G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

New '04 G35 Owner, Looking for Input

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 02:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New '04 G35 Owner, Looking for Input

Hey guys, new member, new G35 owner. Previously had a Benz E320, loved it. Digging the G35, got some good get-up and go, handles well, so far so good. I got it at 94k miles, I've been servicing cars for a while now, hopefully can push it to 200k with some good maintenance.

There are a few things I'm already wanting to do to it to make it my own. First off, I'm wanting to do the DDin conversion, toss a torn down Nexus 7 in there with some extra gadgets, USB DAC for audio to the car, USB ODBII, SSD for storage, reverse cam, dash cam, in cabin camera+microphone, and a few other bits. Probably paired with a raspberry pi+CANBUS circuit to play around with some integrated car controls.

Speaking of the CANBUS mods, one of the things I'm wanting to do is swap steering wheels. Mine came without the Volume/Mode buttons on the left hand side, can I just swap out the steering wheel and plug one with the buttons in to have it work or is it looking for some extra set of relays/device? If it's either based on CANBUS or analog pullup/down, I'll tap it to control the volume from the Nexus 7 tablet. Overall, I see this as being very doable.

Other thing I'm wanting to do is potentially add keyfob remote unlock/lock. I got just the bare key, this is a very basic and stock car, rather annoying to unlock and lock via only one lock on the drivers door. I'm wanting to install a remote entry system, and am wondering if there are any stock Infiniti systems and parts that I can simply add to the car to handle lock/unlock/trunk/panic/I-Key, or should I go with a third party keyless system and tap them into the doors? Or do I already have the keyfob system in place, just missing the actual keyfob and need to pick one up and program it?

Looked at the Tips/Tricks/Facts thread, and found a few things of interest. Hidden cubby hole in the back arm rest, nice! No first aid kit slot though...another thing is that this being an AT G35, it most likely doesn't have a PS cooler. Now that's something I noticed about the car, the wheel is rather tense, which is nice at high speeds, I don't flop around as much, but otherwise is a PS cooler important, and if so can/should I install one?

My car has standard halogen bulbs...can I install some HID bulbs? If so, any suggestions on which ones work best with the G?

Also, anything I should be aware of with this car? For instance, in the E320, I had a few issues that were common to that model body such as the rear window regulator breaking, motor mounts, etc. Anything to lookout for with this '04 G35?

Thanks for the input guys.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:15 AM
wow, thats a lot of mods to do. post pictures when you are done.
I think you missing the keyfob, i thought all g35 came with factory alarm installed. when you lock the car with the key - is there a flashing light by the clock ? anyway, you can try buying the keyfob on ebay, they cost less then 10$, and takes 1 minute to program it.

common problems - i think wheel bearing / hubs, but they are easy to replace by yourself. also speed sensors sometimes break, or the magnetic tone rings. otherwise - great car.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,029 Likes on 946 Posts
How Is your experience with the raspberry pi? I was planning a car PC like you are, but the speed of the pi is not close to that of a current DDin head unit. Some users also built in Mac Minis which work very well because of their front row capabilities... I wouldn't honestly just stick to a typical DDin though, because the wow factor of car PC's are gone now that our cell phones are faster then many of our at home desktop PCs!

Also, the raspberry pi could not distribute sound out to multiple channels (stereo), it could only release one distinct tone so no subwoofer could be powered by it (mono).

Also, if you are in for a unique look the retrofitted headlights aren't everyone's cup of tea, but they look mighty cool. If not, get the 06-07 could headlights as they have MUCH better light output.

Any more questions PM me or Wrathernaut if you have very specific electrical questions (forum mod).

Old 09-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Old 09-21-2013, 03:54 PM
Received 142 Likes on 123 Posts
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Also, if you are in for a unique look the retrofitted headlights aren't everyone's cup of tea, but they look mighty cool. If not, get the 06-07 could headlights as they have MUCH better light output.
Uh, he posted in the sedan section so I'm assuming he has a sedan, and if so the 06 headlights won't fit unless you get the whole front end for an 05/06, and the 07 is the v36 for sedan so that would require a lot of fabrication to get those lights on it.

Old 09-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Common problem I just had to deal with, the SES check engine light comes on, car chugs and stalls out every so often and has hard starts. ODBII scanner brings up code 340 - cam position sensor error passenger side. There is a great write up on this easy fix that will save you over $100 at the mechanics, and buy the part on ebay for $20, as most auto parts stores charge alot more when they stock this older part. Happy modding!

Old 09-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

I missed the mark on the sedan thread, but everything else holds up. Car PC's are slow and buggy whereas DDin conversion is the way to go.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
How Is your experience with the raspberry pi? I was planning a car PC like you are, but the speed of the pi is not close to that of a current DDin head unit. Some users also built in Mac Minis which work very well because of their front row capabilities... I wouldn't honestly just stick to a typical DDin though, because the wow factor of car PC's are gone now that our cell phones are faster then many of our at home desktop PCs!

Also, the raspberry pi could not distribute sound out to multiple channels (stereo), it could only release one distinct tone so no subwoofer could be powered by it (mono).

Any more questions PM me or Wrathernaut if you have very specific electrical questions (forum mod).
Well, my idea is to use a Nexus 7/Galaxy Tab as the head unit and central processor and otherwise via some custom web app or XML-RPC more like communicate with the RaspPi and use the RaspPi for its GPIO ports and build a CANBUS circuit for it. I've got mine modestly overclocked and with my CANBUS and RS233/485 experiments it was fast enough for the application but otherwise you are correct, the RaspPi itself is not nearly powerful enough to be the central brain behind the head unit.

Is there any difference between the KBRTN001 keyfob and the KR55 besides price?

Thanks for the great replies y'all I'll be back with more to say after work and when I'm not tapping all this out on my phone