G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Mid pipe welding?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 03:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mid pipe welding?

Hello all!

Im completely new to any car forum and this G35 (2003) is my first car. I'm 16.

I have an interest for mechanical things and I've taken parts of my car apart multiple times to figure out how it works so the car isn't a complete stranger to me.
Ultimately, I'm trying to make the car sound unique and look unique without making it a ricer. I really want to appreciate this car and build on it to make it my dream car.

Anyways to get straight to the point, I've looked at various parts I can put on the car and I really like the sound of catbacks but I have a super limited job at Walgreens and that's not very affordable. I decided to settle with an OEM Coupe midpipe or a walker midpipe. The only place I can find them is on Craigslist and there's only one ad for one.

Is is there any place I can find online that sells them?
Ive tried searching on the forum but I haven't found much.

I wanted to try to see if I could get a price range of what it would cost to cut and weld it on so I called the nearest auto welder, known around here for making exhausts what the customers want.

I called and he basically told me that I'd need to tell him exactly what I want and what and how I'd want him to do it. Basically, as long as I know what I want and what the car to sound like, he would do it.

By everyone who's gotten their exhaust welded and cut, they all point to him but I'm not sure what to specifically ask for. Can anyone help?

Im looking for a deeper and true sound.

Also, my dad works at Atlantic Infiniti. He's telling me that adding parts like a cold air intake, painting the car and the exhaust lowers the car value so when I try to trade it in when I have enough money to afford the insurance of a coupe, "it would be worth less."
Is this true?

This is my first car and obviously I won't have it forever but I'd really like to build it up to how I like it.
Id like to reprint the car diamond graphite and repaint the wheels, but should I do any of that if I'm going to get another G in any time between 2-4 years?
If any of my questions seem stupid, please have some patience with me.

Thank you!

Warm regards,
Justin

Old 09-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,018 Likes on 936 Posts
Non-stock cars don't sell well because what could go wrong? Exhaust modifications that are from known companies may increase the value a few hundred, but not a few thousand that a popular exhaust costs.

I almost removed the resonator from my Accord back when I was in HS because I thought it would sound better. Good thing someone did before me on YouTube, not good lol.

Your dads advice is pretty solid. Cold air intakes just don't work on this car (factory air intake is nice) for power and many people really over oil their filters in their cars. I'd avoid that.

Your G sounds like a G sedan. That's already pretty rare. I miss mine, but I guess the FX35 Is the VQ35 that sounds best (unfair).

I'd just keep it stock and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with painting the wheels.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Urbanengineer
Non-stock cars don't sell well because what could go wrong? Exhaust modifications that are from known companies may increase the value a few hundred, but not a few thousand that a popular exhaust costs.

I almost removed the resonator from my Accord back when I was in HS because I thought it would sound better. Good thing someone did before me on YouTube, not good lol.

Your dads advice is pretty solid. Cold air intakes just don't work on this car (factory air intake is nice) for power and many people really over oil their filters in their cars. I'd avoid that.

Your G sounds like a G sedan. That's already pretty rare. I miss mine, but I guess the FX35 Is the VQ35 that sounds best (unfair).

I'd just keep it stock and enjoy it. Nothing wrong with painting the wheels.

thank you very much! So in short, don't do anything to the exhaust and appreciate it for what it is and what I have and wait until I can trade it for a coupe?

Old 09-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
You can order parts from RockAuto.com usually a lot cheaper than you can find anywhere. Except used parts and stuff like that.

You'd want it to "sleeved". Which, basically means they put a piece of metal over both pieces of pipe and then weld the ends.

I've paid about 150 bucks to have sleeve put on my car at Midas. It's probably a little overpriced, but that's what you get for something fast. Usually, you get sleeves put on when the exhaust has rotted a lot or it's too short.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:48 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
If you're planning on getting a coupe in the near future just try to keep the sedan as stock as possible and only invest into it what is needed (repairs). That way you aren't essentially "wasting" money on a vehicle you plan on getting rid of. Spending money on exterior maintenance (clean/wax/clay/sealant/etc) is money well spent if the exterior is in good condition, that way it won't be all sunburned in a few years when you decide to get rid of it.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:52 PM
That sounds like a super great idea. I'll do that!! No mods until I can get the coupe. Thank you!!

Old 09-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Justin Boothe
That sounds like a super great idea. I'll do that!! No mods until I can get the coupe. Thank you!!
Justin, your Dad nailed it! Even when you get a coupe modifications will lower the value when it comes time to sell it. Spend your $$ on maintenance and exterior beauty. Wish someone had told be this fact years ago, but I wouldn't have listened...as you can see!
Gary

Old 09-12-2017, 07:20 PM
Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
If you're going to play the used part / craigslist hunting game, you gotta be patient. Wait for a G35 coupe midpipe and G37/370z y-pipe to pop up for a price you're willing to pay (I'd pay~ $60 max for the mid pipe and ~$80 for the y-pipe) and again, be patient. In the mean time, don't cut or weld anything up, many of us have tried it (myself included), and few have been happy with it. There's examples all over youtube, and the end result is never as good as a well engineered solution from a reputable manufacturer.

Alternatively, a extremely budget minded exhaust-sound-enhancer is as simple as a stack of washers installed between the mid-pipe and the muffler. In terms of sound, it's a little on the ricier side, but it's easily reversible so you can guess and check what sounds good to you, you retain a fully stock exhaust, and when all is said and done you get a little beefier sound without causing too much drone on the highway.

Good luck, welcome to the site, and happy (and safe) driving!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.