G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Not a good day today!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a good day today!!!

I was driving to work today and got hit from behind, TWICE, now my 05 g is in pretty bad shape. I got out ok... and was not injured.

this guy came in fast and couldn't stop in time and hit me, which caused me to hit the guy in front of me, and then another guy came in even faster, hit the guy behind me, who hit me and I again hit the guy in front of me. The two guys behind me got citations, and me and the guy in front of me were noted not at fault.

I need advice as to how to approach the repair/replacement of my vehicle, the inside of the trunk is all lifted up and there appears to be frame damage. I am hoping some of you will be able to give me some advice....[

Old 05-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's too bad, glad you are okay! I don't know what the hell is wrong with people, do they not pay attention at all? I see so many last minute stops when it's clear that traffic is slowing down in front of them. I always watch way ahead of me for brake lights, and I learned the hard way to try and leave plenty of space between me and the car in front at a stop! Good luck with all this!

Old 05-24-2005, 10:29 PM
Glad that you are OK....

Contact your and their insurance company ... since you are at no fault, they will pay for the repair. Based on how good they are, if they are big, then they have repair centers in you area, usually in a good car dealer body shop. They are pretty good.

Been in 2 accidents (both not my fault). Took one to local cadillac dealer body shop and they repaired it fine. Even got a loaner. But they do use generic body parts to keep the cost down.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:39 PM
I have brought the car to the dealer where I purchased it from, they have a body shop and told my insurance company that is where I wanted it fixed. How ever, I think that there is frame damage to the car. I also found out that when a car has been in an accident, it lowers the value of it by as much as 20%. I honestly don't think that I should have to absorb that for something that is not my fault.

I was thinking of suing for a new vehicle, as mine is an '05. does anyone think this is possible?

Old 05-24-2005, 11:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
unless your car is totalled you will not be able to do anything about it. what you can do is take it to the shop, install a body kit and then send them the bill. since they were at fault, they'll have to pay for it. i had that with my old car.
cheap way of getting something good out of a bad situation.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:00 PM
ouch

that is a serious bummer. good luck dealing with the insurance companies.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
chutio, as far as a reduction in resale value of your vehicle, I would ask your dealership to give you a written statement of what they think the reduction in resale value of your vehicle will be after the repairs vs an un-damaged vehicle. This is something that in most states you are entitled to claim and most dealerships (especially the one where you bought the car) will be more than happy to help you out.

As far as the repairs go, you're doing the right thing. Go to a good place, insist that they REPLACE vs repair most items and just be sure that you're 100% satisfied before you take possession of the car again. Things to look out for would be orange-peel texture on the new painted bumper, color matching, and things like alignment of the trunk after the repair. Make sure it doesn't look like your trunk is open when it's not.

I had the same type of damage early into ownership of my car and it stressed me out a lot too - I know what you're going through... However don't stress too much. The body shop will be able to get you squared away, those guys work miracles. I too had to had the frame straightened and had the 'buckled' trunk floor etc.

FYI the repairs for me came to around $4k and it was pretty much localized to one side of the rear, but it included a new bumper etc and about 2 weeks in the shop.

Oh yeah, be sure and have the alignment checked after the repair too or ask the body shop if that's something they do. The insurance company should pay for that too. I still have neck pain from my accident and that was a year ago.

Good luck to you. IM me if I can be any help.

Old 05-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Doogie and everyone, thank you all for your advice and help... it really helps knowing that I can count on this forum to get facts that I need.

so far, just for the back end, the estimate for repair is $5K and the front has some damage. I plan on having the dealer give me letter for the diminished value of the vehicle. If I can get with in 2K of the money for my car plus diminish value towards a new one, I am going to get a new vehicle, a 6spd, this time.

thanks again for all the help.....

Old 05-25-2005, 11:39 PM
By chance do you have gap insurance? If you do and they total your car you will be able to get the entire value of your car without the depreciation. Good luck and I am sorry for your loss.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:33 AM
I don't remember if I do.. I am going to check on that tomorrow... I already know that they won't total the car.

Old 05-26-2005, 05:33 AM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Sedan
I've been hearing way too many accident stories lately. I'm glad you are OK and I hope it works out for you.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:03 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That really sucks man....I feel your pain. Gonna be in a rental for weeks while the G is repaired. Hope you don't get a Geo-Metro. JK

Old 05-26-2005, 11:33 AM
I was told that if you are not at fault and the other driver was charged with the accident, you can go after his insurance company for the loss in value of the car because of the accident. Ask your insurance company.

I recently had my front end taken off by a guy running a red light. Almost $20,000 in repairs. My dealer did the repair work and the insurance company themselves insisted they use only new oem parts and nothing was to be fixed, only replaced. They do this if the car has under 10k miles. If it had 10k to 30k miles, they use oem used parts. After 30k miles, they can use aftermarket parts. When I got the car back I couldn't tell the car was ever in an accident. I checked all over. I even brought it down to another body shop a friend of mine owns and had him look at it. He pulled the front wheels and wheels liners off to see the frame as well as a couple of panels under the hood. He couldn't tell it was repaired either. They did a first class repair.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by skeleton_cru
I've been hearing way too many accident stories lately. I'm glad you are OK and I hope it works out for you.
Me too! There have been several like yours in the last week-people stopped and hit from the rear by someone moving rapidly with no braking before impact. Scary!!

I'm glad you are OK.

Andy

Old 05-26-2005, 02:16 PM
Bad experience ... chutio, at least it sounds like you're okay. Such a pain in the a$$ thing to go through. Bad time for G35 drivers ... I've still got a few weeks before I get my car back from my red-light, rear-end adventure. I agree with the guys that say try and relax, because the body shop guys can work miracles. Get this guy's insurance info as quickly as possible, then just document everything and keep every receipt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Not a good day today!!!