G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Sounds Clips and Info on my Custom Stillen Cat-Back - It's for sale too

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds Clips and Info on my Custom Stillen Cat-Back - It's for sale too

First, here's the video: http://www.brianv.net/g35_stillen.wmv *you need Windows Media Player to play it. The car is stock except for the exhaust and z-tube.

I've decided to sell my Stillen Catback exhaust for a couple of reasons.
1) I may be getting an 05 G35 soon because I love mine so much
2) My parents are anti-exhaust and when they visit me they complain
3) The girlfriend isn't too fond of exhausts of any kind.

Here's more of the story:

In November I bought a Stillen Catback exhaust. I installed it and immediately was impressed by the tone of the car and the performance gains. Unfortunately, even for myself after 45 minutes the 'cool' factor wore off; it was just WAY TOO LOUD for day to day driving. Additionally, the girlfriend was seriously nagging about it. Thus, I took it to my local muffler guy and begged for help. He was able to significantly quiet it by plugging up one of the exhaust ports on the rear muffler. Albeit, I was really happy with the sound (noise level), most of the performance attributes wore off completely. Thus, I went back and got more serious work done. We replaced the Stillen X-Pipe with a Magnaflow X-Pipe. We did this without adding any crush-bent or new piping at all, it was a direct fit. The Magnaflow X-Pipe is a muffled X-Pipe; the same part Magnaflow sells in their Corvette Z06 cat-back system. NOTE: I do have the Stillen X-pipe still, so if anyone desides they want to add it again they can do so very easily (by welding it back on). I cut the sound volume in half with this muffled X-Pipe (which is pictured below), and the performance loss from adding this piece in was not significant. Overall there are still impressive gains from this system. I paid $140 for the Magnaflow muffler and am passing on this entire system to a G35 enthusiast who is looking to improve the looks and performance of their car without making it obnoxiously loud. Let me state, you can still hear this exhaust, it's very strong sounding, but it's not embarrassingly loud like it was when it was the regular Stillen system. So here's your chance to have my exhaust, which I have quite a bit of time and money in for cheap.

Here's a video of inside and outside of the car from tonight, excuse the poor filmography, my co-pilot doesn't know how to use a camera properly.

Additionally, here's more info on the custom job:

Originally Posted by BrianV
Here's a picture:

Verdict - Sound:
A lot quieter. When you rev it in idle it sounds real smooth and clean. It's much quieter, I can't illustrate how much quieter it is but it's no longer embarrassingly loud like it was before. It's probably about as loud as a stock Corvette or M3 is. It's quieter throughout the entire rev band but you can still faintly hear it most of the time. Closer to redline it gets washed out by the engine noise but you can still barely hear it behind the engine noise. It doesn't drone nearly as much around 2500 RPM like the regualr Stillen did, but you can still hear it.

Verdict Perfomance:
Performance seems to be pretty close to how it was before, I'd say the power is only very slightly depreciated if anything at all. Still massive gains over stock.

Conclusion:
Definitely turned the stillen exhaust from an impossible to live with exhaust into a respectable, worthy modification.

The end all conclusion is a Stillen exhaust with the volume cut down by around 40%. I don't have a Borla so I don't know how it compares in sound and performance, but for those worried about the volume of the Stillen, definitely consider this an option.
This is a picture of what the Magnaflow X-Pipe is like
I'm asking $700 for it + shipping (or best offer). The MSRP is near $1,200, and the cheapest I've seen it online is for $965 + shipping, and that's without my near $175 worth of additional expenses spent on it to make it better. Please contact me if you have any further questions, I'm in Austin, TX if you want to pick up the parts (possibly will deliver to Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio (depending on timing). My email is brian@brianv.net

Last edited by BrianV; 01-02-2005 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
[QUOTE=BrianV]First, here's the video: http://www.brianv.net/g35_stillen.wmv *you need Windows Media Player to play it. The car is stock except for the exhaust and z-tube.

Niceeeeeeeeee video. Your radar detector went off at the end . Hey, how come your RPM is on the left? My car's rpm is on the right. The exhaust sounds really nice.

Old 01-02-2005, 09:59 PM
The RPM is on the right.

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah the radar kind of scared me, I had it on super-high since I had just gotten back from a long road trip with loud radio going. Fortunately, the cop had already pulled someone over.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The RPM is on the right.

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah the radar kind of scared me, I had it on super-high since I had just gotten back from a long road trip with loud radio going. Fortunately, the cop had already pulled someone over.
Sorry, I meant how come yours is on the right? My RPM is on the left.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Must be an 04 to 05 difference.

Old 01-03-2005, 11:39 AM
Here's a picture of the Stillen X-pipe, you can see it was cleanly cut and can easily be added right back in:

Old 01-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Premier Member

Not to be mean or anything but I wouldn't pay $700 for a hacked up exhaust system.