G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Got my tail lights tinted......too dark?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got my tail lights tinted......too dark?

Im mad as hell. Went to a shop where I went to get my window tint and talked to the guy about smoking out my tail lights. He told me that they take the lights off and spray them to a certain shade. We looked at samples and I told him I wanted the lightest shade. He charged me 250 and said it would be 4 hours. I wasnt able to do it that day since it was late so I had to come back. When I dropped it off, the guy asked me again, "how dark do you want it"?. I again told him the lightest shade.

This is what I got. I think they over did it by far. He kept saying its going to dry and fade out after 5 days. He told me I could come back if it doesnt.

(please excuse my bumper, you dont wanna see it)

Old 01-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Received 358 Likes on 258 Posts
Way too dark IMO. That stuff is garbage too, you should have used vinyl. And $250 is a rip off. I would give it a day or two and re-evaluate, but I'd be going back.

Sorry it didn't turn out well, at least you didnt do it to 05/06 tails!! Worst case you can pick those up used for fairly cheap.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:29 PM
I guess it depends on the look you're going for. Too dark for my liking, but since it's 03-04 with the black side skirts, etc.. and you blacked out the Mt. Fuji on the trunk.. it doesn't look too bad.

Why didn't you just go with the Blue Batmobile wraps? I've been thinking of buying some for my '05 BS G Sedan. Not sure how easy they are to apply, or how durable they are...

EDIT: Just noticed you're in Houston. Where did you go for this? Paladin tint in Humble did my windows, seemed like good people.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 PM
I went to Executive Tint on Hillcroft. That place did an excellent job on my tint but im not feelin these tail lights. I hope they can fix the problem. I do not want to have to buy another tail light set.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Surprised that a tint place wouldn't put tinted vinyl on it similar to the Bluebat vinyl, just custom cut (cheaper)

Bluebat vinyl is high quality UV resistant vinyl and will outlast that cheap spray on junk. It can also be removed if you choose to change things up by just peeling it off. For the sake of fairness, you can purchase similar quality vinyl in bulk from METRODEPOT.com (IIRC that's the name of it, a google search will provide answers). If you're doing the whole light it's very easy to do yourself IMO.

If you're really unhappy with it, he can't really reverse it so he'd have to buy a set of tailights. I'm very surprised he didn't do it lightly then check with you, you can always go darker after, but can't go backwards. He probably screwed up and was forced to go that dark.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
that **** is easy to wipe off, sucks you paid that much tho...here's a guide if needed

http://g35mods.com/?p=441

The following users liked this post:
Dirty35x (01-03-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Damn I wonder if I can do something similar to that and just take off a layer?

Thanks for that guide. And yea im bummed now about paying that

Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
he ripped you off big time. tail light tinting shouldnt be more than 100-150. sell em and buy a set of 05-06 tails

Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 AM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the vinyl overlays. I had it before, and would not consider it again unless you have it done professionally by someone who really knows what they're doing. It's very hard to get them on without bubbles/lines because of the curvature of the lights. Paint won't fade if you use high quality stuff and clear coat it after. And there are various methods you can use to take the paint off if you decide to go that route down the road.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirty35x
He kept saying its going to dry and fade out after 5 days. He told me I could come back if it doesnt.
So take them back?

Old 01-04-2012, 10:47 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TunerMax
Way too dark IMO. That stuff is garbage too, you should have used vinyl. And $250 is a rip off. I would give it a day or two and re-evaluate, but I'd be going back.

Sorry it didn't turn out well, at least you didnt do it to 05/06 tails!! Worst case you can pick those up used for fairly cheap.
OUCH!...looks like I'll be the victim of some bashing once mine are smoked...oh well, I'll drink to that!

Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by ryanm8
I'm not a big fan of the vinyl overlays. I had it before, and would not consider it again unless you have it done professionally by someone who really knows what they're doing. It's very hard to get them on without bubbles/lines because of the curvature of the lights. Paint won't fade if you use high quality stuff and clear coat it after. And there are various methods you can use to take the paint off if you decide to go that route down the road.
Heat gun, and soapy water. Not too hard on his lights, a little tougher on the 05/06 due to the circles being pronounced/popped out. But on the 03/04, it's simple. Any youtube how to can show you how. Just takes a little patience and remember to keep it wet with soapy water between the tailight and vinyl, as well as on top of the vinyl while applying.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by cameronb
So take them back?
Yea thats what I will end up doing but Im not sure what can be done at this point besides replacing the lights. I highly doubt they would do that.

What im thinking, I will use something to get the paint off, then get some overlays and go that route. I think im SOL as far as getting any type of retribution from this tint place. I will try my hardest though. Im going to raise hell if they tell me they cant do anything for me.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
gasoline will remove all that paint clean off.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
rice

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got my tail lights tinted......too dark?