G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Extended Warranty: Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty: Is it worth it?

Considering buying the extended warranty when I get close to 60K miles. I plan on keeping this car for 8+yrs. I am concerned with longterm issues w/ the G as it a relatively new car. (I have an 03.5 sedan)

What are you guys doing that are keeping the car?

g4ian

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by g4ian on 10/18/04 09:40 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

367821-G35 MINI.jpg

Old 10-18-2004, 01:31 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Extended Warranty: Is it worth it?

If you plan to keep the car stock for a long time, i say buy the extended warranty.

---------------------------------

Old 10-18-2004, 01:42 PM

Stock is such a relative term.....
How about Plenum, Z-tube, exhaust, and pulleys?

g4ian

367870-G35 MINI.jpg

Old 10-18-2004, 06:13 PM

An extended warranty probably will go only as far as 100K total miles and would cost anywhere from $800 to $1200. If you thnk it will cost you that much in parts and labor over the next 7 years, then purchase it. If not, then you'll be wasting money.

Since there is uncertainty as to whether you will run into repairs, extended warranty purchase decisions are usually determined by peace of mind. So how important is peace of mind to you?

My 1996 Altima required just $300 in repairs up to 100K; a $700 extended warranty would have been a waste of money. I hope the G will be as trouble-free, so I did not get an extended warranty this time around either.

<font color=red>chinee</font color=red>
03.5 G35s

Old 10-18-2004, 06:45 PM

If you plan on keeping your vehicle for any term that is longer than the factory warranty, then it would be in your best interest to buy an extended service contract (insurance). If you spent $1500.00 on a contract and have no problems with your vehicle consider yourself lucky... The reason Service departments are open for business is becuase of the simple fact that machines break. Any major componet on any vehicle is costly. Do yourself a favor and buy one. I work in a dealership service department and we usaully have about $3-5 thousand dollars in extended service contract claims daily...

Old 10-18-2004, 07:02 PM

Also keep in mind that your roadside assistance and expense coverage will also be prorated for the full duration of the term. Big consideration if you go on long trips far away from home.

If you have 100k warranty and decide to sell the car somewhere at 75k you will be able to do it much faster and definately get a better deal.

***04 G35s 5AT/Sport***
***04 Volvo XC90 T6***

Old 10-18-2004, 08:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you wait that long to buy the extended warranty? I thought you had to do it within a year or so, maybe I misunderstood.

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Premium/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

Old 10-18-2004, 09:58 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Can you wait that long to buy the extended warranty? I thought you had to do it within a year or so..

<hr></blockquote>
Infiniti offers both new car and pre-owned car extended warranties. To qualify for the new car option, you have to purchase the warranty within 6 months and 6000 miles. For pre-owned cars, there are multiple warranty options. Most people would advise not purchasing one of the latter until the factory 4/60 warranty is about to expire. In any case, the pre-owned warranty must be purchased before 5/100.

<font color=blue>'04 G35S 5AT, Black Obsidian/Willow, Prem/Nav/Sat</font color=blue>

Old 10-19-2004, 08:07 AM

There is a reason dealers sell these things - they are profitable! Basically, you're buying insurance. Think about it. The dealer would not be selling this if the odds were against them, and conversely, in your favor. On a vehicle of Asian origin, it's a waste of money. The extended warranties DO NOT cover maintenance and wear items such as brakes, but rather catastrophic failures like engines and transmissions which are not likely to fail during the warranty period.

If the car is European, then by all means, opt for the coverage because you will need it!

Old 10-19-2004, 11:00 AM

Yes, the manufacturers make money on ext warranties. So statistically, they will cost you money vs. saving you money just like insurance. But the G35 is a new car, new chassis, new electronics, and Nissan is forecasting its reliability without actual data yet. As this data comes in, they will adjust the warranty price accordingly.

The Infiniti Elite warranty covers almost everything, except maintenance and cosmetic items, glass, and leather. If you have the Nav, for example, guess how much it costs to replace! Or the head unit, or the ABS ECU, etc...

<font color=blue>'04 G35S 5AT, Black Obsidian/Willow, Prem/Nav/Sat</font color=blue>

Old 10-19-2004, 11:27 AM

The question to ask yourself is "IF" that really unimaginable thing happens (and it could, ask Sleleton_cru) can you afford it? A major breakdown it could easily cost you triple what a warranty could cost if you are not covered. Sure, only one out of 25 (numbers made up) warranties sold will probably be used, but that doesn't help if you are that lucky one.
As someone else said, peace of mind can be worth the money.

Old 10-19-2004, 03:29 PM

Not in the same situation as you but....

That's why I bought my car used. I got a cerified 6mt sedan w/ 13,XXX for well below nada value AND the extended warranty came free. In that situation I def recommend but the question posed is a tweener IMO (can't go too wrong either way depending on what the future holds)

Old 10-19-2004, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely I will buy an extended warranty for mine when the factory one runs out. On my Taurus SHO I got over $5K of work done on a warranty that cost $953 so I was a happy customer.

Jim
'03.5 Sedan
Brilliant Silver/Graphite
6MT/ Premium package
Sport tuned suspension
Nismo Body Kit
Navigation and Satellite Radio
Z-Tube/JDM battery cover

Old 10-19-2004, 06:17 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan

Considering what happened to me (engine failure), and other G35 owners, I will definitely consider the extended warranty. I am planning on keeping my car for another three years or so.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Most likely I will buy an extended warranty for mine when the factory one runs out.

<hr></blockquote>
How will you do this, did you read that earlier post? I believe that is the only way you can get te extended warranty, not when the warranty runs out.

Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Premium/Chrome Wheels '04 Sedan/5AT

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty: Is it worth it?