G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Muffler delete?

  #1  
Old 06-16-2019, 09:05 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 232
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Muffler delete?

Iím considering getting a muffler delete on my 04 sedan due to the reason that sedan guys donít have much options for aftermarket exhaust systems.I really wanted a tomei but donít really want to deal with buying extensions and trying to get it to fit and also trying to find a muffler shop whoís willing to do it.My previous 03 sedan had z1 single exit that sounded amazing but started to leak due to crappy welds.Anyways Iím planning to run a hr y pipe along with a coupe midpipe and a 1320 blast pipe tip.Has anyone ran a setup similar to this?
edit:does anyone know any good muffler shops around Illinois/Chicago area
 

Last edited by Ichiglo_; 06-16-2019 at 09:09 PM.
  #2  
Old 06-16-2019, 10:02 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 756
Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
It'll be loud, it'll drone, it'll sound good (debatable). I had a delete on my last g35 and it got old quick. The drone is what made me remove it.

I just recently did a muffler delete (sort of) on my hr and I have to say that being able to go to quiet and go back to loud when I want is the best decision. I'm using manual cutouts and I have them positioned right before the mufflers so I can just reach down and remove the plate to be loud or put it back on when I'm tired of it.

Quick tip, if you go this route have the shop weld the bolts to the cutout. Makes things alot easier when you have to remove the plate.



 
  #3  
Old 06-17-2019, 11:48 AM
Registered User
iTrader: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Springfield, Mo
Posts: 263
Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
1990 Mustang GT - 351W Lightning bored/stroked 383CI TFS heads 78mm Turbonetics huricane
I had a 350z in front of me a couple weeks ago that had a straight out setup. Good lord that thing was loud wide open. It's definitely gonna be a cop magnet without a muffler. I have a 3.5" Y cutout on my 6.2l turbo Mustang like the one pictured above, it works pretty good for track days.
 
  #4  
Old 06-17-2019, 07:30 PM
gary c's Avatar
SLICK
iTrader: (10)
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 19,399
Received 1,106 Likes on 983 Posts
Muffler delete is nothing more than a terrible sounding cheap ghetto mod! Pipe welding done right should last for years, find that quality muffler shop and do what you knows works best...Gary
 
The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (06-21-2019)
  #5  
Old 06-18-2019, 08:27 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: East TN
Posts: 85
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
04 G35 Sedan Base
Deleting mufflers on a VQ motor gives us all a bad rap. It is one of the more obnoxious sounding engines with a straight pipe or bad exhaust.
 
The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (06-21-2019)
  #6  
Old 06-18-2019, 09:54 AM
Registered User
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 11
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 G35 Sedan 6MT - LS Swapped
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_ View Post
Iím considering getting a muffler delete on my 04 sedan due to the reason that sedan guys donít have much options for aftermarket exhaust systems.I really wanted a tomei but donít really want to deal with buying extensions and trying to get it to fit and also trying to find a muffler shop whoís willing to do it.My previous 03 sedan had z1 single exit that sounded amazing but started to leak due to crappy welds.Anyways Iím planning to run a hr y pipe along with a coupe midpipe and a 1320 blast pipe tip.Has anyone ran a setup similar to this?
edit:does anyone know any good muffler shops around Illinois/Chicago area
I'm selling a used HKS muffler for sedans, reasonable priced

But yea, don't run a straight pipe, lol
 
  #7  
Old 06-18-2019, 12:48 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 232
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c View Post
Muffler delete is nothing more than a terrible sounding cheap ghetto mod! Pipe welding done right should last for years, find that quality muffler shop and do what you knows works best...Gary
Yea I was also debating to buy a manzo CBE that is a straight bolt on
 
  #8  
Old 06-18-2019, 03:50 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 232
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well if I put a HR y pipe along with a coupe midpipe and a muffler is it still considered a muffler delete or custom exhaust? Haha
 
  #9  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:07 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: East TN
Posts: 85
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
04 G35 Sedan Base
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_ View Post
Well if I put a HR y pipe along with a coupe midpipe and a muffler is it still considered a muffler delete or custom exhaust? Haha
Now that you are planning to install a muffler as ofthis post.... no, no longer a muffler delete if you plan to install a muffler......
 
  #10  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:12 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 232
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kelman81 View Post
Now that you are planning to install a muffler as ofthis post.... no, no longer a muffler delete if you plan to install a muffler......
But itíll be a muffler tip not an actual muffler
 
  #11  
Old 06-18-2019, 04:23 PM
Registered User
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: East TN
Posts: 85
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
04 G35 Sedan Base
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_ View Post
But itíll be a muffler tip not an actual muffler
A muffler tip is not a muffler. You just said muffler. Better hope every cop you meet is deaf.
 

Last edited by kelman81; 06-18-2019 at 04:43 PM.
  #12  
Old 06-21-2019, 04:15 PM
Premier Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 757
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
The Megan exhaust for the sedan is pretty good, 3" all the way through. Some drone with Art Pipes/Megan at 2500 rpm but it isn't deafening. You can still have a conversation without raising your voice. I think I paid little over $500 for the mid-section and muffler combined. Not super cheap but less expensive than having a muffler shop build you a system with 3" mandrel bent pipe.
 
  #13  
Old 06-23-2019, 10:09 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 232
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottwax View Post
The Megan exhaust for the sedan is pretty good, 3" all the way through. Some drone with Art Pipes/Megan at 2500 rpm but it isn't deafening. You can still have a conversation without raising your voice. I think I paid little over $500 for the mid-section and muffler combined. Not super cheap but less expensive than having a muffler shop build you a system with 3" mandrel bent pipe.
Do you mean the Megan RS exhaust? Iíve seen it and itís pretty cheap on fr sport but Iím not a big fan of the dual tip style muffler.Im leaning toward the manzo exhaust because of the single exit style muffler that I know and love.Kinda reminiscent of a tomei or z1 Motorsport exhaust that I use to have.
 
  #14  
Old 06-23-2019, 10:57 PM
Registered User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 232
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just found out z1 sells the muffler only for about $190 I will be purchasing that along with my hr y pipe and coupe mid pipe! My mind is set thank you guys screw the muffler delete
 
The following users liked this post:
Scottwax (06-24-2019)
  #15  
Old 06-24-2019, 02:44 PM
Premier Member
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 757
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Ichiglo_ View Post
Do you mean the Megan RS exhaust? Iíve seen it and itís pretty cheap on fr sport but Iím not a big fan of the dual tip style muffler.Im leaning toward the manzo exhaust because of the single exit style muffler that I know and love.Kinda reminiscent of a tomei or z1 Motorsport exhaust that I use to have.
I had a single tip on it before but the dual tips fill out the factory cut out in the bumper better. Plus with the muffler itself painted black it looks more stock. I prefer more of a sleeper look. But luckily there are options for whichever version you prefer.
 
The following users liked this post:
[email protected] (06-24-2019)
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Hypez
Engine - Exhaust
0
06-27-2015 09:10 PM
Calvin
Interior
32
01-30-2010 08:51 PM
fxfireball
The FX-Spot
0
09-25-2008 10:24 PM
MixturePinoy
Intake & Exhaust
7
12-29-2007 06:37 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Muffler delete?


Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: