2004 Headlight Questions??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 Headlight Questions??

Guys,

Im a noob to the G35 and had some questions on my headlights:

Can I fit the ebay lights to my HID system without major mods?
Is there a way to re-cover my headlight? (the flim has peeled off)
Where can I find the cheapest HID replacement lights?

Can I use the ebay lights and ignore the HID?
or should I just buy a new set...

Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I would suggest a set of 06 projector headlights. You can buy bulbs off vendors on this site just check in the marketplace

Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Can you explain a little more about buying 06 projectors??

Would I buy the whole headlamp assembly and the lights would just plug in?

What all would it take to add the 06 lights?

Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Dont listen to him. This is a sedan section and he has a coupe. Dont go with the ebay ones. They are not hid and take work to make them into one. If you are looking at stock hid light then look in the market place. I actually a set sitting in my closet doing nothing.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
illumanti is speaking out of his a.s.s anyhow.. do what lumpia says. and remember only 03-04 will fit your sedan, the 05-06 will fit.. but not well.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:07 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Illuminati
I would suggest a set of 06 projector headlights. You can buy bulbs off vendors on this site just check in the marketplace
C'mon man if you don't know what you're talking about, better to just not post. Thanks from your 4 door bretheren.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:00 AM
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm an '04 sedan owner and I recently had to install my 2nd replacement set of HID's (OEM -> 1st set -> 2nd set).

with my OEM's, the left bulbs started flickering after a while, they were probably 4300K... I replaced them with 6000K diamond whites. They lasted about 2 years and then the left one started flickering again (they were cheap ~ $80 each, $160 for the set, bought from a local shop in Phoenix, AZ). I decided that since all local shops in the town I'm in now wanted over $100 per bulb, I'd try my hand online. I got the bulbs in 2 days ago (Monday, 2011 November 07) and I wrote a very extensive review for the site I bought them from (metrorestyling.com) but it was so long it couldn't fit. Here's the uneditted long review:

================
I usually prefer to write product reviews after I've had time to put them through durability tests through average consumer use and wear & tear, but since I rarely drive at night, I thought I'd go ahead and do this now.

First off, I thought I was ordering one bulb (I was short on cash and was going to order the second one later, since I only needed one replacement). The package arrived a day later than the USPS tracking said it would (Monday instead of Saturday), however it shipped the same day I ordered it, so I blame USPS (they're ALWAYS late anyway!), so for +1 for shipping.

Second, I opened the package and found not one but TWO DR2 bulbs enclosed. I was ecstatic! TWO bulbs for under $40 shipped WITH lifetime warranty (I found a promo code tucked away on the internet, thanks Google). Last time I had to replace these bulbs was about 3 years ago and they cost me $80 EACH and I thought that was a STEAL because the Infinity dealership wanted $250 EACH!!! So for Price, +1!!!

Third, the bulbs were well packaged, they came in little plastic containers that kept the bulb suspended in a plastic cylinder without the bulb touching any part of it. It's hard to explain, but you twist the container open and extract the bulb.. The cases are very well manufactured - I say that because I accidentally dropped one while I was inspecting it. It fell from about 4 feet up and fell onto a wooden floor. The bulb inside was undamaged, and later testing / installation showed that the bulb had suffered no damage from the shock of being dropped, either. So for packaging + 1

Next came a brightness comparison. Now, this is the 3rd set of bulbs I've had in my 2004 Infinity G35 Sedan. The first set (OEM bulbs) were between 3000K and 4300K (I'm guessing 4300K). They were pretty bright by comparison to your older halogen style bulbs (even Sylvania Silverstars, which I still consider pretty bright). Now, the 2nd set of HID bulbs I got were an unknown brand that I purchased from a local car audio dealer in Phoenix, AZ. I replaced the OEM light that was flickering and did a comparison, and using OEM's as a 7 for brightness, I'd give the second set a 7.5 (the 2nd set was 6000k called "Diamond white", and they were pretty clear looking). Now these bulbs by comparison to the OEM's are probably an 8 to an 8.5. I'm sorry I can't really give a lumen description, I don't have utilities to do so, but their pretty bright. I had a few non-car savvy people tell me that they were brighter than most lights they see on the road. Also, I noticed after installation and road-testing that the roadsigns were REALLY visible. In fact, it seemed as though my horizontal field of view AND my VERTICAL field of view was saturated with more light. This was definitely a plus, and although I was concerned that I'd be blinding oncoming traffic, this did not appear to be the case. On the brightness scale, definitely +1

In terms of color, this is the only place where I feel the bulbs were slightly off from expectation. With my monitor colors set the way they are, 6000K bulbs look like my old "Diamond White" bulbs in the picture. However, the 6000K bulbs I got from Metro Restyling appear to have a very faint hint of sea-green in them, not quite as heavy as the 8000K, but more than the 6000K's depicted. This isn't really a drawback, just an observation. Still, I'm satisfied with the overall color and brightness of the bulbs, and don't find the color I have to be "ricey" in any way, in fact when looking at the headlamps when they're on, the bulbs do appear to be more of a "pure white" than the old ones (which appeared slightly pink in the headlamp). Still, color gets a +1 because I can't fault my monitor color for not showing PRECISELY what i needed (your color may vary slightly as well, so be advised!)

Last is the overall satisfaction of the bulb and purchasing experience. I was skeptical at first of the bulbs durability, so I purchased the Lifetime warranty for $7 (not even realizing I'd receive 2 bulbs) My total cost was $37.94 shipped, which makes each bulb $18.97 for everything, including lifetime warranty. I must say, the deal can't be beat. The bulbs were shipped immediately, they arrived in proper packaging, the bulbs were immaculately protected and they were even brighter than my old ones. I've never heard of Metro Restyling until I needed these bulbs, but they have definitely earned themselves a repeat customer, and hopefully some referrals. = 5

Thanks for the bulbs and the overall 5 out of 5 experience!
================

I can take pics and upload them if you'd like. If you want pure white, I'd probably recommend the 4300k as the ones I have I can see a tiny hint of sea-green color. Perhaps it will fade with time (it seems to lessen as the bulbs are on longer than 3 minutes),

Anyway, in summary:
I bought D2R Bulb / D2R Bulbs

From: http://www.metrorestyling.com/Produc...&ID=10&yes=yes

I Paid $37.94 Shipped w/ Lifetime warranty (using a code I found on google for 10% off i think...)

I received: TWO for $37.94 (that's average $18.97 per bulb, with lifetime warranty).

I gave them 5/5 after installation and testing. as I said before, I usually like to review products a few months after I've used them, for durability testing, but obviously I'm not going to drive around at night just to put wear and tear on the bulbs to see how they hold up... lifetime warranty... who gives a damn.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Meh, same as any AM bulb, quality and color will vary greatly....beware! Just sayin........

Old 11-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ArkansasG35x
Guys,

Im a noob to the G35 and had some questions on my headlights:

Can I fit the ebay lights to my HID system without major mods?
Is there a way to re-cover my headlight? (the flim has peeled off)
Where can I find the cheapest HID replacement lights?

Can I use the ebay lights and ignore the HID?
or should I just buy a new set...
what is wrong with your headlights now ? you have OEM HID's right ? I converted a non HID housing to HID using parts of my OEM HID's becasue my wife bumped someone and broke the HID housing mounting tabs off so the headlight wasn't aimed right and bounced some going down the road. I didn't want to get a whole new HID headlight and I already had some non HID housings in storage. The housings are the same but you have to use the HID bulb silver reflective part inside to accept the HID bulbs there's no way around that part.So basically I put the silver reflective HID part into non HID housings and it's close to perfect. Only problem is removing the silver part from the HID housing. There is a ball and socket type mount that snaps into the houssing and can't be seperated intact unless you were to cut the housing apart around that with maybe a dremal and carefully removed the ball from the socket but it can't be simply pulled apart in one piece. The other mounts for that silver part are headlight adjusters (up/ down & left / right) so it pivits on that third ball and socket mount. It can be done that way I've considerd getting some ebay non HID housings and converting them to my HIDs but I don't see why to do it. If there were some cool lights with LEDs I might consider it but really they are all just new lenses and black on the inside from what I can tell. I can paint my own for a few bucks and some time if I really wanted to and I can polish my lenses back to new with some 1,000 - 1,500 - 2,000 and then 2,500 grit sandpaper and some 3M plastic polish. That's for when they were real bad. Oh the non HID housings even have the proper ballast mounting holes on the bottom too because they're exactly the same only the silver part is different where the OEM HID type bulbs go in.

All of this assumes you already know how to split the lenses from the housing in the oven and put them back on which is easy.
let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:37 PM
Sorry for the delay, I am still converting from motorcycles to cars...

To sum up my issue:

My lights look great, no issues with them working. After a car wash I noticed the film began to peel off the light, after two weeks it is much worse. My drivers light is now completely dull and the passenger looks shiny new. I want to replace the light, but do not want them looking different, hence the new set. Seems like I just need the lens off some other lights and will do the oven method to swap them out. Just thought I might be able to find a cheaper set or method to do this.. Anyone willing to swap some HID's for regular halogens? Can I do this on my car or will it take a serious mod?

Old 11-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
just polish the plastic lenses as I stated above and call it a day. there is no film on them. unless the previus owner put tint or some spray on them or something unecessary.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have noticed the same thing on my driver side light, it seems as if it is some type of film on the inside or the plastic from the cover is starting to melt

Old 11-12-2011, 09:29 AM
Looks like I am going to have to post a couple of pictures to describe what I am seeing. There was a film on the outside lens that peeled away, there is still some left over on the corners. After I peeled it all off, the light itself looks blurry and hazed. Im am afraid that if I polish it, I would have to peel the film off the other light. I got my clear corners in today and will try to post some pics.. In the mean time, can I order OEM halogen lights and plug them in, or do I have to mod the wiring...? I just want clear headlights and would gladly trade the HID's for some replacements without HID.