G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Compare & Contrast between 2 models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 01:50 AM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Compare & Contrast between 2 models

As I have stated in other threads, I am now the owner of two different G35's. The first is a DG/Graphite 04 5AT, Premium, Aero. The second is an IP/Wheat 05 6MT/Sport, Premium. The 04 now has about 5400 miles on it, while the 05 has about 120. Obviously I haven't had much time to really get a feel for the 05, but here are my first impressions.

04 vs 05
I really like the underside of the front, below the grill, on the 05. Taillights, ditto. I much prefer the external styling of the 05 vs the 04.

It has been stated in many posts, as well as the auto rags, that the 05 had an updated interior that was not as "cheap". Other than the fact that the temp and volume controls are now *****, I really don't see much significance. The layouts are a bit different; speedo/tach have swapped places. The environmental info is now split by the analog clock, which is also backlit. I like the backlit clock, but the other changes really don't make much of a difference to me. The 05 has the brushed-alum lookalike surrounding the center stack, the 04 does not. I could take it or leave it. With the Wheat, it really works. On my 04 with the Graphite, I really like the hard plastic color-matching the interior that surrounds the center stack.

As everybody knows, the 05 supposedly has an HP boost. 260 > 280 in the Auto, but 260 > 298 in my case. I haven't gotten it high enough in the RPM range to feel a difference, and frankly, I'm not counting on being able to see any difference whatsoever.

On the 05 the VDC/Trunk Release/Light dial area has been switched around from the 04. I don't care, but I must ask, WHY? Same thing for the speedo/tack?

The 05 has the telescoping steering wheel, and that's just smooth. I really dig it. I just wish the 6MT had the smart key from the auto.

One thing I have noticed is the seating position of the driver. I can't say for sure, as it may simply be my imagination, but I seem to sit lower in the 05. The seat appears to wrap around me to a much greater degree. I don't mean to imply that the horizontal position of the seat has been changed. It just seems that the bucket is "deeper". Again, this may be my imagination.

5AT vs 6MT
I really can't comment too much on this topic, because I'm still WAY into the breakin period. The 6MT seems to pull evenly, but I don't notice any more power than the 5AT, and I didn't expect to.

Standard Suspension vs Sport
Riding on the interstate home today I was quite surprised to note a "floaty" feel to the new 6MT. I don't mean that it's not as tight as the standard suspension 04. I was just surprised by how little of the road I was going to feel. After reading posts about the sports suspension being much rougher, I expected a completely different ride. And I'm not complaining. I can comment more on this after I get some more miles on it.

The 04 has the stock allow 6 spoke 17's with the Turanzas, and the 05 has the twin 5 spoke 18's with some Goodyear(I haven't checked the exact model). When I got the 04, the first thing I did was to start pricing wheels, because I just didn't like the stock rims. However, I am in love with the wheels on the 05. I see no reason to replace them.

One thing I have noticed, however, about the 6MT is the trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd. I can start off in 1st just fine, but my shifts to 2nd seem to take forever. I just can't get that sweet spot on the clutch. When I finally do shift, I've lost all my rpms. The weird thing is, I haven't had any problem shifting to any other gears. And I also have had no trouble DOWN shifting from 3rd to 2nd. I figure this will be corrected as I gain experience with the clutch.

That's it for now. I'll try to follow-up when I have more observations.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Trey,
Nice ride. My favorite exterior update is the matching lower panels. On the interior my favorite update is the lighting of the gauges. The numbers and needle are much easier to see during the day and the beveled edges give it a more upscale feel. The flat aluminum accents never bothered me much, but it did look less durable.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I just bought a 6MT sedan 2 days ago. I had looked at the Gs back in 2003, but didn't like the interior. I bought a used E-class mercedes instead.

Now, I think Infiniti fixed alot of the little things I didn't care for on the 2003-2004 models.

I am very happy with the car. I have found the clutch barely needs to be pressed ( a few inches) to disengage it. This makes the shifting a bit quicker. Much better than having to plant the clutch pedal all the way to the floor.

My only complaint is that the armrest is too low and maybe a bit too far back. I'm 6' and I drive fairly far back,too.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:51 AM
It works on my machine
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd, I bought my G 3 wks ago and I have the 18" Turanzas ER33. Wonder why thy put two different tire makes on the same make and model. I wonder if it's a north vs south thing. Like perhaps the ER33's have a more "all season" pattern for us people living where it snows. Just a thought, can anyone else comment on what stock tires you have and what part of the US you live in.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Thumbs up You'll get better

One thing I have noticed, however, about the 6MT is the trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd. I can start off in 1st just fine, but my shifts to 2nd seem to take forever. I just can't get that sweet spot on the clutch. When I finally do shift, I've lost all my rpms. The weird thing is, I haven't had any problem shifting to any other gears. And I also have had no trouble DOWN shifting from 3rd to 2nd. I figure this will be corrected as I gain experience with the clutch.
I had the same problem. I found that the more I concentrate on making the shift smoother, the worse it was. If I don't think about it, I shift just fine. Now that I have a few more mile under my belt, I am much better at it. I don't get to drive it much, it's my wifes car.

Old 06-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
GoodYear NCT 5 are the tires that are on my 6MT.

I live in Florida.

Old 06-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Staff Alumni
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBig
Wierd, I bought my G 3 wks ago and I have the 18" Turanzas ER33. Wonder why thy put two different tire makes on the same make and model. I wonder if it's a north vs south thing. Like perhaps the ER33's have a more "all season" pattern for us people living where it snows. Just a thought, can anyone else comment on what stock tires you have and what part of the US you live in.
I don't know if it's a regional thing, a summer/all season thing, or what, because right next to the one I bought, was another with the sports suspension with the 18" version of the Turanzas.

Old 06-11-2005, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by MrBig
Just a thought, can anyone else comment on what stock tires you have and what part of the US you live in.
I'm just south of Dallas, and mine has the Turanzas on it. I did a little checking at the dealer from whom I bought the car and the 6MT sedans had a pretty even mix of Goodyears and Bridgestones.

I'm sure it's just a matter of what tire shipment arrived what day at the factory. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Although it sure would've been nice for Nissan to throw some Pilot Sports on there instead. I'd have paid $500 extra for them.

Old 06-11-2005, 04:22 PM
It works on my machine
It's a crap shoot I guess.

Old 06-11-2005, 05:23 PM
5AT vs 6MT
I really One thing I have noticed, however, about the 6MT is the trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd. I can start off in 1st just fine, but my shifts to 2nd seem to take forever. I just can't get that sweet spot on the clutch. When I finally do shift, I've lost all my rpms. The weird thing is, I haven't had any problem shifting to any other gears. And I also have had no trouble DOWN shifting from 3rd to 2nd. I figure this will be corrected as I gain experience with the clutch.

That's it for now. I'll try to follow-up when I have more observations.[/QUOTE]

When I got my 6 spd about 6 wks ago, I was cursing the 1 to 2 shift and I have over 20yrs stick experience. Now with 2000 miles I have gotten the "feel" which seems to be a spot at some point in the clutch release at which I give her the gas and I kind of hold the clutch a split second longer before releasing.

Old 06-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
As I have stated in other threads, I am now the owner of two different G35's. The first is a DG/Graphite 04 5AT, Premium, Aero. The second is an IP/Wheat 05 6MT/Sport, Premium. The 04 now has about 5400 miles on it, while the 05 has about 120. Obviously I haven't had much time to really get a feel for the 05, but here are my first impressions.
Have you noticed any difference in the noise level (road, wind) of the two cars? This may be hard to judge due to the different transmissions, suspensions, and tires.

I would also ask about engine vibration/buzz, but if you're following proper break-in procedures, you probably haven't been high enough in the RPM band on the 05 to evaluate.

Good luck with the new ride.....

Old 06-12-2005, 03:46 AM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by shaigh
Have you noticed any difference in the noise level (road, wind) of the two cars? This may be hard to judge due to the different transmissions, suspensions, and tires.

I would also ask about engine vibration/buzz, but if you're following proper break-in procedures, you probably haven't been high enough in the RPM band on the 05 to evaluate.

Good luck with the new ride.....
<<this is the husband under the wife's login>>
Unforntunately, I haven't had time to get a feel for the noise level. The past two days, it's been almost nothing but rain due to Tropical Storm Arlene. I think that there may be a bit more noise coming from the rear wheel-wells in the 05. This could be the sports suspension, the 18's, or just the fact that there's a lot of water on the roadways right now. Don't know just yet.

So far, I haven't noticed any vibration/buzz whatsoever, knock on wood.