G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

AC blows through outside vents but NOT inside ones

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 03:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry AC blows through outside vents but NOT inside ones

2006 Sedan. Basically as the title suggest. My outside fans (inside the car) seem to blow air through just fine but the inner vents (closer to the center console) don't seem to NOT blow any air at all. How can I fix this? The car does eventually cool down with the two outside vents going but it definitely takes a lot longer in the Florida heat where I live.

I also have the dreaded/clicking ticking noise when I turn off the AC which has me thinking I'll have to take the car to the Infinity dealer and face a very expensive repair. After doing a search around here it seems I may have a problem with my compressor clutch.

Any help or insight you guys can provide will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-21-2017, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 196 Likes on 177 Posts
Front and rear cameras, tire pressure for all four tires can display on screen,folding side view mir
You didn't search hard enough!

Read the FSM

http://www.nicoclub.com/service-manu..._G35_Sedan/atc

MODE SWITCH
The air discharge outlets is controlled by this switch.
When air outlet switches to D/F or DEF position, compressor will turn ON and fixed to FRE mod

Fail-safe Function
NJS0005K
If a communication error exists between display and A/C auto amp. and A/C and audio controller for 30 sec-
onds or longer, air conditioner is controlled under the following conditions:
Compressor : ON
Air outlet : AUTO
Air inlet: FRE (Fresh)
Blower fan speed : AUTO
Set temperature : Setting before communication error occur

See page ATC-72

System Operation
The display and A/C auto amp. receives data from each of the sensors. The display and A/C auto amp. sends
air mix door, mode door and intake door opening angle data to the air mix door motor LCUs, mode door motor
LCU and intake door motor LCU.
The air mix door motors, mode door motor and intake door motor read their respective signals according to the
address signal. Opening angle indication signals received from the display and A/C auto amp. and each of the
motor position sensors are compared by the LCUs in each door motor with the existing decision and opening
angles. Subsequently, HOT/COLD, DEF/VENT and FRE/REC operation is selected. The new selection data
are returned to the display and A/C auto amp

COMPONENT DESCRIPTION
Air Mix Door Motor
The air mix door motors are attached to the heater & cooling unit
assembly. It rotates so that the air mix door is opened or closed to a
position set by the display and A/C auto amp. Motor rotation is then
sent conveyed through a shaft and the air mix door position feed-
back is then sent to the display and A/C auto amp. by PBR built-in air
mix door motor.

See page ATC-64

You may need to get out your oscilloscope to check the output of the AC Auto Amp?

Good luck

Telcoman

Last edited by telcoman; 08-21-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:30 AM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Take off the glove box door, remove the cabin air filter and use a flashlight and inspection mirror to look up inside the duct work to ensure there are no obstructions. I had this issue as well as the cover for the positive battery terminal had fallen off the battery into the fresh air damper hole and was stopping the flap from closing and making that annoying CLICKING sound.

FSM has full troubleshooting steps for the mode door control system but if you have an aftermarket stereo you won't be able to access the diagnostic mode for the AC controller, not a huge deal, you can work around it because the CLICKING sound means something is broken or mechanically obstructed.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:06 AM
Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Probably a mode door actuator or something stuck. I believe they have plastic gears that can/will strip. I learned that the ac system is not that complex after swapping dashes. Both these gents above me certainly know what they're talking about

Old 08-21-2017, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll take a closer look as soon as I get a chance and follow your advice. I'm pretty mechanically inclined as a certified motorcycle tech but for the most part those things don't have HVAC systems! The last thing I want to do is drive the car into the dealership but I will if I absolutely have to.

Any additional tips will be appreciated.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you do end up going to a dealership make it the NISSAN dealership not the INFINITI one. Cheaper and you get the same qualified techs working on your vehicle.

The following users liked this post:
$Carnage$ (08-23-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.