G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 vs. Forester XT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 vs. Forester XT

Here's the deal:

I have a friend that recently bought a Forester with turbocharged engine (XT trim, I believe). He claims that his car is faster than mine. He thinks so because he saw 0-60 numbers published on the internet around 5.3 seconds. 0-60 times for a G are 6+. Now, I don't want to race him to prove my point, but I really think that those numbers (5.3 second for a Forester) is a complete BS. Does anyone now any reliable source I can read regarding 0 to 60 times for turbocharged Forester?

Old 12-02-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by kosmo
Here's the deal:

I have a friend that recently bought a Forester with turbocharged engine (XT trim, I believe). He claims that his car is faster than mine. He thinks so because he saw 0-60 numbers published on the internet around 5.3 seconds. 0-60 times for a G are 6+. Now, I don't want to race him to prove my point, but I really think that those numbers (5.3 second for a Forester) is a complete BS. Does anyone now any reliable source I can read regarding 0 to 60 times for turbocharged Forester?
Who care's...that Forester thing is one ugly-a_s tall, Subaru stationwagon, I mean 'small SUV' or something (although I've never actually seen one on the road...just in the car mags)!

Back to your question...I believe it does have the option for the same 250 HP engine as the Subaru Legacy GT and Outback which may or may not be that quick (as advertised); it's difficult to determine b/c many Subie owners have experienced very different 0-60 times...from what I've heard, some have experienced below 6 sec. and some well above, and I believe the Subaru MT is much faster than the 5AT, seeing sub 6-sec. times (with turbo lag of course). Bottom line is that it's possible, but you can always find out for yourself if you know what I mean, he he.

Last edited by bsgoren; 12-02-2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:42 PM
Premier Member

I actually like the Forester styling ( especially in black). It's the kid of vehicle that's so understated & simple..minimalistic really, and that's why I like it.
As for the numbers, it doesn't really matter to me, we're only talking a few tenths of a second at best & unless something is substantially more powerful it's irrelevant.

Old 12-02-2004, 11:07 PM
Here's the deal:

I only know that the Legacy B4 GT, and the Outback, not forester, can go faster than a G35 in a 0~60 race. The new JDM Forester on subaru.co.jp looks pretty cool tho, not the USDM one.

btw, what's the point of compairing SUV and a Sedan?

Old 12-03-2004, 03:06 AM
I have a friend who has a 2.5L turbocharged Forester and it is quite fast when I took a ride in it. Stock for stock it can easily match G35. The 5.3s 0-60mph numbers are correct but that is for a 5spd with a decent launch. He had also bragged about the 5.3s number a few times and that the car is gossly underated for the published 210hp and 235lb-ft numbers. He also binsisted that it is almost the same engine is as the wrx sti (that is rated to be 300hp).

I will give for the styling though

Last edited by iafzal; 12-03-2004 at 03:38 AM.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:04 AM
I have a coworker that has one as well, black in fact.

It is quite fast but it isn't as quick on the highway. I do think it's capable of a 0-60 of 5.3 but you have to dump the clutch from a real high RPM. If your friend isn't willing to do that I bet you could beat him. Also, in the quarter mile the G35 should pull. They're great cars, useful, practical, and fast, but they were really designed for 0-60.

Old 12-03-2004, 11:09 AM
My father owns a Mustang Cobra that I know would blow my G away in 0-60, 1/4 mile or any race for that matter. A week ago he asked if we could "swap" for a week as he has a long trip to the Eastern part of Colorado and as he puts it, "it would be easier and more comfortable in your car". If a fast 0-60 is what you are after there are definitely better options for you than the G.

I drove the Subaru GT, and yes it is fast. IMHO, Comparing the 0-60 Subaru GT (or Forrster if it is that fast) to the G35, the Subaru would probably win out. Compare the Subaru to the G35 as a total package.....no comparison.

Old 12-03-2004, 01:04 PM
my friend has a forester and they are built off of the wrx chassis... he has actually put on stock wrx suspension and it dropped it 2.25 inches all around. along with wrx brakes and steering rack.. pretty sick car. they come with a 100k clutch warrenty and if you ride the clutch from about 5500 out of the hole it will brake all four wheels loose. and it will smoke most cars to 60 no doubt. don't underestimate a subbie... they just lack the lux...

Old 12-03-2004, 03:45 PM
Due to the chassis compatibility to the WRX, not only is the Forester XT fast to begin with, with some inexpensive tweaks it can be a screamer. Unlike a G which is hard and expensive to squeeze big power out of, the Subie is easy. Add a steering box from a WRX, a bigger master cylinder, suspension designed for WRX, some decent tires and you have a great little runabout. If you want 350hp, add about another $1500 for FMIC, downpipe, and boost controller. Better plan on a better clutch too. Only problem? (Putting on my flamesuit!): Foresters are know as lesbian rides.

Old 12-03-2004, 06:45 PM
Premier Member

I like lesbians, especially when there's two of them, they're cute & have a video camera & an open mind.

Old 12-03-2004, 07:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RacerX
Only problem? (Putting on my flamesuit!): Foresters are know as lesbian rides.
I think the Legacy Outback is a more stereotypical lesbian ride. funny thing was my wife and I were watching TV a comercial came on for the the legacy out back. I my wife said, "check those out honey, they look cool." i was like Naw. She asked why and I said, "well because Melanie has one." She gave me that knowing nod. Now when we are out on the road we always look to see who is driving them.

Old 12-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Yes a stock Forester XT with a 5 speed is very quick. It has a lot of low end torque (underrated from the factory) and very short gears! But it is still a tall wagon.

Though this one has a few mods and placed 14 overall in the One Lap of America this year! Beat out a ton of really fast cars... Very well driven.

http://www.cobbtuning.com/oloa-fxt.html

Old 12-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by bsgoren
I believe it does have the option for the same 250 HP engine as the Subaru Legacy GT and Outback which may or may not be that quick
If my friend's Forester had 250 HP engine I would totally believe that it can outrun my G. However, his manual says the engine is rated 210 HP, 235 torque. I see no way how it could beat a 260 HP car that is just a little heavier. 210 HP is just a little more than a Camry.

Old 12-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Talking

I see no way how it could beat a 260 HP car that is just a little heavier. 210 HP is just a little more than a Camry.
Subaru under-rates the Forester (most est hp to be 230-240), plus short gears, plus awd and there you go.
Car and Driver got the Forester to run a 0-60 in 5.3 and a 1/4 mile in 13.8

The Forester dynoed on a Mustang Dyno at 192 awhp and 219 awtq

Still just a Forester though

Old 12-05-2004, 12:13 AM
I agree with WWW, Forester is much higher HP but for marketing purposes they just under rate it, plus just with a few changes u can have close to the sti hp. if not the 250hp.

If u drop it from 4-5k rpm u can get the stated 5.3s but I think without the launch like that u will probably get in high 5's still better then most G35s.

All that said for a a quarter of secs difference there is no reason to even thinkg about such an ugly car when you compare it to a G35

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 vs. Forester XT