G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!

Here's the deal...I've got a 2003.5 Ivory Pearl G35 6Speed Sport with 68,000 miles that has been outside sitting for the past week due to snow and ice.

A couple of nights ago, I took it for a drive, everything seemed normal.

This evening, I get in the car and the VDC and Slip lights are on. After I get going, the ABS light comes on and I notice that the turn signals are "sporadic." Likewise, the Tach is basically dead...sometimes would twitch up then back to 0 quickly. On top of that the speedo is completely dead and the temperature gauge is dead as well. Other than these visual things, the car seems to drive normal.

So, while at dinner, I do a little research and find some people talking about water getting into the battery, fuse area on the passenger side after hard rains causing these symptoms and my mind immediately turned to the amount of snow and ice that sat on the car most of the week.

On the way home, I stop at Autozone to get the codes pulled, all of which indicate short circuit somewhere in the respective systems (VDC, Traction control).

When I get home, I rip apart the battery cover to discover ice up to the bottom of the battery. So, I take the battery out as well as the base and melt all of the ice out. After that, I reinstalled the battery and test the vehicle again to be dissapointed that the speedo still does not work, the VDC and Slip lights are on, and although the tac did work for a while, began to jump around soon after.

So...any suggestions?

Right now, I've disconnected the battery and plan to hook it back up tomorrow, but am not planning on success.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:52 PM
I also realize now that there could be a problem with the IPDM...what exactly do I need to look for? Obviously I'll check all the fuses, but what else? How exactly do you check a relay?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Received 300 Likes on 192 Posts
I had a problem similar to yours with a previous car. My issue was the alternator was dead. Put a volt meter to the battery while its running and see what it says.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:13 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Have you tried resetting the ecu? Disconnect the battery for eight hour is one way. Also, you can disconnect 6the battery and discharge what is left in the electrical system by pumping the brakes. I have read 7 times, but not sure why that is the magic number. I usually do both, disconnect the battery, pump the brakes and wait at least 8 hours before reconnecting.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:55 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
you should take a look under the passenger kick panel...i've heard of water getting down there from the rubber boot in the battery compartment

Old 12-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Success! Came home after work, reattached the battery and everything is back to normal! 5150DS, I did the 7 time brake pedal pump before I left for work this morning. So, the question is...what fixed it? Resetting the ECU? Allowing the car time to air out?

Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Ok. Nevermind. The slip and vdc came back on.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:26 PM
Well, the tach works, but the speedo does not nails, when coming to a stop, the car nearly dies because the idle drops too low. Just left Autozone and the battery and alternator cheek out fine. I must be onto something since the tach is working. Any other suggestions??? Thanks!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.