G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

04 G35 Xenon headlight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 G35 Xenon headlight

Hey all, so I have searched forever for the straight answer on this. I have an 04 g35 sedan with the xenon headlights (stock). I know (or am at least pretty sure) that aftermarket halogen headlight assemblies physically fit but every website states that they are not compatible with cars the have stock xenon. Now my question is why it this? Is it the plug? It would have to be different plugs right? I am not talking about bulbs i talking about full headlight assemblies. All the good looking "fancy" ones are halogens. I can get the assembly and convert them to HID but that is besides the point. Why wont halogen assemblies work with car that come with stock xenon? Different plug? If so can, is there a way to go around this. Adapter? If it is the same plug, what makes them incompatible? Thanks in advance and sorry id thus question has been asked and answered already, I have searched quute a but for it.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
So those aftermarket ones use halogen reflectors or chinesium quality projectors with halogens inside. They are not HID ready because the design was not done for them to reflect HID properly.

Only HID ready reflectors would work in your scenario, since you've already got factory HID. So keep your eyes open, or just swap the front lenses from the other kits so you have the best of both worlds. Oem headlight reflection and a brand new clear lens.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:45 PM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Why would you want to swap to the inferior lumen output of halogens?

Old 05-05-2017, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
So those aftermarket ones use halogen reflectors or chinesium quality projectors with halogens inside. They are not HID ready because the design was not done for them to reflect HID properly.

Only HID ready reflectors would work in your scenario, since you've already got factory HID. So keep your eyes open, or just swap the front lenses from the other kits so you have the best of both worlds. Oem headlight reflection and a brand new clear lens.
Okay thank you for the response, but lets just say, all i want is looks (not entirely the case) forget the bulbs and lenses for a second, will the headlight assembly and plug (physical parts) all fit. Again disregard what is better and whether or not the bulbs will project properly (like if i put hid inside a halogen lens) , will a halogen headlight fit, plug in, and work properly if my wiring(plug and spot for headlight itself) is a stock xenon?

Old 05-05-2017, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by Scottwax
Why would you want to swap to the inferior lumen output of halogens?
i dont, i currently have aftermarket headlights and put an hid kit in them. They look exactly like stock except the inside is black instead of chrome giving me an aggressive look. Its just that most halogen headlights (not bulbs) look better. Like they have cool designs and LEDs and stuff, they just look better. Performance wise, yah they dont compare but i was going to put HIDs in them, but i was just told it wouldnt reflect properly. Now i pretty much cant do it but am still curious as to whether or not it would physically work.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Usually a bulb trimming is required at least. For example if it is a D2R bulb it will fit in a D2S housing with minor modification.

The issue is then, you have low light spots and you have high lighted spots. So your vision is lost. Maybe you shouldn't be so caught up in the look? And if you are - just do it right. If it's the wrong bulb it likely glares other drivers.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:00 AM
Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts
6 speed G35 sedan
Aftermarket headlights almost always have terrible light output. They are designed for looks first, ability to see at night a distant second. Best option is always proper retrofitting the OEM headlights for projectors in our case.

Old 05-06-2017, 02:27 AM
Okay thanks guys, appreciate the responses!

Old 05-06-2017, 09:25 AM
Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Retrofitting is the way to go.
Name:  20160906_151640.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  299.6 KB

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.