G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Early Sedans - PNP Haltech - interest?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Received 357 Likes on 258 Posts
SDG is talking about a Technosquare tune, IIRC, that's a simple re-flash of the stock ECU.
No piggyback, no standalone, just a re-flash.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
Technosquare is no longer an option - even though that it what he FIRST did.

I believe he went (or is at least planning) to swap to the Haltech

Old 09-12-2012, 12:14 AM
Received 911 Likes on 608 Posts
^yup TS no longer doing flashes. just posted numbers to give him an idea what a tune can do w/bolt ons. i will either go w/the Haltech PNP or have JWT reflash my ECU

The following users liked this post:
TunerMax (09-12-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 08:34 AM
DVG
Received 143 Likes on 117 Posts
Is there going to be some sort of group buy?

I have done worse in terms of hp/dollar, and that is just considering peak. This will help out at every RPM, unlike other mods.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
A few questions as I am very interested in this mod considering I cannot do anything else to my car...

What functions will I lose with my ecu? Is the ECU being replaced or is the haltech unit being used in parallel?

Can I tune the:
VVEL RPM range,
RPM REDLINE,
Timing,
Top Speed Limiter,
Can we set different maps using an upload method or can it be on the fly like the UpRev??
Throttle Response/Percentage of Butterfly Opening
VDC Control
Fuel Pump Pressure Modulation
any other ideas?

Old 09-12-2012, 04:25 PM
DVG
Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
A few questions as I am very interested in this mod considering I cannot do anything else to my car...

What functions will I lose with my ecu? Is the ECU being replaced or is the haltech unit being used in parallel?

Can I tune the:
VVEL RPM range,
RPM REDLINE,
Timing,
Top Speed Limiter,
Can we set different maps using an upload method or can it be on the fly like the UpRev??
Throttle Response/Percentage of Butterfly Opening
VDC Control
Fuel Pump Pressure Modulation
any other ideas?
I dont know the specifics on what you can tune, but these are being used in parallel with stock ECU and wont lose any stock functions. (Unless I am very mistaken)

You mentioned VVEL, VVEL only exists on much newer engines. This thread is really about the older Gs (2003.0, 5AT, sedans). I believe you have other options. Haltech is still probably one of them but you wont need this adapter harness.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Early sedans use VVEL but only on the Intake Cams.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:31 PM
DVG
Didnt know that, guess it just wasnt advertised that way

Old 09-12-2012, 04:54 PM
Early sedans use VVEL but only on the Intake Cams.
You're confusing VVEL with Valve actuators. Different thing.

Valve actuators is what your car has, VVEL didn't come until 2007.

Valve actuators essentially just hold the valve open longer, or open sooner, etc. They don't actually change the valve LIFT.

VVEL changes the LIFT and the duration (angle.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:06 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
It's great to finally have options!

But one difference inbetween the Osiris and Haltech is this. The Osris will have canned tunes while I assume the Haltech will not? Therefore, whomever gets this will either have to be pretty knowledgable about ecu tuning themselves or will have to hire someone to dyno tune the Haltech after it's installed.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:19 PM
DVG
Originally Posted by Jeff92se

But one difference inbetween the Osiris and Haltech is this. The Osris will have canned tunes while I assume the Haltech will not? Therefore, whomever gets this will either have to be pretty knowledgable about ecu tuning themselves or will have to hire someone to dyno tune the Haltech after it's installed.
Pre-made tunes will never maximize your power in any case

I definitely plan to hire someone to tune mine. I would love to have it tuned by SG Motorsport but Im not sure if they will

Old 09-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se

Yuup. You'll get a base tune, but that's it. Not as precise as Osiris or anything that is out of the box tuned. But the end result will trump an Osiris tune any day as long as the tuner doesn't completely suck.

But yup, do some reading, or enlist a tuner. Not a simple PnP tune.

Originally Posted by DVG
Is there going to be some sort of group buy?

I have done worse in terms of hp/dollar, and that is just considering peak. This will help out at every RPM, unlike other mods.
Price is just silly low for this package, really. If you want to see it in action on a G35 come on over some time man, I have one, I can show you some of the stuff and explain some of it. If you're like me, sometimes you just need to see it.

What functions will I lose with my ecu? Is the ECU being replaced or is the haltech unit being used in parallel? .

None.

VVEL RPM range.

Went over this above, Haltech will control your stock Valve actuators, yes. there's a Programmable map for that.

RPM REDLINE,.

yes

Timing,.

yes

Top Speed Limiter,.

Yes, I think it's available.

Can we set different maps using an upload method or can it be on the fly like the UpRev??.

Yes, you can change it on the fly but need to re-boot ecu (key off, key on) to have it actually activate a completely different Map like that, it can't just 'jump' into it while the engine is running.

Throttle Response/Percentage of Butterfly Opening.

Yes but not in those words, you can adjust accel enrichment, etc.

VDC Control.

No. VDC is controlled by a completely different module, not the ECM.

Fuel Pump Pressure Modulation.

No. Something like this could be ADDED in I THINK, but it's not going to be available PnP.
FYI, you can only do that with full Return system anyways, not the stock system.
The stock ECM doesn't do this, it's not setup that way. Which is the primary reason you can't control it with the Haltech.

Maybe a quicker and more dirty answer to your inquires:
Pretty much anything that the stock ECU controls can be changed/adjusted with the Haltech. At the least, anything that really matters can be.

The haltech also has some decent imputs and outputs available so you can add stuff like Widebands which can be used for O2 control (fuel trims), boost controllers, etc, etc.

For pretty much anything short of re-engineering, this unit operates almost as a Standalone, it's features and functions are impressive IMO.

Hope that helps, if anything is incorrect please correct Darren!

The following users liked this post:
DVG (09-12-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 05:48 PM
DVG
^Why are you always 5 steps ahead of me! Can you tell me some deets about your haltech? Eg. What mods you have, and how it changed the car? PM if youd like

Old 09-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Should probably be mentioned that if you go FI, this thing can handle it no problem

Old 09-12-2012, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by DVG
^Why are you always 5 steps ahead of me! Can you tell me some deets about your haltech? Eg. What mods you have, and how it changed the car? PM if youd like
I'm still playing, I've been pulled away from it for other things on the car as well as other 'life' stuff.
Basically I'm tuning the Haltech when i get time, and then when i need to drive the car I just plug the stock ECU back in. I had a vacuum leak that was intermittent that was screwing me up pretty hard and I couldn't get a good base tune setup.

Now that I've got that fixed I just need to get the time to dig back in and get the tuning going again.

I'm getting familiar with it, but actually don't have the car running on it currently. Will be soon, maybe even this weekend.

mod list MREV2, Z tube, Baffless intake, Test pipes, Coupe midpipe, thatssit. I have a V3 on the way and it'll get a 'professional' dyno tune once that is installed. I've been working on the Gauge/sensor installs and fuel pump install in prep for the SC.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Early Sedans - PNP Haltech - interest?