G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Aftermarket ballast installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket ballast installation

So I'm trying to figure out what all I will need to install the Hylux 2a88 CANBUS 35w ballast on my 05 g35 sedan with hid stock headlights. I don't want to have to cut any of my wires if there is anyway around it. I can't seem to find any real how to's specifically for my headlights. I just restored both headlights, and while I have them out I want to replace the ballasts with Hylux, because both are bad and I don't want a cheap oe ballast or want a used oem's that could go out next week. I'm also not trying to spend 180 on two new oem ballasts. The question I have is, will the Hylux 2a88 canbus ballast plug directly up to the cable that is on the headlight or is there a wiring kit that I need to get? And if so, what is it and where can I find it? I'm pretty much set on switching to the Hylux with some morimoto d2r 5500k bulbs but any information would be helpful.

Old 07-15-2017, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,016 Likes on 935 Posts
Glad you took a lot of my advice. I would either recommend cutting and splicing new connectors for the new ballast or buying OE connectors from a supplier (rock auto? I don't know to be honest).

I would leave the stock ballasts on to keep the headlight sealed up, and run new connectors through the fog light area for the hylux. You can always call Caesar at Lightwerkz for some advice if you want a professionals advice!

Old 07-16-2017, 02:43 PM
Yeah, like I said I really appreciate it man. Yeah I was thinking about leaving the ballast in the original place, but actually taking it apart and using the little hole it has for the old igniter plug to run my cables through, then silicone to seal it. I don't have the head lights on me, but how would you run the cable through the fog light area? I'm guessing from memory trying to use the hole that the other cables are ran through, but would you have to drill it out more or cut the wires so they slide through without the connector and then reattach them?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Look up cable glands. Lots of professionals recently started using cable glands for waterproof connections.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:20 PM
This is how I ended up installing my Hylux 35w ballasts.
I'm starting this with the bumper and headlights already removed. First I took off the air intake

This is behind the little air box that drops down off the intake.

Then I put the intake back on.
This is on the right hand side. I had to take the windshield wiper reservoir off to get in there.
Then put it all back together. I forgot to take pictures but I ran my cables for the new igniter through the lower light cap using grommets I had around the house. I had to convert the connector from the old ballast to a 9006 connector by splicing and soldering them back together.
It pretty easy after I started it but I was kind of nervous at first. Maybe this will help someone later.
Again thanks to Urbanengineer for the advice the Hylux ballast and morimoto 5500k bulbs were exactly what I was wanting for it.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 05:57 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Urban for another well deserved win!!

OP glad you got it all figured out and you're happy with the results.

Old 08-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Glad it all worked out. Quality products with good output. Good warranty too!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.