G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Problems/issues w/ G35 need some help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems/issues w/ G35 need some help

I have 2003 G35 6MT and I've been having some issues lately and I need some help please.

I have 34k miles and had the tranny replaced under warranty about 1k miles ago. Here are the issues that I have a problem understanding or getting fixed at Infiniti. Any help is much appreciated:

1. When I first start the car in the morning I get a chunk sound from the engine when it turns over. Only happens when it is a cold start (i.e. first time in the morning). Last week the car had a hard time starting. It was turning over but not firing up. It took about 20-30 seconds to actually start.

2. Above 4500k rpm the engine gets really rough and creates a vibration throughout the car. I don't remember it being like that when new.

3. Squeaky brakes. I had the rotors and pads replaced under warranty, but I still get A LOT of break squeal when coming to a complete stop. It's really loud and annoying.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andrew

Old 02-27-2005, 10:48 PM
- If the cold start problem is only during low temperatures, there is a TSB for it. Look up the TSB search page for more info. The dealer will be more than happy to do this for you if you state it is only during cold temp starts.
- If the vibration is strictly above 4500 RPM irrespective of which gear you are in, then the problem is something to do with the engine. My 6mt sedan does that too, but it vibrates heavily throughout all RPMs when cold. After warm-up it is a lot smoother throughout.
- Squeaky brakes, the dealer told me that the noise is normal as our brakes are high-performance ones and that they throw out lot of dust which makes noise.

Just my 2 cents. By the way, do you live in the Indy area, i do.. so am curious (abt which dealer u go to, your experience etc.,).

Old 02-28-2005, 06:44 AM
prabhacar, What the dealer told you about hte squeeling is a bunch of bull. I used to design brakes for Ford and there are two main contributors to squeel. 1) vibration between the pad and the caliper - this can be the case if the dealer or manufacturer does not have a 3M type vinyl material on the back of the pad, you can add this yourself if its missing. 2) using heavy metalic pads -- the heavy metalic in the pads lasts longer than stock but makes horrible squeeking sounds, especially when wet.

Best thing you can do is buy ceramic coated rotors and buy pads designed to work with that type of rotor. You get almost zero squeek and minimal brake dust.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the responses.

- It's not just when it is cold out that it does makes the clunk sound. It's just a cold start (not outside temp).

- Yea, the engine vibration happens above 4,500 rpm. I thought the engine was just rough and didn't like to be revved, but I'm thinking it's something else.

- I've heard that about the brakes from the dealer: "They're high-performance brakes so they will squeal." I wasn't sure if I was the only one.

Andrew

Old 02-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by prabhacar
By the way, do you live in the Indy area, i do.. so am curious (abt which dealer u go to, your experience etc.,).
I live in Fishers (north-east side of Indy). I take it to Dreyer & Reinbold Infiniti since they are the only game in town. I didn't purchase the car there though.

They have been very helpful and have gone the extra mile to get things right. I just want to have an idea of where to point them when I go back.

Andrew

Old 03-01-2005, 12:23 AM
I complained to my dealer about my squeaky brakes b/c after 7500miles it was getting really embarrassing. They replaced the rotors for free and the problem went away. Its been 4 months now, not a sqeak.

I think there's a TSB out on brakes.

Old 03-01-2005, 10:20 AM
There is a TSB and they replaced the pads and rotors. I'm still getting a lot of sqeal. I asked about the pad compound and they told me it was the same as what was originally on the car. Does anyone know if that is correct?

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 03-17-2005, 12:46 AM
Wht is TSB

May be a dumb question

Old 03-17-2005, 12:55 AM
i'm not sure what tsb is, but yeh, i know there really isn't much u can do about the brake noise. high performance brakes tend to squeak a lot, especially when it's cold. once the brakes are somewhat warm, the noise should be less noticeable.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:13 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin.

I don't buy the "high performance brakes are squeeky" argument. That's a load of BS the dealers feed us to make us go away. What dcreigh said about the brakes is right on the money. My guess is the dealer replaced your pads with ones that have a higher metallic content, which in turn is causing the noise.

Old 03-18-2005, 12:36 AM
Thnxs for the explanation of TSB