G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion

G35Driver - Infiniti G35 & G37 Forum Discussion (https://g35driver.com/forums/)
-   G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06-15/)
-   -   Muffler delete? (https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v35-2003-06/466951-muffler-delete.html)

Ichiglo_ 06-16-2019 09:05 PM

Muffler delete?

I’m considering getting a muffler delete on my 04 sedan due to the reason that sedan guys don’t have much options for aftermarket exhaust systems.I really wanted a tomei but don’t really want to deal with buying extensions and trying to get it to fit and also trying to find a muffler shop who’s willing to do it.My previous 03 sedan had z1 single exit that sounded amazing but started to leak due to crappy welds.Anyways I’m planning to run a hr y pipe along with a coupe midpipe and a 1320 blast pipe tip.Has anyone ran a setup similar to this?
edit:does anyone know any good muffler shops around Illinois/Chicago area

eazdaskeez 06-16-2019 10:02 PM

It'll be loud, it'll drone, it'll sound good (debatable). I had a delete on my last g35 and it got old quick. The drone is what made me remove it.

I just recently did a muffler delete (sort of) on my hr and I have to say that being able to go to quiet and go back to loud when I want is the best decision. I'm using manual cutouts and I have them positioned right before the mufflers so I can just reach down and remove the plate to be loud or put it back on when I'm tired of it.

Quick tip, if you go this route have the shop weld the bolts to the cutout. Makes things alot easier when you have to remove the plate.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...028e869ec8.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/g35driv...ebcaac82b3.jpg

scumbagsleeper 06-17-2019 11:48 AM

I had a 350z in front of me a couple weeks ago that had a straight out setup. Good lord that thing was loud wide open. It's definitely gonna be a cop magnet without a muffler. I have a 3.5" Y cutout on my 6.2l turbo Mustang like the one pictured above, it works pretty good for track days.

gary c 06-17-2019 07:30 PM

Muffler delete is nothing more than a terrible sounding cheap ghetto mod! Pipe welding done right should last for years, find that quality muffler shop and do what you knows works best...Gary

kelman81 06-18-2019 08:27 AM

Deleting mufflers on a VQ motor gives us all a bad rap. It is one of the more obnoxious sounding engines with a straight pipe or bad exhaust.

Scotto 06-18-2019 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Ichiglo_ (Post 7170295)
I’m considering getting a muffler delete on my 04 sedan due to the reason that sedan guys don’t have much options for aftermarket exhaust systems.I really wanted a tomei but don’t really want to deal with buying extensions and trying to get it to fit and also trying to find a muffler shop who’s willing to do it.My previous 03 sedan had z1 single exit that sounded amazing but started to leak due to crappy welds.Anyways I’m planning to run a hr y pipe along with a coupe midpipe and a 1320 blast pipe tip.Has anyone ran a setup similar to this?
edit:does anyone know any good muffler shops around Illinois/Chicago area

I'm selling a used HKS muffler for sedans, reasonable priced :hello:

But yea, don't run a straight pipe, lol

Ichiglo_ 06-18-2019 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by gary c (Post 7170377)
Muffler delete is nothing more than a terrible sounding cheap ghetto mod! Pipe welding done right should last for years, find that quality muffler shop and do what you knows works best...Gary

Yea I was also debating to buy a manzo CBE that is a straight bolt on

Ichiglo_ 06-18-2019 03:50 PM

Well if I put a HR y pipe along with a coupe midpipe and a muffler is it still considered a muffler delete or custom exhaust? Haha

kelman81 06-18-2019 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ichiglo_ (Post 7170439)
Well if I put a HR y pipe along with a coupe midpipe and a muffler is it still considered a muffler delete or custom exhaust? Haha

Now that you are planning to install a muffler as ofthis post.... no, no longer a muffler delete if you plan to install a muffler......

Ichiglo_ 06-18-2019 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by kelman81 (Post 7170440)
Now that you are planning to install a muffler as ofthis post.... no, no longer a muffler delete if you plan to install a muffler......

But it’ll be a muffler tip not an actual muffler

kelman81 06-18-2019 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ichiglo_ (Post 7170441)
But it’ll be a muffler tip not an actual muffler

A muffler tip is not a muffler. You just said muffler. Better hope every cop you meet is deaf.

Scottwax 06-21-2019 04:15 PM

The Megan exhaust for the sedan is pretty good, 3" all the way through. Some drone with Art Pipes/Megan at 2500 rpm but it isn't deafening. You can still have a conversation without raising your voice. I think I paid little over $500 for the mid-section and muffler combined. Not super cheap but less expensive than having a muffler shop build you a system with 3" mandrel bent pipe.

Ichiglo_ 06-23-2019 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax (Post 7170691)
The Megan exhaust for the sedan is pretty good, 3" all the way through. Some drone with Art Pipes/Megan at 2500 rpm but it isn't deafening. You can still have a conversation without raising your voice. I think I paid little over $500 for the mid-section and muffler combined. Not super cheap but less expensive than having a muffler shop build you a system with 3" mandrel bent pipe.

Do you mean the Megan RS exhaust? I’ve seen it and it’s pretty cheap on fr sport but I’m not a big fan of the dual tip style muffler.Im leaning toward the manzo exhaust because of the single exit style muffler that I know and love.Kinda reminiscent of a tomei or z1 Motorsport exhaust that I use to have.

Ichiglo_ 06-23-2019 10:57 PM

Just found out z1 sells the muffler only for about $190 I will be purchasing that along with my hr y pipe and coupe mid pipe! My mind is set thank you guys screw the muffler delete

Scottwax 06-24-2019 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Ichiglo_ (Post 7170817)
Do you mean the Megan RS exhaust? I’ve seen it and it’s pretty cheap on fr sport but I’m not a big fan of the dual tip style muffler.Im leaning toward the manzo exhaust because of the single exit style muffler that I know and love.Kinda reminiscent of a tomei or z1 Motorsport exhaust that I use to have.

I had a single tip on it before but the dual tips fill out the factory cut out in the bumper better. Plus with the muffler itself painted black it looks more stock. I prefer more of a sleeper look. But luckily there are options for whichever version you prefer.