G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Looking for some answers.

Old 06-29-2017, 03:55 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking for some answers.

Hey so I got my 05 G35x 5AT about a year ago with 113k miles on it now has 130k. I never done a transmission fluid flush/change and I dont think the previous owners changed it either. Ive read online that if you go past 100k u shouldnt change the fluid or else it'll cause damage? I drive using the 'Fake Manual' most of the time and shifting up doesnt feel bad at all no grinding sounds nor jerky/hesitation. Could yall give me some feedback and opinions on this?

Also im tryin buy a oil catch can. Does the size of the ports matter? Whats your opinion with a closed one vs. a vented breather one? My goal is to pay under $100 ifor all the parts including the hoses/clamps etc. If anyone wants to send me links or suggestions on what to buy that'll be helpful thank you!

Old 06-29-2017, 07:50 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Common wisdom for the trans fluid is to either leave it alone or just do a couple of "drain and fills". Drain and fill entails draining the fluid out of the pan and replacing it, usually 3.5-4 qts. Under no circumstances have someone perform a flush and only use Nissan Matic J (older version) or Matic S (newest version) transmission fluid. Your transmission accumulates tiny metal particles that help fill gaps where wear occurs and flushing them may/can cause slippage on higher mileage transmissions.

Catch cans really don't do a lot, vented or sealed, but if you want one they can be found relatively cheaply all over the internet. I have the NRG one and fabricated a spot on top of the radiator fan shroud to mount it.

Show more

Last edited by Blue Dream; 06-29-2017 at 07:55 AM. Reason: added pic
Old 06-29-2017, 09:06 AM
Thanks ill probably just leave my transmission alone then.. and thats a nice set up I like your coolant / PS reservoirs. For the catch cans am I looking for ones that use -8an only? What type of hoses would I need? If you can send me a link of the fittings etc. that'll be nice
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
Common wisdom for the trans fluid is to either leave it alone or just do a couple of "drain and fills". Drain and fill entails draining the fluid out of the pan and replacing it, usually 3.5-4 qts. Under no circumstances have someone perform a flush and only use Nissan Matic J (older version) or Matic S (newest version) transmission fluid. Your transmission accumulates tiny metal particles that help fill gaps where wear occurs and flushing them may/can cause slippage on higher mileage transmissions.

Catch cans really don't do a lot, vented or sealed, but if you want one they can be found relatively cheaply all over the internet. I have the NRG one and fabricated a spot on top of the radiator fan shroud to mount it.

Show more

Old 06-29-2017, 05:25 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
TBH I don't remember the size of the hoses I bought. Didn't use fittings, just made clean cuts in the braided hoses and popped them onto the 4 connecting spots with clamps. The tanks are still available from SxExCx I believe.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Thanks for the help man!

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (06-30-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Received 98 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Dream

Show more
engine bay looking clean Tim, LS painted battery/brake fluid covers and radiator support would really set it off, i just got an estimate the other day to paint my rad support, $250 for just paint (obsidian black) $450 if i wanna shave all the holes

Old 07-12-2017, 01:14 PM
Hey another question. I got some new tires, did an alignment. They said that my rear camber bolts were seized. How serious is the issue if my rear toe/cambers are good? If I were to replace them would I have to get new control arms aswell? My suspension is stock.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
I hate that these bolts get seized up. It depends where it is seized up.

Kroil/Liquid Wrench/WD-40 makes short work of salt rusted bolts up here in the great white north - just a bitch to get to.

The subframe one you really have to be careful with, naturally.

Good luck.

Old 07-20-2017, 03:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I see that majority of people are using the 2 port oil catch cans on here. Anyone cap off the intake and run the driver side valve cover vent to the catch can?

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.