G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Does the Inside Temperature Number Mean Anything?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd
The problem with the G35 sedan is that the automatic setting is setup incorrectly. It does not actually use the inside air temp to adjust the fan speed. It actually uses the outside air temperature. Therefore, when it is really hot out you need to set it about 10-20 degrees below what the outside air is and then adjust it yourself as the car cools down. This really defeats the point of the automatic setting doesn’t it? This is the only design problem I have with the car but it is becoming increasingly annoying. I live in North Carolina where it can get pretty hot! My car usually reads 107 degrees when I get in it at the end of day. That means that my AC is always on full blast on the auto setting until the car gets moving and the temp reading starts to get closer to the real outside air temp.
This isn't true. The car has a temp gauge inside of it somewhere on the dash. Why do you think the AC runs full blast when its super hot inside until it cools down then it slows down. It obviously knows what the temp is inside.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:18 PM
See attached picture.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Does the Inside Temperature Number Mean Anything?-g35_internal_temp_sensor.gif  
Old 06-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Premier Member

My point about the thermometer is that if they do not have a thermometer in the cabin of the car then there is no way that they are controlling the air flow from the A/C based on the inside air temperature at all. Please tell me the location of any thermometers inside of the G35 sedan cabin. I could not find any indication that there are any inside the car in the user manual. Maybe there is but I could not find it. Without this then the design is flawed and the car can not regulate the temperature of the car at all. This is what is actually happening. Try it your self. If I set it to 76 when it is only 83 out then it is cold but not too bad. If I set it to 76 when it reads 107 out then it is down right cold in the car after running the A/C for awhile because the temperature difference is too great. Please prove me wrong on this point. I would love nothing more than to find a way to get the A/C to work properly. My wife can’t stand the fact that she has to keep adjusting the temperature when it is supposed to be automatic.
You are very wrong...

straight from the service manual:

AIR MIX DOOR CONTROL (AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL)
The air mix door is automatically controlled so that in-vehicle temperature is maintained at a predetermined
value by: The temperature setting, ambient temperature, in-vehicle temperature and amount of sunload.
FAN SPEED CONTROL
Blower speed is automatically controlled based on temperature setting, ambient temperature, in-vehicle temperature,
intake temperature, amount of sunload and air mix door position.
With FAN switch set to AUTO, the blower motor starts to gradually increase air flow volume.
When engine coolant temperature is low, the blower motor operation is delayed to prevent cool air from flowing.
INTAKE DOOR CONTROL
The intake doors are automatically controlled by: The temperature setting, ambient temperature, in-vehicle
temperature, intake temperature, amount of sunload and ON-OFF operation of the compressor.
OUTLET DOOR CONTROL
The outlet door is automatically controlled by: The temperature setting, ambient temperature, in-vehicle temperature,
intake temperature and amount of sunload.
RJIA1627E

Old 06-29-2005, 08:21 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by G35_TX
This isn't true. The car has a temp gauge inside of it somewhere on the dash. Why do you think the AC runs full blast when its super hot inside until it cools down then it slows down. It obviously knows what the temp is inside.
What he is saying is that his doesn't slow down. I say take it to the dealer and find out what's broke.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by trey's wife
What he is saying is that his doesn't slow down. I say take it to the dealer and find out what's broke.
Well its not going to slow down till it reaches near the level of the temp. If I have mine at 76 it willl slow down much sooner than 74.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:24 PM
My horns hold up my halo
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Well its not going to slow down till it reaches near the level of the temp. If I have mine at 76 it willl slow down much sooner than 74.
I agree. Mine works fine. I think it could do better with even temp from front seat to back but I have never had a car that did very well with that. I think his is broke and needs to be looked at.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:18 PM
Old 06-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by TooLoud
See attached picture.

Jim
I was wrong. This picture indicates that there is an inside sensor. I guess my car is not operating properly. The fan speed never decreases as temperature in the car decreases. Where exactly is this sensor? It is hard to tell from the picture.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:17 PM
Where exactly is this sensor? It is hard to tell from the picture.
Right by the driver's right knee. You can check if it's working using this method:

1) Turn the ignition key off and then on again.
2) Immediately press and hold the A/C system's OFF button for 5 seconds.
3) Use the Temp control **** to change to code 51.
4) Press the DEF button once to view the external temp sensor's reading.
5) Press the DEF button a second time to view the internal temp sensor's reading.
6) Press the DEF button a third time to view the intake temp sensor's reading.
7) Turn the ignition off to exit diagnostic mode.

Jim
2005 6MT, garnet fire/graphite

Old 06-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally Posted by TooLoud
Right by the driver's right knee. You can check if it's working using this method:

1) Turn the ignition key off and then on again.
2) Immediately press and hold the A/C system's OFF button for 5 seconds.
3) Use the Temp control **** to change to code 51.
4) Press the DEF button once to view the external temp sensor's reading.
5) Press the DEF button a second time to view the internal temp sensor's reading.
6) Press the DEF button a third time to view the intake temp sensor's reading.
7) Turn the ignition off to exit diagnostic mode.

Jim
2005 6MT, garnet fire/graphite
Thank you very much you have definitely helped me resolve this issue.

Old 06-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Plus, after some checking on my car, just because the air coming from the vents is cold, doesn't mean the air at the temp sensor is, I paid attention to mine yesterday, we have been in the upper 90's, and the fan speed does gradually decrease, and I also tried to divert some cold air to the sensor, using my hand, and it did make a difference!

Old 06-30-2005, 01:24 PM
I just went out and tried the codes to see the inside air temp. It worked. It said it was 127 degrees inside my car and 103 degrees outside the car. The outside temperature slowly decreased as a drove it. I stopped and checked the inside air temp again still said 127 and the A/C was going strong no matter what temp I set it on. I think my inside thermometer is definitely broken.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:33 PM
I just went out and tried the codes to see the inside air temp. It worked. It said it was 127 degrees inside my car and 103 degrees outside the car. The outside temperature slowly decreased as a drove it. I stopped and checked the inside air temp again still said 127 and the A/C was going strong no matter what temp I set it on. I think my inside thermometer is definitely broken.
There ya go. Looks like a service visit for ya. This thread was good, because we all learned a lot about the system. TooLoud had a lot of good information.

Old 06-30-2005, 01:55 PM
TooLoud is the man ... good stuff. Plus, I love that he went with the Garnett Fire/Graphite combo - that is a good rare combo. On this topic, I just stick with manual settings, because I hate getting in a car and immediately getting blasted with Max AC when I'm not expecting it

Old 06-30-2005, 02:32 PM
I am not entirely convinced my thermometer isn’t broken. The 127 temperature was obviously wrong and it didn’t seem to go down. However, I had it set to the ECON mode. I realized after reading this that the ECON mode is the wrong thing to use on really hot days. I need to do some testing to find out what is wrong. Thank you for all of your help.

What is the difference between "Auto" mode and "Econo" mode
AUTOMATIC OPERATION
Cooling and/ or dehumidified heating (AUTO) This mode may be normally used all year round as the system automatically works to keep a constant temperature. Air flow distribution and fan speed are also controlled automatically.
1. Push the AUTO button on. (AUTO will be displayed.)
2. Turn the temperature set dial to the left or right to set the desired temperature.
• Adjust the temperature set dial to about 75° F (24° C) for normal operation.
• The temperature of the passenger compartment will be maintained automatically. Air flow distribution and fan speed are also controlled automatically.
Heating (ECON)
The air conditioner does not activate. When you need to heat only, use this mode.
1. Push the ECON (Economy) button on. (ECON will be displayed.)
2. Turn the temperature set dial to the left or right to set the desired temperature.
• The temperature of the passenger compartment will be maintained automatically. Air flow distribution and fan speed are also controlled automatically.
• Do not set the temperature lower than the outside air temperature. Otherwise the system may not work properly.
• Not recommended if windows fog up.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does the Inside Temperature Number Mean Anything?