G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Odd power steering stiffness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Odd power steering stiffness

Hi folks - have read several things about failing power steering on G35s - would like to see if I can arm myself with insight before taking car to shop or taking on a DIY job.

Issue: Power steering has intermittent stiffness. By intermittent, I mean the following: Imagine turning the wheel one full rotation, and keeping in mind the face of a clock. During turning, the stiffness is observed in an alternating "stiff-smooth-stiff" fashion. aka stiff between 1-2 o'clock, smooth between 2-3 o'clock, stiff between 3-4 o'clock, smooth 4-5 o'clock, etc. (I'm not using exact numbers for the stiffness, but hopefully you know what I mean)

Rather than simply state the power steering is stiff - I'm trying to convey this exact symptom in hopes that it might be indicative of an exact issue. I've read many people being convinced it's their power steering pump, only to find it's not... A friend also suggested this sounds like could be a belt - would this be the same belt as alternator? If a belt I would considering changing myself...

Happy to describe more if needed - but any help appreciated!

Brad

Old 10-29-2015, 10:51 PM
Received 162 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by bsn321
Hi folks - have read several things about failing power steering on G35s - would like to see if I can arm myself with insight before taking car to shop or taking on a DIY job.

Issue: Power steering has intermittent stiffness. By intermittent, I mean the following: Imagine turning the wheel one full rotation, and keeping in mind the face of a clock. During turning, the stiffness is observed in an alternating "stiff-smooth-stiff" fashion. aka stiff between 1-2 o'clock, smooth between 2-3 o'clock, stiff between 3-4 o'clock, smooth 4-5 o'clock, etc. (I'm not using exact numbers for the stiffness, but hopefully you know what I mean)

Rather than simply state the power steering is stiff - I'm trying to convey this exact symptom in hopes that it might be indicative of an exact issue. I've read many people being convinced it's their power steering pump, only to find it's not... A friend also suggested this sounds like could be a belt - would this be the same belt as alternator? If a belt I would considering changing myself...

Happy to describe more if needed - but any help appreciated!

Brad
If the belt was slipping you would most likely hear a squealing sound. When is the last time you changed your ps fluid?

Old 10-29-2015, 11:00 PM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Sounds more like you're low on PS fluid. Did you check?

Old 10-30-2015, 11:19 AM
PS fluid levels are perfect. I acquired this G35 from family member - claims to have had serviced regularly at Infiniti but can't know for sure.

Was going to try to remove some fluid and add Lucas conditioner. Worth trying to see if makes a difference?

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2015, 12:45 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Two things will cause your issue since you claim fluid is full, the pump or rack! Check under your G for any fluid leaks since it's difficult to see the rack. Don't go to the dealership with this issue unless you have very deep pockets...Gary

Old 10-30-2015, 02:14 PM
I haven't noticed any fluid leak on the ground - perhaps I should look more closely up under.

For what it's worth - I haven't touched the fluid since I acquired the car a year ago - and the level is spot on. (aka thinking any almost imperceptible leak wouldn't be causing this?)

Not planning to go to dealership (thanks for the advice!) going to some mechanics I mostly trust - but trying to avoid what I foresee will be trial and error.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar issue with my 04 sedan. Mine felt stiff more so when driving. When turning corners I felt that my steering had an inconsistent feel to it. I replaced my compression rod bushing one day because they had failed and noticed an improvement in my steering. Turning was smoother and more direct. Just my experience but it would be worth looking at your compression rod bushing and try to see if its worn or cracked.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:48 PM
derek619 -

you might be on to something. over the past year I've heard rumbling in the front end - wasn't sure (still not sure) if it's struts or sway bar or compression bushing (I've read often times G35s have issues with compression bushings).

I'll investigate this as well. it's odd though that the steering issue literally materialized over night. It is not a subtle symptom.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:50 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Compression rod bushings and outer tie rods might need to be replaced. Inspect the ball joint on the compression rod and press in a new one if you need to. Also check the ball joint on the knuckle. I would inspect all suspension components to ensure they are still in good condition.

Old 11-04-2015, 09:24 AM
Okay to use Lucas PS fluid?

I'm going to try a DIY fluid change. It's not dark black but more brown than red.

Is it okay to add a little Lucas conditioner in this vehicle??

Old 11-04-2015, 04:05 PM
an update:

I swung by the local Nissan dealership to ask some general questions about this issue. I mentioned I was going to flush the PS fluid as a first step - just to make sure. He basically laughed at me to say if my levels were correct - then changing the fluid was not going to make any difference at all - basically don't bother.

Well - I did indeed change the fluid and now the steering is almost back to normal. Mind you - I did a poor man's fluid change with a turkey baster, some new fluid, and a little Lucas for good measure.

The steering is still slightly stiff in a jerky way - but it's almost unnoticeable, compared to this morning when it was almost undrivable. I suppose I'll consider this chapter closed for now. I do still have a considerable amount of knocking with something going on in the front suspension - I'm recalling brief inspection of tie rods a few months ago indicated it probably wasn't them - but thinking was that could be struts. Compression bushings are still on the table as well...

Many thanks to this awesome response. I'll point out that two other posts on other G forums yielded 0 replies. You guys are awesome. Thanks!

Brad

Old 11-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Actually one follow-up question I forgot to ask:

The PS reservoir cap seems to just pop off no matter what angle I turn it to. I thought one had to line it up just right to be able to pop off (like an aspirin bottle...) Although it does snap into a sort of locked state - just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. Don't want the pressure to pop it off...

What am I missing?

Old 11-04-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 75 Likes on 74 Posts
That is normal with the cap. I would do another baster change because you probably only got about half of the old fluid. But that is the way to do it, poor or rich haha.

Sounds like it will be perfect after you do that if it made a difference.

I stay away from any fluid additives because they break down and such over time, just not worth the risk if staying OEM keeps it happy.

Regarding the dealer it is very rare you find someone there that 1: cares and 2: knows more than you can learn here on G driver.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:06 AM
Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts
Raise the front of the car, put it safely on jackstands. Doesn't have to be high, just take the pressure off of the front wheels. Do your turkey baster fluid change. CAP the reservoir. Start the car and go lock to lock slowly... slowly or you will aerate the fluid.. about 20 times. Lock to lock means all the way around and all the way back.. 20 times. slowly. Center the wheels.

Shut off the car. Wait a few minutes, 1-2 minutes is fine. Do your turkey baster change again, and top off the fluid. CAP the reservoir. Start the car. Go back and forth 20x more. SLOWLY turning the wheels back and forth.

Shut off the car. Top off the fluid, and now go drive with no more jerkiness or hesitation (which is air still trapped in the hydraulic system...which you just properly purged all of).

When I say slowly, don't be ridiculous, just turn the wheel smoothly around to the steering stop. Don't push against the stop or you can aerate the fluid there as well (pump will groan or whine).

The following 2 users liked this post by EPiK:
Blue Dream (10-06-2016), ErikNYC (06-02-2017)
Old 11-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Thanks guys - all very helpful.

Yes - when I did my baster change, I turned the wheel back and forth - many times (maybe not quite 20) in between each change.

So I think this whole issue may be been a combination of 2 issues. Like I mentioned, the symptoms definitely improved after swapping the fluid, but it was only relatively better (aka moved from nondrivable to at least drivable) - but it didn't completely resolve the issue. Since my last post, I took it to the shop - where upon investigation we discovered the "knuckle" in the steering shaft was completely corroded and majorly bound up. So I probably need a fluid change anyway - but also needed to replace the knuckle.

The steering is like butter now. Like brand new.

So - there you go. I believe case closed, for now.

Now I'm on to trying to figure out why this G35 is only getting about 10 miles per gallon. Yikes. I think I mentioned it was given to us and not sure how recently it had a tune-up. I already replaced the air filter which seriously looked like it may have been the original - not good. I'm going to assume plugs and wires - maybe a tran fluid flush - might help...

Thanks again all - this site is awesome!

Brad

Last edited by bsn321; 11-20-2015 at 01:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ErikNYC (06-02-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Odd power steering stiffness