G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Anyone notice a slight loss in power with the a/c on.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 09:45 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ahhh, now I see the real question......Sorry for the misunderstanding.
On these g's, both the Sedan and Coupe, I noticed very little power drop with air on.
Not nearly as noticeable as other rides I've had.
So yes, perhaps the dealer can help with your concerns.
G/L
C.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:06 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Corgidog
In retrospect I probably should not have posted the thread as I was just reacting to a greater cut in power with the a/c on than I had anticipated. My 2 previous cars, a 95 540 and a 00 M roadster, had less of a cut in power with the a/c on than my G and I was a little disappointed in the G with the a/c on. Thanks for the input.
FWIW....
In the A/C Econ. mode the compressor will drop out during hard acceleration.
= less power loss when required.

I use A/C Econ. mode all the time

Old 06-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamsInfiniti
(Not intending to sound like a jerk) Then perhaps you should have posted something along the lines of "Has anyone noticed a greater loss in performance with the A/C on in the G than in other cars?" instead of asking if anyone had noticed a performance loss at all with the A/C on.
Exactly.

No offense, Corgi, but the way you originally wrote your post - it was just begging to be ripped on.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Misanthropic nut-cracker
Wink

No offense C-Dog....it was just too easy to have a little fun at your expense. Lord knows I've suffered the same torching for my condesending retorts and over zealous opinions. No place here on this site for thin skin, but always room for a little self effacing retrospect. And, in addition to answer your amended question.....I've noticed only a very small power loss in the scenario you described. JBX

Old 06-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've heard an engine can lose something like %25 of its HP while the A/C is on. Anyone know if this is true?

I've noticed a slight power loss, but not enough that this car needs it off for passing.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:28 PM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by Nickk6
I've heard an engine can lose something like %25 of its HP while the A/C is on. Anyone know if this is true?

I've noticed a slight power loss, but not enough that this car needs it off for passing.
There may be some that inefficient I don't know, but ours takes in the 5 to 10 hp range to operate. Very efficient.
C.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Corgidog
In retrospect I probably should not have posted the thread as I was just reacting to a greater cut in power with the a/c on than I had anticipated. My 2 previous cars, a 95 540 and a 00 M roadster, had less of a cut in power with the a/c on than my G and I was a little disappointed in the G with the a/c on. Thanks for the input.
That's the way I understood your question... I'm not sure why so many felt compelled to flame with the obvious. I think everyone knows there is some loss in power; you seem to have an unusual or more noticeable loss... I don't have an extreme loss to where it is overly noticeable (basically not noticeable) - definitely not to the extent that I would be concerned - certainly not more than any other car I've owned.

That's probably the discussion intended?... Anyway, aside from one comment that “of course there is an effect on mpg” - has anyone determined that econ gets better mpg than AC without econ? I haven’t noticed any better mileage with it on. On the other hand, the AC is def colder with it off. If mpg does not improve in econ mode, what's the point?

Any "constructive" input?

Old 06-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
FWIW....
In the A/C Econ. mode the compressor will drop out during hard acceleration.
= less power loss when required.

I use A/C Econ. mode all the time
Thanks, I will give A/C Econ. mode a try.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:48 PM
Whoever started this thread is retarded

Old 06-22-2005, 02:16 PM
What is AC Econ mode suppose to do. I always keep at Auto mode

Old 06-22-2005, 03:06 PM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by smellyg35
Whoever started this thread is retarded

Let's not stir the pot again shall we.............
or are you kidding?

C.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:51 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by basus
What is AC Econ mode suppose to do. I always keep at Auto mode
There is an Econ. auto mode

Old 06-22-2005, 03:55 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TOO much! stop it..... hahahahahaha
my side is beginning to hurt.
Stop! stop.stop. ROF

Old 06-22-2005, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
There may be some that inefficient I don't know, but ours takes in the 5 to 10 hp range to operate. Very efficient.
C.
First off: There are a lot of smart-assed know-it-all ****** on this board who're quick to offer a condescending shot at first blush. I find it a sign of weakness. It's disappointing. Lots of static on this forum and not much knowledge.

Secondly: Gsedanman, I expect your numbers are pretty close, although I'd peg it on the high end of your range when the compressor is engaged. So Corgi, you bet you'll feel a little tug when the compressor is running. (As you know.) The relative power loss -- what you feel on the SOTP dyno -- depends on the overall power curve and torque of the engine and efficiency of the compressor.

Even though the compressor in my wife's G20 is similar in size and efficiency, it feels like a boat anchor is dropped out the back of the car when it engages. A 15-horsepower drag on a 145-horsepower engine is, relatively speaking, a huge number when compared with a 15-horsepower drag on a 298-horsepower engine. Her car turns into a 130-horsepower (and in reality much less during a Dallas summer, with the 100-degree ambient heat sapping another 10 or 15 horsepower compared with a 70-degree baseline) slug, while my G35 merely drops to a 283-horsepower slightly-less-speedy rabbit.

And finally, Corgi, as a guy who's owned five Nissan cars over the last 15 years or so intermixed with a Dodge, Oldsmobile, Pontiac and countless rentals, I think that Nissans in general seem to run compressors that put a heavier drag on the engine than many other manufacturers. The G35 is no exception. I've noticed it with every single Nissan I've bought.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone notice a slight loss in power with the a/c on.