DIY: Reprogram Used TPMS For Your Sedan - Page 2 - G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion
Show Your Support Become A Premier Member

DIY: Reprogram Used TPMS For Your Sedan

Old 03-02-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 LSC View Post
STICKY, STICKY, STICKY!

GREAT info. Thanks.

Related question:

When I bought my car the tire pressure warning light on the dash was lit. I assumed that I probably had a sensor with a dead battery and never messed with it. Would I have a hard fault with just a dead sensor? The light is always on. I'm wondering what would happen if I tried to reset the system.
Thanks!! Assuming all your tire pressures are over 30psi and the light still has not gone out, it's possible you have a dead sensor. But, if you don't know the history of the car, don't assume any one of them are dead. The previous owner might have swapped the spare tire on for some reason, and that would also need to be reprogrammed since the system only monitors the wheels on the ground. If the 5th tire is put into rotation for some reason it needs to be programmed. You could always try the reset procedure and see what happens.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:50 PM

TPI Monte SS - good job but I have a few questions, how much time did any one of you spend and how much gas was used. Taking all this into account - how much would you say it cost to do it your way... just curious. a ball park number $$?
How much does tire shop charge to reset/reprogram TPMS sensors?
How much does Trigger and Scan Tool programmable tool cost? apprx ?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:08 AM

cvipgo are you serious? Just take your car to the dealer and pay them $120 to do it. The wire is free, the time to reset the sensors is time well spent getting to know your car, and the gas? How much time and gas to take the car to the dealer?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 LSC View Post
cvipgo are you serious? Just take your car to the dealer and pay them $120 to do it. The wire is free, the time to reset the sensors is time well spent getting to know your car, and the gas? How much time and gas to take the car to the dealer?
No, I am not serious just inquisitive and weighing options. Thanks for your +be comment.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:07 PM

Well this is rather embarrasing.

Turns out I connected to the wrong harness and I must've shorted something.
The shift lock will not disengage from park unless I do it manually and the a/c will not turn on at all.
No lights, no outside temp display, nothing.
Also the cruise control light comes on but I cannot set it to a certain speed, and the radio works just fine.

Anybody know what fuses or relays I should be looking to replace??

Thanks

Last edited by WhipWhitaker; 03-08-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubus3612 View Post
Well this is rather embarrasing.

Turns out I connected to the wrong harness and I must've shorted something.
The shift lock will not disengage from park unless I do it manually and the a/c will not turn on at all.
No lights, no outside temp display, nothing.
Also the cruise control light comes on but I cannot set it to a certain speed, and the radio works just fine.

Anybody know what fuses or relays I should be looking to replace??

Thanks
Sorry to hear your trouble- I think the best would be to disconnect battery and reset every thing and check all the fuses Inside (driver side)and in engine compartment- near the battery.
good luck
Old 03-08-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvipgo View Post
TPI Monte SS - good job but I have a few questions, how much time did any one of you spend and how much gas was used. Taking all this into account - how much would you say it cost to do it your way... just curious. a ball park number $$?
How much does tire shop charge to reset/reprogram TPMS sensors?
How much does Trigger and Scan Tool programmable tool cost? apprx ?
Well, I had the wire laying in my toolbox, so that was free. The gas I used was on my way to work, so I would have used it anyway (so no cost). I only had to drive over 40mph for a few minutes for the system to learn. I already had the air pump, so that was technically free as well. So basically this job cost me nothing except a few extra minutes of sleep, because I had to leave earlier for my morning commute so I could adjust the air pressures in the tires.

Now, if you wanted to buy a Craftsman air pump (it's a good investment anyway) it's about $60. Of course, if you passed gas stations on your trip, you could adjust the pressures before and after for $.25 at each air pump. According to Amazon, that trigger tool is about $24, vs. my free strand of wire.

The dealership will likely charge an hour labor to program the TPMS, so depending on their rate it could be quite spendy. Plus, you have to drive there (waste of gas) and wait around for them to do it (waste of time), unless you're already in for an oil change or some other job.

IMO, you can't beat doing it this way.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 PM

I did disconnect the battery overnight but that made no difference.
I tried pulling some of the fuses but they're not see-thru so I can't see if they're bad.

Just seeing if anybody knows which fuse or fuses specifically need to be replaced because I have no tool to check them myself
Old 04-18-2012, 11:20 PM

Thank you OP!

I did the exact procedure listed in the OP but it was a pain to find the TPMS reset plug.

It was nested in the wires all the way in the back and I had to use my iPhones LED (didn't have a flash light on hand) to spot it after looking for it for about 40 minutes.

Just to let everyone know my TPMS reset plug had a yellow dot on it so as to prevent people from grounding the wrong connection.

Here are some pics of the connector and exactly where to insert the grounding wire.

Forgive the ugly hands.

Thanks for saving me 100-150 bucks as thats what it would have cost me to reset the TPMS.

What made it extra special was that this was the first time I actually had the ***** to fiddle with my car.

Also the ( ! ) hasnt come back on eventhough the pressures are set at 34, 31 , 29 and 26 psi.

I guess I'll just refill the tires to 33 psi.
Super happy. Thanks again.

Last edited by bigjee; 04-18-2012 at 11:24 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigjee For This Useful Post:
The Fixer (11-01-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 05:15 PM

anyone tried this to program new tpms?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:42 PM

What years have this anyways? My 03.5 doesn't seem to.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Any discount tire or America's tire can do this for you for free... And they'll do it the right way.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexthurr21 View Post
They were added on 2004.
Thanks dude. I'm glad I don't have to bother with them, just a PITA as far as I'm concerned.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunerMax View Post
Thanks dude. I'm glad I don't have to bother with them, just a PITA as far as I'm concerned.
no problem. it doesn't hurt that much but i just want my G's electronics to be working 100%!!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:16 PM

And just to update, once the weather got cold, sure enough the ( ! ) came on in the dash. I checked the tires, and two had gone below 30 psi. I aired them up and the light went out within a few minutes of driving. All is well several months and several thousand miles later!