G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Is there a radiator fan on the 2003 g35 sedan?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NFSP G35
^Good job asking before causing yourself more work!

You absolutely need to remove the belt before the fan.
The actual pulley is "sandwiched" between the flange on the fan clutch and the flange on the bearing.

I didn't realize this when I did my radiator, and thought I'd save some time by simply unscrewing the fan and putting it back on. It wasn't obvious that the pulley was it's own piece, but when I put the fan back on and tightened all the bolts back, the pulley had made itself slightly off-center because of the belt tension. This lead to a weird vibration that very quickly destroyed the bearing.
Fortunately, the G isn't like a lot of old-school cars (I'm looking at you GM) where the fan pulley is also the water pump, even though the aluminum bracket that houses that bearing actually looks like a water pump.

Now, that being said... When I destroyed that bearing (for which you have to replace the entire bracket) it gave me enough reason to go ahead and do an electric fan mod, which allowed me to remove that bracket entirely, take 1 pulley (fan) completely out of the system, and re-route using a smaller belt, which really helped make extra room on the front of the engine for a large e-fan. So, something to think about... if you ever want to go to an electric fan, now is a really good time.
@NFSP G35, thanks for the reply and sorry for my late reply. I've been occupied with changing out the radiator so didn't get a chance to check this as I wasn't sure I'd get a reply anyway. Actually I ended up doing what you originally did by just taking out the clutch and fan thinking the pulley is still held together by the bolts since I just undid the screws. Luckily, I didn't finish my repairs yet so I don't think I broke anything yet. I'll go ahead and loosen the pulley and drive belts until I'm ready to put the fan back on. I did notice the pulley has become a little bit out of place since the nuts have been removed. Thanks for mentioning about cooling fan conversion but I've already spent quite a bit of money replacing the lower engine cover, getting a new front bumper ( current one has the holes that the engine cover fastens onto, broken off), new upper fan shroud, and thermostat. I'll hold off on replacing anything else unless it's broken. I bought a mishimoto all aluminum radiator that supposedly fit the g35, but realized there are things about it that doesn't fit right. I'm returning that radiator and bought a Spectra one that looks more like the original. hopefully it will fit better. I'm not a mechanic so it's taking me longer to do these repairs. Too bad there aren't more youtube videos for this car model.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:26 PM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
Yeah, the 03.0 models with the mechanical fan has a slightly different radiator fitment.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:02 AM
Thanks. Guess it's a good learning experience. If the bolts on the pullies are kind of tight, can I spray some WD 40 to loosen it?

Old 01-05-2015, 05:38 AM
smaller belt

Originally Posted by NFSP G35
^Good job asking before causing yourself more work!

You absolutely need to remove the belt before the fan.
The actual pulley is "sandwiched" between the flange on the fan clutch and the flange on the bearing.

I didn't realize this when I did my radiator, and thought I'd save some time by simply unscrewing the fan and putting it back on. It wasn't obvious that the pulley was it's own piece, but when I put the fan back on and tightened all the bolts back, the pulley had made itself slightly off-center because of the belt tension. This lead to a weird vibration that very quickly destroyed the bearing.
Fortunately, the G isn't like a lot of old-school cars (I'm looking at you GM) where the fan pulley is also the water pump, even though the aluminum bracket that houses that bearing actually looks like a water pump.

Now, that being said... When I destroyed that bearing (for which you have to replace the entire bracket) it gave me enough reason to go ahead and do an electric fan mod, which allowed me to remove that bracket entirely, take 1 pulley (fan) completely out of the system, and re-route using a smaller belt, which really helped make extra room on the front of the engine for a large e-fan. So, something to think about... if you ever want to go to an electric fan, now is a really good time.
Tof remove the fan pulley assy altogether,
How much smaller a belt did you use? Do you happen to have the part number.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:47 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
I don't know if I can still read the belt number LOL, should have written it down somewhere.

One thing I forgot to mention, when you remove that pulley assembly, you'll need to washer out the alternator where the pulley mount used to be. And make sure you get it right, or else you could wear out your alternator and/or eat belts if it's crooked.

Old 08-02-2019, 05:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
infiniti, awd
Originally Posted by TOYSTA
I have an 03, it has a mechanical fan and a smaller fan as well. While sitting idle mine heats up after a few min's as well, seems to do it only in 90+ weather. I usually pick up my little cousin from school and I typically cannot wait long with the a/c running because the needle starts to rise. I'm thinking of changing the water pump and thermostat.
How did you fix it? I have the same problem with a 2004

Old 08-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
infiniti, awd
Originally Posted by MarcinRKL
So it seems like my engine overheats where sitting idol with the AC blasting. If there is some air blowing the the engine temps are fine, but sitting in traffic with the AC on is stressing the car out.

This car was apparently "Clean" according to carfax (yea, thanks car fax. good job), but my mechanic and few other people agree that it was hit form in the front. I told him about the overheating problem and we both concluded that maybe the radiator fan motor might need to be replaced only to realize that there was not radiator fan (hope I'm saying this correctly, I'm not car savvy)

Is there fans on to of the radiator or would it be a different problem? If someone has pics of their front without a bumper that would really help. The cable for the radiator fan seem to be there but no fans.

I think this is how the fans look: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Infin...item19c5d84700

Thanks
How did you fix the problem? My 2004 has the same problem.

Old 12-25-2019, 07:41 PM
Idk
Originally Posted by vijayrishi
How did you fix the problem? My 2004 has the same problem.
have you found a way to fix it yet I have the same problem and I’ve done both the electric fan motor and the clutch and it’s still happening