G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Brake Pads

Hey guys. 2006 G35X here. So I think I'm in the market for new brake pads. There is a crunching noise everytime I brake. That's understandable but I also have a squealing noise that comes from the passenger side while I drive at slow to moderate speeds. My buddy says this is my wear sensor that tells me my brakes are worn. Does that sound right?

If so, what is my best bet in terms of getting new ones? From searching on here it seems like some kind of hawk brand is good. I just need something good I can get online and put in myself to try and avoid getting screwed by dealer/mechanic prices. Any links would be helpful!

If I forgot any important info please let me know.

Thanks!!!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
OEM , Wagner Thermoquiets or project mu (cant remember which one)

Hawks:Well some ppl love them others hate them over here.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:47 PM
^+1 for the wagner thermoquiets, great pads, you want hear anything from them.....just replaced my front pads with them a couple weeks ago.....

Old 09-25-2011, 07:43 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
What up man, got your PM but have been incredible busy at the GTG meet this weekend. I would agree with the recommendations above. The 05-06 stock brakes are amazing so OEM are a good choice for daily driving. I believe Road and Track mentioned that the 05 G had one of the shortest 60-0 stopping times they had ever tested on a mass produced car 110 feet, that's impressive. I have run the Hawk HPS and unless you are going to track your car I wouldn't recommend them. Crappy cold bite and they are prone to make some noise. The Wagner's are a good choice as well as the Akebono Pro-Act Ceramics for quality low-priced pads. The Projust MUs mentioned are good as well, but a little more pricey.

If I were in your shoes I would probably just stick with OEM, they're proven to be a bad azz pad.

The following users liked this post:
Simm0nS777 (09-25-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 12:45 PM
I agree with Blue Dream.... The hawk hps make noise and are'nt great on cold bite soo they would be a better choice for some one tracking their car. I had oem pads and rotors for 75000km lol so their pretty good.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Polar_G35x
I agree with Blue Dream.... The hawk hps make noise and are'nt great on cold bite soo they would be a better choice for some one tracking their car. I had oem pads and rotors for 75000km lol so their pretty good.
OEM pads have some good stopping power cold, but after some repetitive braking they will lose that whereas hawks will really start to dig in (Hawk street pads - I think mine were called street plus? Cant remember).

I am using akebono pads (ceramic) at all four corners now. More linear braking but haven't pushed them too far yet as I'm still bedding them in (Instruction said 500 miles moderate braking).

You can't really go wrong if you get a big brand pad unless you are tracking or something.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Polar_G35x
Different strokes for different folks. I swapped my OEM pads for Hawk because the OEM had so much initial bite that it was hard to stop smoothly. The Hawks are progressive -- the stopping power is proportional to how hard you push the pedal.

And I have never heard a squeak from them.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. So where is my best bet of getting these online? Is there specific type I need? I tried searching Wagner Thermoquiets on Amazon and every one I looked at said it would not fit my car.

If I go with OEMs whats the best place to get them and whats the price difference between those and the Wagner Thermoquiets?

Old 09-27-2011, 08:33 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Never used the Thermoquiets, but I swear by Akebono's. I have Akebono Street Performance on my car and Akebono Pro-ACT's on my girlfriend's 350z. Both are great, with the Street Performance being better. The Street Performance are better than OEM in stopping power with almost no dust, but I've only seen them for the 03-04 calipers unfortunately.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for all the help so far everyone! I've come across some Wagner Thermoquiets:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0VNHY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0VNHY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0TZE2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0TZE2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Those are the Thermoquiets I found. Is one of them for the fronts and one of them for the rears or it doesn't matter? Does the price include a pair or just one? So would I need to get 2 or 4 boxes?

Obviously I am just learning about cars haha

Old 09-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
order from advanced auto parts and use most of their coupons like 3 or 4 of them.

A.A.Parts

Coupons

You're welcome

and yeah fronts are different from the rears.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:43 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Replied to your PM, what did you decide to do??

Old 09-29-2011, 01:29 AM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by AuAltima3.5
OEM pads have some good stopping power cold, but after some repetitive braking they will lose that whereas hawks will really start to dig in (Hawk street pads
Which pretty much never happens unless you're tracking. Regular braking is always done with cold brakes, so the Hawk benefit never comes into play. You simply don't slam on your brakes multiple times in succession while driving on the streets.

Get OEM, period. As Blue Dream said, the G has outstanding brakes, bordering on super car performance. And he's understating it when he says "impressive". The adjective should be "spectacular". The newest M3 is the reigning Edmunds champ at 105 ft, the G is about 110 ft, and most other cars are 125+. 15 feet is 1 car length. No manufacturer and no driver here has yet shown that any non-OEM pad will stop as well. If they had, you'd be able to find threads about them. Non-OEM may make less noise, but is less noise worth losing 15-20+ feet on your stopping distance?

Old 09-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Go with Project Mu.

I went with the B-force, but ppl have had good experiences with the Type-Ns (street pad).

Old 09-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine is an '05 so it has the smaller brakes, but I went with Wagner Thermoquiets just to see how they did. I have to say that there is a noticeable loss in 'bite' with these pads. I also get a very faint squeal when coming to a stop which I haven't had previously using the Wagners. They are cheap though and dust much, much less than the OEM's (this was really only a problem prior to '05-'06 RWD and '06 AWD).

If I had the bigger '06 brakes I would definitely go OEM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Brake Pads