G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Close to the end with the G

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 09:30 AM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Close to the end with the G

Been a member on the forum for around 8 years. I haven't a super active poster but I usually chime in if I know someone else is having an issue that I've already dealt with.

I'm looking at moving on from the G35. It's been my first car out of college. Bought it used at a Mercedes dealership in GA and had it ever since. It's got close to 160K miles on it now; got it with 25K on the clock.

I'd like to keep it, but it's in need of a fair amount of maintenance at this point and i'm needing a larger vehicle since "house stuff" happens. One of problems in my town is that I have yet to find a decent mechanic in my town that is knowledgeable about Nissan/Infiniti except the dealership. I do my own oil changes/brakes/transmission drain n fill/etc. I can't do suspension work or engine work (except spark plugs).

In the past month or so I've been smelling oil burning and I quickly diagnosed it to be a valve cover gasket leak and the oil is leaking on to the exhaust. Looks like the oil cooler line is leaking a little too. I need all new bushings on everything suspension related and new shocks all around.

Cosmetically, it shows the wear and tear of a ten year old car. I had the dash crack like almost every 2006 sedan. I have a small tear in my back seat leather (which at this point needs to be completely redone color-wise). My rear top mount stop light works on and off depending on how hot it is outside.

I must admit this car has been extremely reliable except in one case where the engine stalled while I was going 40 mph coasting into stopped traffic. I managed pull into a gas station and a quick tow to the dealer and a new cam position sensor and it was good as new.

I'm looking at getting a mid size SUV. Looking at the 16 escape, santa fe sport turbo, edge, sorento, cx-5. I've got a lot of test driving to do, but I really do like to look of the santa fe sport.

Once I trade or sell the G, I'll probably have some leftovers people might be interested in. I'll have of extra front set of OEM sedan floor mats in grey (in really good condition) and the OEM premium trunk mat that is embroidered with G35 on it. I also have a rear brake rotor and pad set that I never got around to installing.

Old 12-22-2015, 10:46 AM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Good luck to you. I'm in the same boat myself. Bought my 2006 with less than 20K on the clock and it now has almost 166K miles. No major issues but the little stuff is picking at me. (no dash crack knock on wood)

Just bought a house and could use a truck. Real PITA borrowing a vehicle everytime I need to pick up some supplies for the latest project. Right now I need some interior doors...and renting the truck from HD is a PITA each time.

I'm looking at an Explorer or F150, but even used they are expensive

Old 12-22-2015, 12:51 PM
I like the explorer too. Cheap gas right now makes it look attractive. They are pricey though. Not looking to spend more than 32K on the next ride.

Old 12-22-2015, 08:43 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
cx5 is not a bad ride... your giving up some but in exchange your easily saving at the pump. I wouldn't say its a true SUV due to the size but obviously anything works better then our little sedans.

Ive considered getting a FX but this day an age getting less then 20mpg on anything but a sports car is just silly.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. Bought my g35 in 2004, and it's been a wonderful 12 or so years. But with another baby on the way, it's time to get a bigger vehicle.

I actually quite like the CX-5. Looks good, great gas mileage, and ample space for a small family. Good thing my wife and I both dislike minivans

Old 12-28-2015, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
Ive considered getting a FX but this day an age getting less then 20mpg on anything but a sports car is just silly.
Agreed.

I fi got a Ford Explorer, gas mileage might be better than the G35x

Old 12-31-2015, 07:20 AM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Agreed.

I fi got a Ford Explorer, gas mileage might be better than the G35x
Those crazy Ecoboost are getting similiar/better MPG. There are plenty of high factory HP cars that can put the MPG of the G35x to shame.

Hell i just got about from TX and was driving a little Accent around. Drove like 1200 miles and I was laughing at the cost.

Old 01-01-2016, 01:27 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
Those crazy Ecoboost are getting similiar/better MPG. There are plenty of high factory HP cars that can put the MPG of the G35x to shame.

Hell i just got about from TX and was driving a little Accent around. Drove like 1200 miles and I was laughing at the cost.
My G/F drives an accord. Everytime we go on a road trip, I laugh at how far we can drive for so little. Full tank of 87 octane at $1.89/gal lasts her 2 weeks or more. Trunk is bigger too...and the rear seats fold down!

We went to HD to pick up supplies for the house. I fit a 2x4 through the pass through in my car and that was about it, meanwhile I could fit a prehung door in her car.

Eh, I didn't buy my car for gas mileage though, so I shouldn't complain.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:47 AM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
I miss my old 02 Accent 5spd, best city car by far. Small and quick and still was getting 35+ mpg at 180k.
Now I have the G, smiles per gallon wins any day.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:51 PM
Well I ended up doing some end of the year shopping. I drove the escape, cx-5, and the santa fe sport all in one day.
CX-5 - no turbo really hurts it's acceleration. Aging infotainment versus other mazdas
Escape 2.0T ecoboost. - Actually a good amount of torque for city driving. Really narrow though and need to get the most expensive version to get HID lights. The Sync 3 system is nice and will get android auto by end of 2016
Santa fe sport - More sized like the Ford Edge with the price tag of a Escape. Driving performance similar to Escape. I liked the customization of the steering effort (Sport mode is G35 stiffness). The air conditioned seats will be great in the summer here in FL.

Ended up making a deal on the Santa Fe Sport (Dark grey with Black interior). Was able to get 5K for the G35 in it's condition and able to get the car below invoice and special financing.

One thing I though was odd is that I had the g35 appraised at each dealership and they all did about the same thing in looking it over. They started it to see if there were any codes stored and then just walked around it and ran the car fax. All the dealers made a big deal that I had two keys and the tires matched. None of them opened the hood or even drove it around. This was my first time trading a car so I don't know if that's typical or not.

I may pick up a g35/37 coupe in a couple of years. The car served me well and I think the styling will hold up for many years to come.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by miltoda
Been a member on the forum for around 8 years. I haven't a super active poster but I usually chime in if I know someone else is having an issue that I've already dealt with.

I'm looking at moving on from the G35. It's been my first car out of college. Bought it used at a Mercedes dealership in GA and had it ever since. It's got close to 160K miles on it now; got it with 25K on the clock.

I'd like to keep it, but it's in need of a fair amount of maintenance at this point and i'm needing a larger vehicle since "house stuff" happens. One of problems in my town is that I have yet to find a decent mechanic in my town that is knowledgeable about Nissan/Infiniti except the dealership. I do my own oil changes/brakes/transmission drain n fill/etc. I can't do suspension work or engine work (except spark plugs).

In the past month or so I've been smelling oil burning and I quickly diagnosed it to be a valve cover gasket leak and the oil is leaking on to the exhaust. Looks like the oil cooler line is leaking a little too. I need all new bushings on everything suspension related and new shocks all around.

Cosmetically, it shows the wear and tear of a ten year old car. I had the dash crack like almost every 2006 sedan. I have a small tear in my back seat leather (which at this point needs to be completely redone color-wise). My rear top mount stop light works on and off depending on how hot it is outside.

I must admit this car has been extremely reliable except in one case where the engine stalled while I was going 40 mph coasting into stopped traffic. I managed pull into a gas station and a quick tow to the dealer and a new cam position sensor and it was good as new.

I'm looking at getting a mid size SUV. Looking at the 16 escape, santa fe sport turbo, edge, sorento, cx-5. I've got a lot of test driving to do, but I really do like to look of the santa fe sport.

Once I trade or sell the G, I'll probably have some leftovers people might be interested in. I'll have of extra front set of OEM sedan floor mats in grey (in really good condition) and the OEM premium trunk mat that is embroidered with G35 on it. I also have a rear brake rotor and pad set that I never got around to installing.

I can definitely relate as these same problems happened on my 2006. Replaced valve covers, oil cooler o ring to stop oil leak (common problem), installed suspension components, leather/interior work and feel good about driving again. I struggle with wanting to buy a new car but probably still wouldn't bother selling the G with how little I would get for it. Both of our cars are paid for and I would rather continue driving my G and put that extra money into a nicer SUV for the wife. Maybe after we buy a new house I'll feel different but just doesn't make sense for how often I get dinged at the gym!

I'll take the floormats off you when the time comes if you do sell

Old 01-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by React
I can definitely relate as these same problems happened on my 2006. Replaced valve covers, oil cooler o ring to stop oil leak (common problem), installed suspension components, leather/interior work and feel good about driving again. I struggle with wanting to buy a new car but probably still wouldn't bother selling the G with how little I would get for it. Both of our cars are paid for and I would rather continue driving my G and put that extra money into a nicer SUV for the wife. Maybe after we buy a new house I'll feel different but just doesn't make sense for how often I get dinged at the gym!

I'll take the floormats off you when the time comes if you do sell
https://g35driver.com/forums/interio...ats-stone.html

Let me know what you think. I have my extra trunk mat on sale too. I bought it off a member here back in like 2008.