I was treated like a king. It was my best buying car experience. I got a good price considering the demand on the car and they gave me little extra that I didn't negociate : fill up tank, a net holder for the trunk, anti-theft lock nuts for the mag, etc. I was really happy. They show me every features of the car before I buy it and after I bought it.

But sometimes, I'm asking myself if the TL-S wasn't more suitable for my needs? I guess, when one of your biggest concern is about what brand of luxury car suits you the best, you're life is easy.

Old 04-08-2003, 07:46 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a suggestion-- but maybe you and Pauli can work out a swap. ..........J/K bros , enjoy your rides.......[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 04-08-2003, 07:50 PM

Well, pestilence, I did a little bit of comparison in the original post, but I'll comment a little bit more now. Keep in mind, I only test drove the G for about 15 minutes and what I know about it is limited to that experience. Anyway...

Performance
-------------------
The G feels faster than the TL-S in most aspects. The TL-S does seem to jump off the line pretty quickly in traffic situations but I didn't drive the G enough to compare. The big difference to me was that you could really feel the torque of the G whereas the TL-S you just don't really feel it (this results in a little smoother feel). I didn't drive the G on any winding roads, but I'm sure it is much, much better in the twisties due to the rear-wheel drive and less body roll. The TL-S feels like a big car on curves. This isn't a big deal to me, because that is not why I bought the car as I really don't do much of that kind of driving, unfortunately. I was also a little surprised at the braking feel on the TL-S, as it feels like the car is massive and the braking distance is long. Braking with the G was clearly and distinctly better -- no comparison.

Interior
--------------
I think both cars are about the same here. The G has some quirks like the climate control display being up so high on the dash and the seat controls facing upward and the chrome trim. The stereo controls are a little easier to use on the TL-S but both stereos don't sound all that great, especially considering they are upgraded packages. I like the gauges on the TL-S better because of the white/black lighting -- I don't really like that orange lighting on the G although the moveable instrument cluster is very innovative. I think the leather on the G is a little bit nicer but the TL-S has more comfortable back seats. I really liked the G driver seat and controls better because I was able to find a more comfortable position and found the upright location of the controls very convenient. The TL-S is generally a little better laid out but also has some quirks. The moonroof controls are in an idiotic position on the console to the left of the steering wheel (the VSA override and fog light switches are also here) and are not intuitive controls at all. For a company that is known for superior ergonomics, I am at a loss to explain how the designers arrived at this solution, because it is an incredibly unelegant moonroof switch layout. I also prefer the fog light control on the wheel column like the G has (also like my old Maxima).

Styling
-----------
Many people find the TL-S styling a little boring, but I really like it, but only with the standard 17" wheels, which give it just a little bit of an aggressive look. The standard TL, with it's 16" wheels does look boring to me. I love the rear Clear/Red tail like grouping and the front headlight and chin spoiler styling. It looks great without and body kit or rear spoiler.
I love the G35 styling as well, but I admit it took a little bit of getting used to. But it has really grown on me. The shape of the car is fantastic but I'm not really crazy about the headlight styling. I love the rear styling with or without the spoiler. The colors offered on the G are also very good, but I think it looks best in Desert Platinum or Black. The TL-S looks good in all the available colors except that Green color they offer.

There you go. I would love to test drive a G again, especially the 6MT. I prefer to drive manual transmissions, but not in LA traffic, where I do 90% of my driving.

One other thing. I noticed a thread that complained about the effort required to press the clutch pedal on the manual transmission. I noticed this also on my old Maxima, which was the one thing I really hated about its manual tranny. Nissan/Infiniti really needs to address this issue and put a softer spring on the clutch pedals. I am surprised this is still the case.

Old 04-08-2003, 07:58 PM

drmerck--
I had the exact opposite experience with dealers than you. The Acura dealer was willing to deal and was much more accomodating the the Cerritos Infiniti dealer was. I have since read that many people have bad experiences with Cerritos Infiniti so perhaps I should have gone to another dealer before getting the TL-S. Maybe things would have turned out differently.

Like I previously noted, I do agree with you that, overall, the TL-S interior is a little bit better than the G, but they are certainly in the same class. I would be happy with either one.

Old 04-08-2003, 08:04 PM

Did you test drive the Sport Suspension model? The first one I test drove had the Sport Package and BBS wheels ... the drive was stiffer than the non-sports package. I purchased a G without the sports package ...

Funny you purchased the TL-S over the G35 ... I actually test drove the TL-S right before going to test drive the G35. The TL-S was too much Honda for me ... My wife had an 1992 Accord for 8 years (I drove it for a year) and I owned a 2000 Accord EXV6L for a total of 9 months, I traded it in because I did not like driving it by the time I got rid of it. (I did not care for how the auto transmission hesitated while driving around town.)

I have enjoyed driving the G35 ... I cannot say that about too many autos. If it clears up I will drive the G tomorrow to the Masters ... if it keeps raining I will drive the truck.

Old 04-08-2003, 08:17 PM

2003blueG35-
The one I test drove I'm pretty sure was a non-Sport package. It was the luxury package? (leather) but no other options (no NAV, no aero).

I was a little hesitant to go away from Nissan/Infiniti because my Maxima was a real pleasure for the past 6.5 years. I had an Integra before that and that experience was very good as well, so I had no problem going back to the Honda/Acura world. It's funny, I really wanted to get a German car this time around, but I just could not justify to myself the incredible price differential for a vehicle with equivalent specs as the TL-S or G35. Plus, there are many horror stories about Audi, BMW, and Mercedes repair costs that I just wanted to avoid.

Old 04-08-2003, 10:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pauli,

The TL-s is a great car in it's own right, however, there are many of us previous TL owners who are skeptical about the tranny. There's are a couple of owners on the TL forums who have had their trannies shift from fifth to second on the highway at 80 mph; they essentially lost control and swerved all over the highway.

There has also been (quote) "a higher than normal failure rate on the transmissions of TL's, CL's, Odysseys, Preludes and Accord V6's"; admitted by Honda in August 2002, after owners have been complaining for more than a year. This occurs for model years 2000 to early 2003. The tranny warranty was extended 7yrs/100K, and the flaw was supposedly addressed.

In August 2002, Honda estimated that 1 million cars were affected, 1.6% of their sales in the US, so they didn't consider it to be such a big problem that an extended warranty couldn't cure. Even though admitting that there was a problem, all queries to Honda about specifically why it occured, have NEVER been answered.

My TL-p tranny died at 18K, warped rotors at 19K, and had a malfunctioning ignition module at 20K. My wife drove the TL right up until 20K; that's when I found the forum posts about the dangerous tranny lock up's, and took the TL from my wife (she was happy, I drove the TL and traded my 1996 Altima for a Sequoia).

The trannies also often fail several times, even today. In early January 2003, a friend of mine at work carried her TL-s in to the dealer because the tranny started jerking. They took a week and a half to replace it (Acura only installs remanufactured units), and on the way home from the dealer, the tranny failed again! So after another week and another replacement, she got her TL-s back, and what do you know, it fails AGAIN after 3 days! Remember, Honda claimed in August 2002, that the flaw was addressed. It is because of this that I mistrust Honda, and it will be a very long time before I buy their product again.

This is when I made a decision to dump my TL (30K miles) and get whatever.... I knew I would take a loss of about $4K on the TL so was looking for a car that cost under $30K, I was about to settle for an IS300 but decided to look at the G as well. As of Feb 6th 2003, I returned to the fold and will never leave Nissan again.

The tranny issue has caused a big disturbance in the Honda "force" with many TL'ers stirring up dissent, while other owners are claiming that we (the relatively small number of victims) are blowing the tranny issue out of proportion. And it doesn't help (the victims) that magazines continue to give the TL higher than average ratings in durability and reliability. The tranny could have very well been fixed in my car as Acura Customer Service tried to assure me, however, I never felt at ease with the TL during my 4-5 months of driving it, every little noise I heard, or vibration I felt caused me worry. And driving 36K/yr meant that the extended warranty was only good for 3 years of my driving; not a good position to be in during year 4 of ownership. It was all about peace of mind for me.

But the TL's headlights are fantastic, it puts the G's to shame. Gas mileage is also much better and the interior is a little nicer. But a big advantage the G has is this forum... the TL is as popular with the ricers as Honda, and the Acura forums overflow with immaturity.

If your faith in Honda/ Acura reliability remains unfazed, you have a great car. Good luck and enjoy!

03 G35
02 Sequoia

Old 04-08-2003, 10:32 PM

sorry 'bout the super-long post guys.

03 G35
02 Sequoia

Old 04-08-2003, 11:00 PM

no prob. it was quite enjoyable to read.. im going to talk $hit bout my friends CL typeS now with my new found konwlage

..pestilence..

Old 04-09-2003, 01:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a previous Accord owner, and the TL-S just didn't do it for me. Nice car, but it felt more like 260 ponies than 260 horses. Plus, and this is the part I thought ironic given all the complaints about the G35's power seat controls, I found the TL-S driver's seat to be a bit uncomfortable. The rest of the car seems to be a great value, and I have to admit I like the Anthracite gray metallic color better than any color available on the G35 sedan (because for whatever reason, you can't get a Diamond Graphite sedan). In my shopping, though, I preferred the Volvo S60 to the Acura. Something about the flip-down rear headrests was alluring in a geeky sort of way....

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 04-09-2003, 02:16 AM

Thanks for the story chinee. I did read about the tranny failures before buying the vehicle and am a little bit concerned about it. I do have faith that Acura will take care of me if there is a problem (I hope the more recent trannies really are fixed). Sounds like you and your friend had real horror stories with your Acuras and it is disconcerting that they didn't take care of you to your satisfaction. However, I made the choice and can now only cross my fingers that the tranny problem is fixed for good and that mine isn't one of the lemons. I hope Honda has learned from their mistakes although they really haven't come clean on this tranny issue. There may be some legal reason for this due to relationships with their parts vendors or maybe there is some bigwig whom the upper management doesn't want to embarrass, I don't know. I do know that Honda can't **** off too many of their customers or they will lose the profitable NA market (maybe that's already happining with the stellar Infiniti offerings). Perhaps I made a mistake not getting a G35, but I have to live with it for a while now and so far I am pleased with the TL-S.

Old 04-09-2003, 03:13 PM

Like I said...the TL-s is still a great car, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. If I was a typical driver who changed vehicles before 100K miles, I'd have kept my TL because of the extended warranty. The Bose system does suck though, the standard stereo in the G is better.

It has been speculated that the reason that Honda has played this issue a little loose, is that if a million cars are affected, and a recall is forced, at $5K per tranny replacement, that comes to $5 billion dollars! I would try to sidestep that kind of cost as well.

Also, sorry to say this, but the G will still burn your TL-S. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

03 G35
02 Sequoia

Old 04-09-2003, 05:38 PM

"Also, sorry to say this, but the G will still burn your TL-S."

Yeah, I know. But I didn't really buy the car to race anyone (I'm getting too old for that kind of stuff, plus I'm chicken to go too fast on public roads).

I wish I could do something affordable about the stereo system, but it seems Acura made it very expensive for system replacement.

I didn't listen to the G's stereo system extensively, but I was also unimpressed with it. How would you rate it? Is it easy to upgrade?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bought Acura TL-S, but love the G!