G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

CV axle re-booting

Old 08-05-2014, 12:05 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
CV axle re-booting

After my last oil change, disvoered my front passenger side inner CV boot is all torn up. Grease is flinging out and it needs to be fixed, or replace the entire CV shaft.

No noises or issues yet, so i wonder if i can reboot...or more specivically HOW. How do you get the new boot on? Stretch it over the inner CV joint, or do i need to disassemble?

I'd replace the entire CV shaft, but can't find any for sale, and rock auto doesn't even have the rebuild service right now.

Still driving the car, but hoping to fix this soon before I damage that shaft.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:17 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
When I did them on my maxima, you have to take the axle out, tap off the joint, clean it all up, repack the cv joint, slip on the new boot, tap the cv joint back on and them reinstall the cv joint.

If it was the outer, you could leave the cv joint in and try to tap off the CV but you can't.

It's a large, messy pain in the ****. Especially if all the ball bearings fall out of the cage when fooling with it.

If your joint has been ripped for sometime, you probably have wear from the dirt that got into it.

I'd just buy a rebuilt unit and be done with it

Old 08-05-2014, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I'd just buy a rebuilt unit and be done with it

Given 150K miles on it, i'd prefer to rebuild. I just can't find one to purchase.

Even rockauto doesn't have fronts right now

Old 08-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Given 150K miles on it, i'd prefer to rebuild. I just can't find one to purchase.

Even rockauto doesn't have fronts right now
And, you likely won't find it anymore. I have rebuilt the same thing twice and can no longer find it. It is a common problem. Mine ripped when I lowered the car, and then ripped again later on likely from the same reason. The only way I've gotten mine fixed is NOT using that stock boot. When I was doing some upgrades to my car I had my shop source a different boot that was compatible and made of a softer rubber to handle the extra stress from the odd flex angles. So if at all I would recommend you not buying the stock boot and trying to find someone who can get you a different and compatible boot. I'm trying to save you here because it is a huge pain in the *** and you basically can't find this anywhere, at least I can't!

Old 08-06-2014, 01:01 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by epborden
And, you likely won't find it anymore. I have rebuilt the same thing twice and can no longer find it. It is a common problem. Mine ripped when I lowered the car, and then ripped again later on likely from the same reason. The only way I've gotten mine fixed is NOT using that stock boot. When I was doing some upgrades to my car I had my shop source a different boot that was compatible and made of a softer rubber to handle the extra stress from the odd flex angles. So if at all I would recommend you not buying the stock boot and trying to find someone who can get you a different and compatible boot. I'm trying to save you here because it is a huge pain in the *** and you basically can't find this anywhere, at least I can't!
Damn I have the same problem, if you can get the part number for the one you got that would be great.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Rockauto does have different boots for sale. I wonder if any of those are the one you got? They sell Raybestos, and Beck-Arnley. However, i did make it to 150K miles and only ripped 1 of the possible 8 boots on the car. I'm not lowered, so i'm not stressing it any more than stock. If another boot only lasts 50K...well at that point i'm at 200K anyway.

How is the rebooting process? You need to disassemble the shaft a bit right?

I have no idea the condition of the joint, but no noises I can tell yet. Maybe i should hurry my *** up and get the shaft off, clean it up, regrease and reboot and cross my fingers?

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 08-06-2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2014, 02:10 PM
If anyone is looking for an axle. Rockauto.com has ONE left (i assume driver's side) front CV axle for $60 + core.

Figures...i need the right one.

Old 08-14-2014, 03:00 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
do you have a rebuilding service close?
http://cvaxleexpress.com/

Old 08-14-2014, 04:20 PM
Nope. Checked. I could lay the car up for some time and drive to one a bit further away, but so far no issues with the axle to just hoping one pops up on Ebay or Rockauto (a rebuilt one)

Old 08-19-2014, 05:40 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
I've heard bad things when going non-oem front axles on AWD cars. I know OEM dealer prices are BEYOND RAPE. Personally if a reboot is an option i would try my best to do that. Every oil change i've done i've been watching them.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
Personally if a reboot is an option i would try my best to do that. Every oil change i've done i've been watching them.
I have no problem attempting this, but just looking for some info on how.

I've seen some of the components to rebuild it myself. Axle isn't making any noise right now, so if i can just regrease and reboot it, i'd go this way. I just want to know what it would take to get it done before I yank it out and find out I don't have a specific tool I need.

I know about the crimper i can rent from AZ for the boot, i'm referring to any tools needed to disassemble the CV joint

Old 08-20-2014, 12:42 PM
I actually got my front axles rebuilt by Rockauto. I've had zero problems at all with the axles themselves for over 10k miles now. This includes 120mph on a supercharged X. The stock driver's side boot held up, but the passenger did not. The passenger, like I said before, ripped twice but that was before the supercharger. I will try to find out where my shop got that boot, I asked them once and they said the guy they got it from wouldn't give them a part number or something. It was weird. What I do know is that they did say it was a softer rubber and probably longer. When I look at it under the car it does seem to match up with that description. I wish I could give you guys a direct part number but I'm not sure if there is one. You might have to play around with different boots until you find one. I would try looking at boots from other Nissan/Infiniti cars to try and find a match. It really sucks because in my case, originally, my car was down for two weeks on jack stands waiting for a boot. The main problem is IF this one I have now ever rips then I'll be looking for "that custom boot" again. I would also recommend you guys try to find a good shop/mechanic and establish a relationship because it will probably happen again, ESPECIALLY if you use that stock boot, and they might be able to hook you up each time.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:37 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I have no problem attempting this, but just looking for some info on how.

I've seen some of the components to rebuild it myself. Axle isn't making any noise right now, so if i can just regrease and reboot it, i'd go this way. I just want to know what it would take to get it done before I yank it out and find out I don't have a specific tool I need.

I know about the crimper i can rent from AZ for the boot, i'm referring to any tools needed to disassemble the CV joint

Apologies for bringing up an old thread but Mustang, what did you end up doing on this? I unfortunately seem to have the same exact situation- was getting my oil changed Saturday and decided to go under and see what everything looked like and I saw that my inner boot on my right axle had ripped where it attaches to the axle. No noises yet.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Look up an axle/driveshaft shop in your area and tell them what you need to do. The can usually reboot/grease the axle for around $80 (in my area this is what I pay).

Old 12-09-2014, 03:07 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by epborden
Look up an axle/driveshaft shop in your area and tell them what you need to do. The can usually reboot/grease the axle for around $80 (in my area this is what I pay).
Thank you Epborden, around $80 would be fantastic. Been doing some reading so that's definitely on my list of options but if the axle is too far gone, I was looking at an Autozone rebuilt axle for $100 (not sure about this one, has to be ordered) or a new OEM one shipped to me for $480 (ouch). Mustangs situation sounded so close to mine thought I’d ask if he went for a reboot or what he did and how that’s working out so far.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CV axle re-booting