G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Noise After putting back Stock Rim/Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise After putting back Stock Rim/Tires

I've been running on aftermarket rims/tires for a few years and decided to go back to stock. But after I put the stock rim and new tires, i'm hearing a "whoomp..whoomp..whoomp" sound the gets loud at around 25mph and at higher speeds (+60mph) I can feel some vibration on the steering wheel. Also, when you turn the steering wheel like changing lanes, the sound get's more pronounced. Could this be due to mis-alignment? Anyone experienced this before? Thanks for your inputs.
I have Tein CS w/ EDFC and before was running on 245/40/19(front) & 275/35/19(rear). Now I have 235/50/17(front & back) on stock rims.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:23 PM
I would assume it's due to alignment and possibly balancing issues on the wheels. Also make sure you took off the spacers from the aftermarket wheels.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheDude
I would assume it's due to alignment and possibly balancing issues on the wheels. Also make sure you took off the spacers from the aftermarket wheels.
I couldnt have said it any better ^^ Thats what it sounds like to me.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
check your tires. If they are cupped or worn, it could be another reason...maybe? Im no expert. But I realized the difference in the tires from swapping between my oem 19s and winters 17s (oem). They 19s would make a simular sound because the insides were cupped.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by g-adabout
check your tires. If they are cupped or worn, it could be another reason...maybe? Im no expert. But I realized the difference in the tires from swapping between my oem 19s and winters 17s (oem). They 19s would make a simular sound because the insides were cupped.

I think it's cupped as well. I currently have exact same sound and according to the dealership my rear tires are worn on the inside and if I replace them the noise will be gone.. I am wondering If rotating the tires will fix this issue..

Old 07-21-2010, 05:30 PM
I actually replaced the oem tires(215/55/17) w/ a new one(235/50/17) because I thought it was the old oem tires that was causing it. But still have the same noise even w/ the brand new tires. I know they are balanced since they are newly mounted and balanced. Does misalignment cause this type of noise?

Originally Posted by toymachine2009
I think it's cupped as well. I currently have exact same sound and according to the dealership my rear tires are worn on the inside and if I replace them the noise will be gone.. I am wondering If rotating the tires will fix this issue..

Old 07-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
First things first, check to make sure the wheel lugs have been torqued properly. I had a similar situation about 5 years ago where I was getting a lot of noise from the front left wheel of my car after I had bought some new tires.

I limped into the driveway and saw that 3 of my lug nuts were only about 2 full revolutions turned in. ******** at Tire Discounters forgot to torque them.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by kegels
I actually replaced the oem tires(215/55/17) w/ a new one(235/50/17) because I thought it was the old oem tires that was causing it. But still have the same noise even w/ the brand new tires. I know they are balanced since they are newly mounted and balanced. Does misalignment cause this type of noise?
Hmmm than maybe I shouldn't go this weekend to get new rear tires? The sound even sounds like the tires because as you speed up the noise speeds up and same for slowing down.. Dealership checked everything else and couldn't find anything else to be making the sound...

Old 07-22-2010, 03:44 AM
maybe its the sound of fail?

... jk, id start with a rebalance

Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 AM
I have the identical sound too op just started randomly too and out of the blue! Same thing when you turn you can here it better I hope we figure out what this issue is!

Old 07-22-2010, 03:53 AM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
[QUOTE=itgogitrev;5241146]First things first, check to make sure the wheel lugs have been torqued properly. QUOTE]
+1

I would also check to make sure all the wheels are seated against the hub properly before torquing the lugs. I had a very simular problem when I swapped my shocks. My wheels fit the hub lip very tight and one of my wheels was misaligned oh so very slightly before I torqued my lug nuts. It sounded as you described and inceased with speed. luckly I went less than a mile before pulling my wheels off to find the problem.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 PM
I checked all my wheels to make sure they are seated on the hub properly and the lugs are torqued properly. Even cleaned the hub of any debris and crap for good measure. The noise and vibration is still present. I'm starting to suspect a warped rotor. When I spun the front(passenger side) rotor, I can feel it grabbing at the pads at one spot only - spin freely and then grab..spin freely and grab....I have new front rotors and pad on the way and will see if this problem goes away after they're installed.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:03 AM
Update : looks like my passenger front hub bearing / wheel assly is shot. I removed the the rotors and when I spin the hub it doesn't spin smoothly - it hesitates during the spin and feels gravelly...:-(...I ended up ordering a (Timken HA590027 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly) from Amazon for $120.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:27 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Are these the tires you have had on the rims since you put them in storage? Did you store them with the tread down? If your tires were sitting for several years it is possible you developed a flat spot on them.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:57 AM
No, replaced those old tires w/ brand new tires...
that's what I originally thought since they had been sitting in the garage for a few years..but stored lying down(and not tread down).
it's definitely a bad wheel hub bearing (passenger side). I even cringed when I was spinning the hub...it was that bad...

Originally Posted by 5150DS
Are these the tires you have had on the rims since you put them in storage? Did you store them with the tread down? If your tires were sitting for several years it is possible you developed a flat spot on them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Noise After putting back Stock Rim/Tires