G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Exhaust Plan Layout ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 04:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Plan Layout ??

Well, here's what I got going on right now..

I got an 06' Sedan.. As far as exhaust goes, she's all stock..

So my question to all of you, since I'm really not too familiar with what exactly is going on under there, is this..

If I'm planning on buying a full Borla cat back exhaust system, what parts should I do at the same time while I'm already screwing around down there?

Obviously headers..

But there's some other terms I've seen thrown around a lot and I'm just hoping someone can clarify it all for me once and for all since I'm finally about to cross that bridge myself.. What's the purpose and differences of:

-HFC
-Y-Pipe
-Test Pipes (Resonated?)
-Downpipes

And anything else I might have missed exhaust-wise.

If someone could explain each part, as well as substitutes, etc.. Like, are any of those parts included in a full catback system? Are they replacements? If I were to go with headers and a full borla system, would I be in good shape? Or are there more parts to be swapped out down there?

I'm sure I worded some, if not most of this, like an idiot, so I'll be sure to clarify if anyone can start me off with something. It's 2 in the morning and I'm just typing this all up in a post-op Vicodin-induced coma on my phone as I do some online window-shopping so I'll be sure to revisit when I awake from my imminent slumber and make sure I didn't type half of this in Chinese. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 AM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Well for the G35, the Catbacks include everything back from the catalytic converters. So in any cat back system, a Y pipe, midpipe and muffler will be included. So unless you plan on using a seperate Y pipe than the Borla one, don't worry about Y pipes.

So from there all you will need is headers and something to replace the catalytic converters with. HFC's (High Flow Cats) and Test Pipes both replace the catalytic converters.

Test pipes have the downside of not being able to pass emissions (unless you do a defouler mod) and they also give off a bad smell. HFC's let you pass emissions with no smell but have some reliability issues and do not net quite as good gains as the test pipes.

There are various brands for HFC's and Test Pipes so search around the forums to see what you want.
Here is a good place to start:
https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...mpilation.html

Old 03-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Oh, awesome, thanks for the reply.

Damn, that sucks that there's downsides to both haha.

Any opinions/experience with any HFCs for anyone? I'll probably stick with those since they seen like less of a headache and I park in a tiny *** garage with another car already.. Don't need a nasty smell to make that any better :P

Old 03-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
If i were you, i would get either the Berk HFC's or the Motordyne ART (Advance Resonated Tuning) Test Pipes

Old 03-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Which gives more gains? Also, as far as install goes.. How much would a shop run me to put a full cat back and the HFC/Arts in? Should I do headers too while I'm at it?

Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Headers won't yield you much hp for the money and time it takes to install. Plus you'll definite need a tune to take advantage of headers. I would just do the full catback and ART pipes/HFCs/TPs.