G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Gas Mileage Drop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome, thanks for the help, the pic makes it easy too.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Great! Thanks!

Old 11-16-2012, 03:20 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
the ****, i get 260-280 with a full tank =(

Old 11-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
I get 360 and have just under 1/4 tank left.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:16 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I'm at 130 right now with a quarter tank

Old 11-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
One thing I noticed is that our cars getting amazing mileage on the highway when you use cruise control and are driving on relatively flat topography (what car doesn't right?). Case in point, I have driven between Dallas and San Diego on two separate occasions and averaged 30+ mpg both trips.

With that said, things do not look so good once you are driving on surface streets in areas with alot of hills (i.e. suburban Socal), I live about 3.5 miles from work now and there are alot of stop signs/traffic signals, school zones and hills between home and work (surface streets the whole way). My house is also tucked away in an area that is three miles from the nearest highway, also with many signals and stop signs in between - encased by rolling hills and topography that is anything but flat.

The best I can do under these circumstances is 16-17mpg mixed.

My guess is that those members getting 300 miles plus to a tank most likely have longer commutes where they can maintain steady speeds for longer periods of time. We're all enthusiasts that maintain our cars religiously, otherwise, we probably wouldn't of even found this discussion forum, so I think trying to point to obvious things like tire pressure and dirty filters are not relevant within this group.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:42 AM
Question - has anyone ever seen positive results (MPG) associated with the fuel injection service the dealer recommends? I have always cleaned my throttle body myself and used fuel system cleaner every other oil change, so I did not think this would be money well spent.

However, all of the dealership folks disagree and believe that the full blow 'hood over the intake' injection service is needed, especially in areas like CA where our fuel contains alot of additives used to meet regulatory/environmental specs.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:46 PM
Status : As of Friday around 5:00PM EST, I changed my PCV Valve, cleaned my MAF sensor as well as replaced my K&N filter. Will update after I drive it for a couple of weeks.

UPDATE : After all the fun with changing parts, cleaning others, and spending money...No change in my mileage. At this point I am just going to suck it up and deal with it, assume the gas 'with up to 10% ethanol' is the cause since its winter time up here in NY.

Last edited by TheAdrenaline; 12-26-2012 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Update
The following users liked this post:
bigjee (01-01-2013)
Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
bro I'm in the same boat and I love in florida.. my gas milage is drop BIG TIME.. On a full tank of gas I used to get between 280 and 300 mpg, NOW!! I'm at 250 to 260.. i have changed the PCV valve already. Where is this MAF sensor at and how/what do I clean it with?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by socketz67
One thing I noticed is that our cars getting amazing mileage on the highway when you use cruise control and are driving on relatively flat topography (what car doesn't right?). Case in point, I have driven between Dallas and San Diego on two separate occasions and averaged 30+ mpg both trips.

With that said, things do not look so good once you are driving on surface streets in areas with alot of hills (i.e. suburban Socal), I live about 3.5 miles from work now and there are alot of stop signs/traffic signals, school zones and hills between home and work (surface streets the whole way). My house is also tucked away in an area that is three miles from the nearest highway, also with many signals and stop signs in between - encased by rolling hills and topography that is anything but flat.

The best I can do under these circumstances is 16-17mpg mixed.

My guess is that those members getting 300 miles plus to a tank most likely have longer commutes where they can maintain steady speeds for longer periods of time. We're all enthusiasts that maintain our cars religiously, otherwise, we probably wouldn't of even found this discussion forum, so I think trying to point to obvious things like tire pressure and dirty filters are not relevant within this group.

Same here.

Go long and straight and get awesome mileage. Minute i get off the highway, that high 20's MPG turns into 15-20MPG.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by broke_as_ajoke
bro I'm in the same boat and I love in florida.. my gas milage is drop BIG TIME.. On a full tank of gas I used to get between 280 and 300 mpg, NOW!! I'm at 250 to 260.. i have changed the PCV valve already. Where is this MAF sensor at and how/what do I clean it with?
The MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) can be cleaned with MAF cleaner, ask for it at your local auto store and they should have a few options, go for a quick drying one so you don't have to wait long to put it back together. As for the location of it, I have a K&N Typhoon Intake system so mine is literally that black box that the air filter is attached to. Yours will look the same, just might be in a different position based on what mods have been done. The sensor itself is the piece inside the black tude that the wire is connected to.

Attached Thumbnails Gas Mileage Drop-infiniti_k-n1.jpg  
Old 12-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Radio shack has electronics cleaner. It's cheaper than the auto parts store stuff

DO NOT use brake cleaner

Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 AM
I was on the same witch hunt a few weeks back and even paid the dealer to run diagnostics on the emissions system and all sensors (cost about $150 and you even get a nice printout of the values if you are so inclined to figure out what they mean). Everything fell well within spec. I was sure my problem was sensor related, but that did not turn out to be the case.

I also had them check for vacuum leaks (they said there were none) and re-torque the plenum (5/16 spacer install a year prior, 1/2 the bolts had become loose).

That seemed to do the trick. I am now back around 17-18mpg mixed (mostly stop and go in hilly Socal).

Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
^ Thanks bro.. that might be my problem as well.. The bolts may have came loose on the plenum. I have smelled gas a couple of times.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually my average gas mileage over the last couple years as increased a small amount. I've tended to search out 100% gas, when possible, which probably helps. Also, I now have further to drive to/from work, on the interstate, so that probably helps too.

Nothing dramatic. I've averaged just over 21mpg in 9 years, 3 months.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage Drop