G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Once and For All... Clicking when windows up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Once and For All... Clicking when windows up?

OK, It's gotta stop, RIGHT NOW. (well, this weekend.)

When my windows are COMPLETELY UP (if I nudge them down to where they're not even open, but not up as far as they'll go, I don't get this problem) I hear constant clicking from BOTH passenger and driver's door. WHAT IN THE ****!

It's driving me insane. Is this something I can fix myself? I'm hoping it's like, a loose screw on the window regulators or something or somewhere I can apply some felt or something. If I don't fix this I swear I'm going to drive off a bridge somewhere.

Anyone have any tips?

Old 04-01-2005, 01:18 PM
...Just FYI I've examined this for a while and it appears to be something in the door vs window seals or something else but I 'm not 100%

Old 04-01-2005, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem seems to be close tolerances of the regulator components within the door itself. Mine is more noticeable when it is warmer weather due to expansion of the metal.

A few owners have installed foam padding in the door where the components are close to the door panel itself.

The TSB issued by Infiniti was meant to cure this problem to some degree but a few owners have done the TSB themselves with better success.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:03 PM
Look to see if the glass has somehow worn through the flocking. If the flocking is damaged, it could make this noise. If it is, it should be under waranty and is an easy fix. If not, it could be the window track where the glass runs on, if not properly adjusted, it will allow the glass to travel too far up the seal and rub against areas it was not designed to. Hope this helps .

Old 04-01-2005, 03:29 PM
I have had this problem fixed atleast 5 times!!! It's good for a while and eventually comes back. I have just learned to live with the fuc king noise.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by dcreigh1
Look to see if the glass has somehow worn through the flocking.
What the flocking hell is "flocking"? I want to check but I don't know what it is.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far. I WILL be solving it this weekend. If it means I have to stop my windows from working and glue them shut, then so be it, but there will be no more noise. That I promise you.

Old 04-01-2005, 03:51 PM
There's a post, probably close to a year ago, with photos for DIY fix of this creaking problem.

Good luck!

Old 04-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks BbyG35... I did do a pretty thorough search and although I found many mentions of it I never did find a solution. You don't happen to remember the name of the thread or anything do you? Maybe the author or even the people who posted in it? Any of those might help me to track it down...

Thanks!

Old 04-01-2005, 04:55 PM
I believe it was a scanned copy of a TSB that was posted with some additional instructions.

I see from past posts that you have been battling this one for a while. Did the foam tape not help??

Old 04-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Nothing so far has helped... the only thing left which I haven't done is open the little inspection-cover (I assume that's what it is) and checked the regulator where it's attached to the glass.

Yes, battling it for a VERY long time. I've managed to quash pretty much every other rattle but this one is my rattle of the month. I think I'm fighting a losing battle with the rattles in this car

Old 04-02-2005, 10:55 AM
I had the same problem on my coupe. It's actually at the dealer right now and they said they're replacing the window motors and window regulators on both sides. Hopefully that fixes the problem and it won't come back again. I say if it's still under warranty bring it into the dealer instead of dealing with the headache of trying to diagnose it yourself. Good Luck!

Old 04-02-2005, 12:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
Giron35:
Let us know if that takes care of the problem--if so, does it stay fixed? Are you hearing a creaking--I have rear passenger side window creaking--they fixed the window/rear deck noise--it came back a few weeks later. Now I have brake squeal backing up, occasional pop in steering that I feel and hear and this window creak--I will get it all addressed on next oil change.

You have a window creak?

window stops creaking if I lower window 1/4"

Old 04-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just get some CAR AUDIO FOAM and do it yourself. the dealer foam probably sucks anyways.

Old 04-02-2005, 06:59 PM
BOOYAH Grandma!

One down... One to go.

I removed the door liner and underneath that there is another black metal cover which lies between you and the innards of the door. All of the black bolts attach the black metal to the door. All of the gold bolts attach the window components to the black metal cover. I removed all of the bolts and pried off the black metal cover (It's semi-stuck to the door by it's seal. Well, underneath that black cover there really isn't much to look at. Two cables which criss-cross in the middle of the door. I'm guessing these are the cables which move each 'bracket' up and down their sliders and which ultimately raise and lower the window. Well, I really couldn't see much in there that might be rattling but then I thought back to my previous door rattle efforts, where I found lots of buzzing and rattling was caused by wires hitting each other and parts of the door.

So, armed with some long strips of black felt and some electrical tape, I completely insulated the cables. The only thing I could think was happening was the two cables were somehow hitting each other and causing the ticking / clicking sound.

It was a PITA to put the door back together but I persevered. What was tricky was trying to line up the holes in the black cover with the regulator components again. Everything moves and when you're putting it all back together you can't touch anything to position it. Well, once I put it back together it became obvious that what I had done solved the problem. BOOYAH!

After I drove around for a while and confirmed that there was no more clicking with the window up, I went to the passenger side, opened the door, and starting jerking it around in a fashion that might make those wires collide. Click! Click! Click! There it was. That's for sure what is / was happening.

It's dinner time now but this evening I'll get back in there and do the passenger side too. I may take some pictures if anyone is interested in seeing which cables I'm talking about.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
interesting...wire tapping sounds.

my window sounds are more of a creaking....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Once and For All... Clicking when windows up?