G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Rotors getting warped?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rotors getting warped?

So I had all my rotors and pads replaced at an Infiniti dealership about 3 months ago and I noticed the other day that the front rotors are starting to get these little grooves on them that you can definitely feel if you run your fingers across them. It seems kind of odd that these rotors wouldn't be smooth considering I replaced everything all at once, so I was thinking of taking the car back in next week to see if they would figure out the issue for me before it gets any worse.

My question is would they charge me for this, or is it on them to fix the problem? Or am I just being paranoid and it's really not a big deal?

I guess OEM rotors and pads are garbage and I should've probably gone a different route to begin with

Old 05-13-2012, 01:33 AM
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
When your braking do you feel any vibrations ? If yes then it might be warped.

they should not charge you because it is practically brand new

Old 05-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
if your car is a 03-04 model.. (maybe later year x-models), it's normal...

there's a reason these cars get "world class" braking performance, and this is it..

the factory pads are pretty harsh to rotors..

wait.. you do mean on the edges of the rotors, right? on the face towards the edges?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:27 AM
Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
Call them up and ask if their rotors come with a warranty because you're thinking about having them replaced by the dealership. I've caught companies in a lie before, so I usually pose as a potenial customer first to get the truth (or what they say is the truth) before going back with the problem and being told its not under warranty when it actually is.

The following users liked this post:
WhipWhitaker (05-13-2012)
Old 05-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Originally Posted by joedaddy1
if your car is a 03-04 model.. (maybe later year x-models), it's normal...

there's a reason these cars get "world class" braking performance, and this is it..

the factory pads are pretty harsh to rotors..

wait.. you do mean on the edges of the rotors, right? on the face towards the edges?
Yeah it's an 05x and it is on the face of the rotors but I think it's more towards the middle than the outside. What difference would that make?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
05X rotors GOTTA GO

UPGRADE to 06X pistons and rotors...or if possible any 05/06/07 dual piston front caliper and larger rotor

Old 05-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by MountainHawkG
Yeah it's an 05x and it is on the face of the rotors but I think it's more towards the middle than the outside. What difference would that make?
oh okay.. well if it's in the middle.. it SHOULD disappear in few hundred miles.. but if you want a piece of mind, you can take it to the dealership.. i doubt they'll charge you to check things over.

It's not vibrating right? if not.. i wouldn't worry about it TOO much.. just give it couple of weeks if it's not vibrating. I've seen "grooves" on the face of rotors before.. didn't think too much about it.. they disappeared on their own..

maybe spray some water on them to get the brake dust off.. not sure if this will help.. haha..

Old 05-14-2012, 09:08 PM
It's not vibrating at all, but I double checked and the grooves seem to be across the full face of the rotors, not just the middle. Still have yet to take the car in but I sure do expect them to do a lot more than just look things over.
I can't justify buying bigger pads and rotors right now since these are still practically new, and they perform more than well enough for me.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 PM
If you feel no feedback in the pedal and you stop fine, no need to replace them. Be prepared to turn the rotors and replace the pads next year though...and when you do get the 06/07 setup.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 PM
And that set up would last considerably longer? Or should I just look into aftermarket at that point? I don't really want to be replacing brakes once a year since it's a big expense.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 PM
YUP Get aftermarket StopTech rotors and OEM dual piston calipers.

The following users liked this post:
WhipWhitaker (05-14-2012)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Thanks I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future. I'll update the thread after going to the dealer this week.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by MountainHawkG
Thanks I'll definitely keep that in mind for the future. I'll update the thread after going to the dealer this week.
i seriously doubt you'll need new pads and rotors in a year.. unless you brake the hell out of your car..

the pad probably last anywhere from 20k~30k AVERAGE.. rotors 60k~80k...
the dealership will warrants their OEM parts and workmanship for 12k miles or 1 year.. so no need to test them by calling them first.. LOL.. you paid a premium to get your work done at a dealer, they are expensive, but not SHADY..

Larger brakes might be nice but not economical.. just get some Akebono Ceremic pads.. it'll last twice as long with much less brake dust. The braking distance MIGHT suffer a bit, but nothing to be alarmed about.. it'll still be better than average

Old 05-14-2012, 10:37 PM
03/04/05X brakes are terrible, might as well use a cardboard rotor

There is a reason Infiniti changed the brakes mid generation.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by AARONHL
03/04/05X brakes are terrible, might as well use a cardboard rotor

There is a reason Infiniti changed the brakes mid generation.
what do you mean terrible?

I believe the main reason was due to an average infiniti customer complaining the brakes were not lasting as long as it did with their previous hondas and toyotas. Also the insane amount of brake dust. I think nissan got fad up with this, so they just fixed the issue.. i think these were the big reasons, so don't quote me..

braking performance wise, they are unbelievable.. they are in the Porsche territory...
wear wise, it's similar to any "great" braking car.. maybe just a tad bit sooner... bmw 3-series brakes don't last that much longer...

correct me if I am wrong, but upgrading to 05-06 brakes will help with wear, but not much improvement on the braking distance department, if any. Yes, maybe if you track your car, the heat dissapation and brake fade improvements are there. But for a daily driver, it might not be worth the investment unless you pick it up for a super duper low price..

just saying... let's not scare the new kid on the block..
let's let him take it step by step..

Last edited by joedaddy1; 05-15-2012 at 05:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rotors getting warped?