G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

Auto transmission oil question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 02:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Auto transmission oil question

So I went for the 30k service and I decided to get the transmission fluid exchange.
They were charging me a reasonable price so I was happy. When I got home and looked at the recipt it said under parts:
- 12qts of Quaker state transmission fluid- localantoil.

What the hell is that
I thought it is suppose to be a special Nissan J matic oil only.

Do you know when did they start using this stuff?

This was at Frontier Infiniti on Stevens Creek, San jose, CA

Thanks for any input.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:22 AM
Wow, that would make me rather upset. I'd almost feel as though my auto tranmission was raped

Old 08-03-2005, 07:32 AM
Well I would go back and get it replaced with OEM oil and not quaker state. But check and see what the ratings are on the quaker state. It might be better that the OEM oil. I would want to have a little talk with the service manager about it. Sometimes the service department likes to save a bit of cash by using a equally rated oil that costs less. I know they would stand by any issues that you might have with the tranny, but who needs that.

Old 08-03-2005, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by iafzal
So I went for the 30k service and I decided to get the transmission fluid exchange.
They were charging me a reasonable price so I was happy. When I got home and looked at the recipt it said under parts:
- 12qts of Quaker state transmission fluid- localantoil.

What the hell is that
I thought it is suppose to be a special Nissan J matic oil only.

Do you know when did they start using this stuff?

This was at Frontier Infiniti on Stevens Creek, San jose, CA

Thanks for any input.
Quaker State is a manufacturer of very high quality petroleum products. I would have no qualms about having their fluids in my car. Remember, Nissan is not in the business of fluids and oils. Someone makes them for them on a contract basis just like every other manufacturer that I can think of. Relax, all is well.

Old 08-03-2005, 01:29 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow, Nissan is so specific and fussy about what goes in the Auto tranny, I would think that stuff is the same as J-fluid.
Call them up and ask about it. If they won't come clean, call another dealer for info.
C.

Old 08-03-2005, 02:18 PM
save your receipt for future warranty work on the tranny.....

Old 08-03-2005, 02:24 PM
D87
Originally Posted by Streaker
Relax, all is well.

I don't know about that, take your owner's manual and point out the paragraph where it states the car has to take J-matic fluid or it voids the warranty. They should also compensate you somehow for your troubles and also put in writing for tranny replacement or something for the future if something goes wrong.

Old 08-03-2005, 03:53 PM
OK, so I called another dealer nearby and he told me that they are now using multi car fluid provided by Quaker state that meets all the J matic requirements and will not void warranty?
They said they you still have the option to use Nissan oil but it will cost you an extra ~$75.
I never got that option and they just used the cheaper oil and I was under the impression I was getting a good deal.

Now I am doubleminded to what to do should I go and ask for changing it with Nissan J matic as they never gave me the option or stick with it.
He did tell me this is not from Infiniti but the dealers are using this other oil as it meets all the requirements and does not void warranty.
I asked what is the fluid and he said it is directly supplied from Quaker state. Price on it was $2.59. quite cheap compared to the $10/qt on the Nissan stuff.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:12 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
If it were me, I'd get hold of a Nissan tech and get their opinion of that replacement fluid. I'd want to make sure it's sufficient.
If it is ok, I'd run it for a year or 2 then have it changed out again for J-matic.
An alternative would be to have the dealer install the better fluid for you and subtract the cost of the cheaper fluid from that bill, since they should have given you the choice of fluids.
G/L
C.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:18 PM
D87
I would get it in writing on their Dealership letterhead that it does not void the warranty, then fax a copy to Infiniti HQ and ask them to verify this. I can see down the road tranny problems and the people you talked to today conveniently "no longer with our dealership" with no record of what they "told" you. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:33 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The question is: How does the tranny react after 100,000 miles or at 150,000 miles of using something that meets the spec vs the oem designed ATF.

Only JATCO the tranny manufacture [and specifier of ATF] will know that answer.

In the long run changing ATF every 30k with a slightly inferior domestic but similar product should extend AT life longer than using oem ATF for 100k without a change.

Whether using oem exclusively will add 25,000 miles to AT life on the backside would require years to find out.........after all the tranny replacement should be less than $4,000 [adjusted upward for inflation in 7-10 years].

Something many used buyers will not think about [or research].

Since the 5AT has only been around since summer 2002, no one knows the true in US service life.

Since it is a new light weight [more aluminum gears] design always err on changing ATF frequently. Better to waste [gamble] $150 x 3 than to get with a giant bill after 100k. USED cars without a tranny don't sell well.

Old 08-04-2005, 07:45 PM
Hello Q45Tech,

Why would the Infiniti dealership go with this change? It seems both of the dealerships here in bay area are using this Quaker state J matic oil.

The difference in price is about $75 if you use the OEM stuff but if you buy the car I think you don't want to take the chance unless you know it is as good or better then the OEM.

Can I ask for a letter from the dealership on this or should I ask it from Infinit itself. Aren't dealership distribution arm of the company and any service they do have to be approved by Infiniti?