G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Custom Shop Exhaust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:34 PM
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Custom Shop Exhaust

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if anyone around here successfully had a exhaust shop make a custom setup for our sedans?

Considering how the only half decent choices we have available is the Borla, Stillen, and Tanabe(?), and there expensive as. I'm better off getting one fabricated. The reason for this being is that I would have no problem buying the Stillen, but considering I'm from Canada and our exchange rate is butt. I'll literally be spending an extra 3-5 hundred just trying to bring it over here.

What I was thinking of doing is possibly having a mimic of the Stillen created. Or some dual(ish) exhaust equivalent. (Single wall, not going to bother doing the split).

The basic idea I had was:

MD Art Pipes (2.25 > 2.5)
Custom Y pipe into an X (2.5 > 2.5, 2.75, 3.0?) ie. Stillen style where it's split from the cat for about 3 feet then converges in an X pipe then split again
Rest of Exhaust (x.x > 3?? Or the OD from above all the way through) This part I'm confused.

The picture I'm trying to draw above is a dual style exhaust with an X pipe. Based on Tonys old post. His ART pipe is god. Then 3 feet after that the pipe should be 2.5 in diameter. Then after that 3 feet it's best to have it at 3 inches to the rest of the way through.
The only thing I didn't catch from above is if this applies only to a single exhaust setup (single pipe all the way through like the VQ exhaust). Or would the same apply to a dual exhaust setup (TDX2)

And I will of course be putting some resonators in there or a premuffler.

As you can see, I'm just a storm of thoughts right now. All help is appreciated

Old 08-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Try searching magnaflow sedan on here and magnaflow g35 sedan on Youtube.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was thinking about doing exactly what you are talking about. Looked into it a little bit and the killer for me was that I really liked the look of the magnaflow 14815 muffler and couldn't find a muffler that looked like it with a dual inlet and outlet. So I instead went with coupe midpipe, ebay y pipe(not installed yet sitting on my kitchen table) and magnaflow 14815 muffler and really like the sound so far. Of course a week or 2 after I got the exhaust put on a stillen dual exhaust showed up used in my area for a nice price. I kind of feel like the N/A gains you would get over a decent single exit exhaust aren't worth the extra effort and money. If you go through with it let us know what you do. I am interested to see how this would have turned out.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by evil00017
I was thinking about doing exactly what you are talking about. Looked into it a little bit and the killer for me was that I really liked the look of the magnaflow 14815 muffler and couldn't find a muffler that looked like it with a dual inlet and outlet. So I instead went with coupe midpipe, ebay y pipe(not installed yet sitting on my kitchen table) and magnaflow 14815 muffler and really like the sound so far. Of course a week or 2 after I got the exhaust put on a stillen dual exhaust showed up used in my area for a nice price. I kind of feel like the N/A gains you would get over a decent single exit exhaust aren't worth the extra effort and money. If you go through with it let us know what you do. I am interested to see how this would have turned out.
I can't help but agree with you to a certain extent about the dual exhaust gain over single. I guess there's a reason why Tony did that for his VQ exhaust.
For the time being I'm going to get some quotes for the setup and see if it's worth it. Looking at forums even a custom job can go over $1000 if you want some decent quality welds.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
$600 all straight through style, not sure of part #'s... Also has an apexi tip. Love it. It'll cost you a lot more to go with your idea but you'll get what you want. IMO catbacks are for looks and noise, not performance gains but I went with 3" because I knew I'd go FI eventually.

Here's a pic of mine just to give you an idea, I have no regrets regarding it. Sounds sweet, no rasp, deep tone, throaty.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:17 PM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
$600 all straight through style, not sure of part #'s... Also has an apexi tip. Love it. It'll cost you a lot more to go with your idea but you'll get what you want. IMO catbacks are for looks and noise, not performance gains but I went with 3" because I knew I'd go FI eventually.

Here's a pic of mine just to give you an idea, I have no regrets regarding it. Sounds sweet, no rasp, deep tone, throaty.

That looks pretty awesome.
Is that a HR Y-Pipe or the stock one?
And how does the car feel with the 3" piping? I'm guessing you lost some power down low, or would this not be the case since it's after the Y.
Sorry for the questions, I just want to get the numbers right based on experience and science

Old 08-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Spartan268
That looks pretty awesome.
Is that a HR Y-Pipe or the stock one?
And how does the car feel with the 3" piping? I'm guessing you lost some power down low, or would this not be the case since it's after the Y.
Sorry for the questions, I just want to get the numbers right based on experience and science

No problem, it was a stock X one. This was years ago. I went with a M3 y pipe after, don't get one though, they are thin and cheap. No difference because I didn't touch the headers cats or Y at that time. After doing all three of those and keeping the 3" catback I still didn't lose power anywhere.... There's no science here though lol.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:07 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I grew up in a muffler shop so I know what they're capable of.

Why have some muffler shop mechanic build a system when you consider the hundreds of hours exhaust company's like Motordyne or Magnflow spend testing for WHP and sound results? Then there's a difference between stainless and steel pipe, even living in a warm dry climate steel will eventually rust and look like crap! I guess if you don't have the funds to spend on a quality system the corner muffler shop is your only option!
Gary

Old 08-20-2015, 02:55 PM
Originally Posted by yosip1115
No problem, it was a stock X one. This was years ago. I went with a M3 y pipe after, don't get one though, they are thin and cheap. No difference because I didn't touch the headers cats or Y at that time. After doing all three of those and keeping the 3" catback I still didn't lose power anywhere.... There's no science here though lol.
Ahh I see. I have just the ART pipes, I'll def be needing to look into a proper Y pipe, or get the whole darn thing done. And there's plenty of science here. All about dem physics.

Originally Posted by gary c
Why have some muffler shop mechanic build a system when you consider the hundreds of hours exhaust company's like Motordyne or Magnflow spend testing for WHP and sound results? Then there's a difference between stainless and steel pipe, even living in a warm dry climate steel will eventually rust and look like crap! I guess if you don't have the funds to spend on a quality system the corner muffler shop is your only option!
Gary
I'm not afraid to throw down the funding for it. But the surplus that I'll need to invest in is the issue. A $1000 stillen system translate into a $1300 conversion before any taxes, delivery, import, whatever that might get thrown at me. I've been on the hunt for a used system for a very long time. Last one that popped up, the seller wanted to stay local which sucked. I might just settle with the Tanabe and swap out the Muffler for something that looks a little less like a rice rocket.
And I know exactly what you mean with the local muffler shops, read some horror stories. If I were to go custom it will be a reputable shop without a doubt. Not the standard rookie weld job shops. Sometimes circumstances forces a persons hand. I dont know if I can stay with the stock system for any longer :'(

Last edited by Spartan268; 08-20-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:14 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Cant you have someone in the US buy it and ship it to you? I am guessing you live far from the border or you could just pick it up over here.