G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

5AT Transmission Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:51 PM
JBH
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5AT Transmission Help

Just purchased an 04 with 60k on it. When steady cruising between 42-48 mph, if the car is not under load, there is a sudden jerk in the tranny like it is up shifting then down shifting real quick, only happens inside these parameters, everything else with shifting is flawless. Fluid is nice and clear. Doesn't smell burnt. Fluid level is good. Maybe a fuzz low. Couldn't find on the forum anyone with same problem. I did find an epinion post describing the same thing but all the responses said it was normal. It doesn't appear normal to me. Hoping some more experienced forum members can help me out.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Too many variables to solve.
What type of fluid are you using? S matic or J matic?
Has the fluid been changed? if so how many times?
Was the cooler flushed during the fluid change?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If I were you, I would go to dealership and ask for a power flush, NOT a drain and refill. Also make sure they flush out the cooler, and if u race the car, add an external cooler and bypass the stock cooler (aka heat exchanger).

Old 03-05-2012, 08:14 PM
JBH
I just purchased the car but I don't feel like the transmission fluid has every been changed even though it looks very clean. I would have to assume it is J fluid. I was going to go ahead and have it changed. From the searches I have done I thought power flushes were bad, just do a drain and refill. The car is an everyday driver. No racing.

I was hoping there was a simple cause and effect that was causing the stumbling in the transmission. I did drive 300 miles today and when I got home checked the fluid level and it is full hot.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Power flushing has a negative tendency on these cars. You will find the tranny slips moreso afterwards. Drain and fill is all that's needed. But, you should go over this symptom with a certified mechanic.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Definitely take to your mechanic and check into it. I wish I would have paid attention to the warning signs closer, But I jut finished shelling out a couple bills for a Transmission. (not to scare you) Just better safe than sorry.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by GAU-8
Power flushing has a negative tendency on these cars. You will find the tranny slips moreso afterwards. Drain and fill is all that's needed. But, you should go over this symptom with a certified mechanic.
+1 don't do a flush

Old 03-06-2012, 07:49 AM
JBH
Originally Posted by G35xinthe440
Definitely take to your mechanic and check into it. I wish I would have paid attention to the warning signs closer, But I jut finished shelling out a couple bills for a Transmission. (not to scare you) Just better safe than sorry.
What were your warning signs?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I think what's you're feeling is the transmission's torque converter going in and out of lock. The speed range you mentioned is in the window where the trans full locks up in 5th gear. If newer fluid is not helping, you may need to start suspecting something in the valve body of the transmission is messing up. Most people call this a 'shudder', if you search with that term you'll see what I mean. I also think there's a TSB for this as well, but it specifically only applies to the 06-07 years. However, there really isn't a difference mechanically between the earlier years and the newer JATCO 5ATs, just the software controller.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
had similar issues/symptoms as you describe. as soon as I change all the fluid those issues went away.

I didn't flush them out, just drained all of it from the pan, and also unhooked the line going into the radiator and slowly exchanged all of the old fluid with new.

20,000 miles later and still no problems.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by JBH
What were your warning signs?
The Shudder feeling, I like everyone else thought that this was all normal and in most cases is, but I just didn't take a close enough look at what was going on with my G, I could have prevented having to do a full overhaul. Occasional burning smells, (not enough to raise a bunch of awareness). Overall I am still happy with my car, just early on it has cost me a bit by not keeping up with a strict maintenance schedule and unfortunately a mechanic I trusted dropping the ball, when I brought up my issues.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
i had the shudder since the car was brand new.. mentioned it to the dealer many times during other services.. i think nissan is aware of the problem and had software updates to help it..
as my car got older.. the shudder "stopped" now it does it once every 6 months or so, if that..

I think it's "normal".. my transmission is fine.. i am not sure if my fluid changes had anything to do with it..
I have about 125k

Old 03-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
The shudder has a TSB to replace the valvebody for certain years. Mine shuddered around 40-45 mph. After the VB changeout at the dealership, no more shudder.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
+1 to TSB for shudder. I've heard of a TCM update but not a full valvebody change. Since you are out of warranty i'd push for the software first.

The dealers know not to use a machine to flush out the transmission, an independent shop would screw it up so if you go independent just ask for drain and fill. It turned out to be roughly the same price for me to get it done at the dealer after calling like 5 shops who would not let me bring my own fluid.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 PM
JBH
Thought I would post an update. Since I was at 60k I did a trans drain and fill, drove 1000 miles, did another 1000 miles, one more trans drain and fill. Still had the problem so I took it to a tranny shop I trusted. He hopped in and we drove the car. I was able to make the car stumble several times on the drive. Told me trans was fine and that was actually a miss. Since I wasn't throwing a code he recommended I change the plugs. Bought some new NGK's watched the DIY video and swapped them out, no fuss, no muss. Has been just under 1000 miles and it is running strong as ever and no problems.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 5AT Transmission Help