G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

05 Impression

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 04:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone24
So now the argument has migrated from, "well the 03s are just as fast anyway," to "well, we were the first ones to buy these cars ... we are the pioneers and our cars are superior!"
who said that exactly?

Originally Posted by JKWrigh
}kinda got lost at the end of this mini-rant, but I can tell you this: I could have purchased an '03 G35. Didn't. Could have bought an '03.5. Pass. Same with the '04. Only when the '05 came did the urge to buy the car finally overwhelm me, and there was exactly one reason why. The interior improvments.
SO I guess you were just waiting on the interior improvements to buy the G instead of getting something totally different?
To me, the interior of the newer models are almost the same except for minor cosmetic diffferences and feel. If you can't see the cost cutting in the newer model just the same then I don't know what to say. I could have bought an 04, 05 or an 06. I too am choosing to pass... so I don't get your point. The point I made earlier was in response to all of the 05 drivers who chose to hate on the 03, 04 drivers. If you think that your car is better then more power to you. I could care less about the "rivalry" I think it's stupid. From my point of view there are actually interior styling queues that I like better in the 03/04 however if I were currently in the market for a G35, I would get the 05 because it is new and because of the timing. But I did enjoy having a new model design over a design that is soon to be replaced.

A G is a G is a G.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Taste's Great!

Old 08-08-2005, 05:14 PM
Actually that should be "LESS FILLING" as the 03's are about 100 pounds lighter thatn the 05's.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
SO I guess you were just waiting on the interior improvements to buy the G instead of getting something totally different?
Not waiting at all. We'd decided to pass on the car in favor of a Legacy 2.5 GT Limited Wagon. My wife wanted to drive an FX35 before we committed to the Subie, so we made the trip to Sewell and were underwhelmed with that car as well. I was doing my own little mini-rant on the cheapness of the G35's interior to the salesman when he said, "Have you seen the '05 model yet? We've got two in and it's a night-and-day difference." (This was January, right as the '05 6MT models were hitting the showroom.) I thought he was sounding a little desperate, but when my wife and I sat down in the '05 model we were blown away instantly. Couldn't believe it was the same car we'd had as a loaner a year earlier.

The Subie fell off the radar after that. This is our personal opinion, so please don't take offense, but we felt the Subaru's interior was nicer than the '03/'04 G35's. Add in several thousand dollars in savings, Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, a zillion more cubic feet of space and The World's Largest Sunroof and it was an easy choice between those two cars. (We're not caught up in the brand image thing so much.) But the interior and exterior redesign on the '05 G35 trumped the Subie, even factoring in the additional cost.

Please don't take our opinion personally. If you're happy with your car, far be it for me to tell you why you shouldn't be. But for us, the early interior was underwhelming and cheap to say the least, and well out of place.
If you can't see the cost cutting in the newer model just the same then I don't know what to say.
Oh, it's still there. No doubt about it. What the '05 redesign did for us was address the glaring areas that screamed "A bean counter did this!" at various areas around the cockpit. The brushed aluminum trim was a massive improvement over the gray plastic. The redesigned, brighter, more uniformly lit gauge cluster looks more expensive. The Stone color looks far less like muddy clay than the old Willow. The illuminated steering wheel controls are snappy. The clock placement looks more elegant. The door handles, "titanium" bits of nondescript plastic that looked identical to those in my old Altima 3.5, were replaced with shiny classy pieces. I could go on, but there's no point. I like the '05; I didn't like the earlier cars; and had the interior carried over, I'd be in a Subaru. End of story.

I will say that I think I'd rather have the "base" 280-horsepower engine in my 6MT. My old Altima was definitely torquier down low, and both the '04 and '05 5AT G35s I've driven were gutsier below 3000 rpm. Easier and more pleasurable to drive around town.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
who said that exactly?

To me, the interior of the newer models are almost the same except for minor cosmetic diffferences and feel. If you can't see the cost cutting in the newer model just the same then I don't know what to say. I could have bought an 04, 05 or an 06. I too am choosing to pass... so I don't get your point. The point I made earlier was in response to all of the 05 drivers who chose to hate on the 03, 04 drivers. If you think that your car is better then more power to you. I could care less about the "rivalry" I think it's stupid. From my point of view there are actually interior styling queues that I like better in the 03/04 however if I were currently in the market for a G35, I would get the 05 because it is new and because of the timing. But I did enjoy having a new model design over a design that is soon to be replaced.

A G is a G is a G.
?

Old 08-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by mwfan
I think that there are two key interior upgrades on the '05 that no one has mentioned:

1. Rosewood trim (like the M45 and way better than the fake metal in the earlier cars).

2. Leather covering the shifting paths -- who wants to look down and see where the shifter is traveling -- gives more of a standard feel to the automatic and is smaller and less clunky.

Gotta agree with you on point #2. The leather on the shifter is the nicest touch in my opinion. I'd love to see someone do this to an '04, if possible.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by mwfan
I think that there are two key interior upgrades on the '05 that no one has mentioned:

1. Rosewood trim (like the M45 and way better than the fake metal in the earlier cars).

2. Leather covering the shifting paths -- who wants to look down and see where the shifter is traveling -- gives more of a standard feel to the automatic and is smaller and less clunky.
Even the real brushed aluminum is much better, and the leather shift "boot" is reaaly a nice touch.

Old 08-08-2005, 05:51 PM
So we've got Altimas with more torque (FWD's alway's feel more torquey LOL) than the 03 -04 model G and Subaru's having better AWD or something. Are you kidding it's a frikking tin can subbie.. Have you heard the door close on one of those. Speaking of Altima, the reason I pass on the 05 model G-35, with all the glorious "leather like" orange peel under brushed aluminum is that the 05 G looks more like the current updated and, yes, very much nicer Altima. The G is still no nicer than the Alty, so what's your point. You have a bigger piece of cake than the rest of your friends. Nice

I still think the 05 had wonderful improvements but all you dill munches with your superiority complexes need to take a look at the 3 series if you want to know what a well thought out lux interior looks like. It was worth buying in 03 then, but now - still a great car but not so sureif I'd buy it again. The G needs more than ever in it's next design revamp based on what came out since 03 from the germans. A subbie LOL. What a POS. As for more torque - It's deceiving you since the car is no faster...

Old 08-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Premier Member

I owned a 04. And now own a 05. The interior is MUCH better, not slightly.

Originally Posted by SixFive
I also had an 05 for a weekend and can say that the interior is only slightly better.. You'll notice the owners of the 05 say it's better and we 03-04 say otherwise - no coincidence, I'm sure. There are some nice things about the 05 for sure like the leather wrapped handles and the additional piece of chrome across the dash length, but the new controls are more altima like. I do like that the 05 removed the trapezoiz shaped bin cover for the hvac window that was a hunk of cheap plastic and huge in 03.

I like that the 03's interior is more distinguished from other cars in the nissan lineup. Also, lets face it. The dash has way too many contours and lines and 3 different materials on one dash - for all years. I also like the premium package for 03 which makes the center console all colored stainless. Rather than the 03, which has real stainless inserts on a big piece of rubberized orange peel plastic. Pick your medicine, this is no 04 audi A4 or new 3 series. The radio display for all years is quite disappointing with the tiny orange display. I guess we all expect big screens now used for the NAV and other controls.

I will always appreciate the original car for what it is and was. While becoming a dinasour, it's got the charachter and rude industrialness I was looking for as a 350Z alternative and was the antithesis of the 03 BMW 3 series, which was getting old to me. I would never buy a newer G when there are better cars out there now and THE M45 BABY! I may get flack but in 03 it was the king - in 05 it is not. Back then it sure was fun getting all the looks and attention but now there seem to be hundreds of G sedans everywhere. I bet sales did get better with the improved 05 as it softened some of the industrial edge it had in 03-04. I will keep my 03.5 for 10 years and will be tempted again and again to buy something else, but there is just no way I'll ever be as excited about a car as I was when deciding to buy this thing. It is what I wanted and what I'll have for years to come.

Old 08-08-2005, 06:57 PM
So we've got Altimas with more torque (FWD's alway's feel more torquey LOL) than the 03 -04 model G and Subaru's having better AWD or something. Are you kidding it's a frikking tin can subbie.. Have you heard the door close on one of those. Speaking of Altima, the reason I pass on the 05 model G-35, with all the glorious "leather like" orange peel under brushed aluminum is that the 05 G looks more like the current updated and, yes, very much nicer Altima. The G is still no nicer than the Alty, so what's your point. You have a bigger piece of cake than the rest of your friends. Nice

I still think the 05 had wonderful improvements but all you dill munches with your superiority complexes need to take a look at the 3 series if you want to know what a well thought out lux interior looks like. It was worth buying in 03 then, but now - still a great car but not so sureif I'd buy it again. The G needs more than ever in it's next design revamp based on what came out since 03 from the germans. A subbie LOL. What a POS. As for more torque - It's deceiving you since the car is no faster...
You obviously don't know what "orange peel" is Seņor! Stop drinking from the Schuylkill!
Originally Posted by G35_TX
I owned a 04. And now own a 05. The interior is MUCH better, not slightly.
Absolutely!!! They did a great job!

Last edited by ABQ_G35; 08-08-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:00 PM
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
You obviously don't know what "orange peel" is Seņor!

Absolutely!!! They did a great job!
He has no clue what he is talking about. It's pretty obvious.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
He has no clue what he is talking about. It's pretty obvious.
Yeah, sure is!

Old 08-08-2005, 08:05 PM
[Bizarre, unintelligible rant #2]
What's with the defensiveness? I mean no disrespect to early G35 owners. What I think and what I feel regarding the G35 has exactly zero bearing on how you feel about it. I said this to a guy on the coupe forum and I'll say it again here: You need to grow a thicker skin. Nobody, particularly me, is insulting you or your taste on this issue. The early car just wasn't my cup of tea, that's all. Deal with it.

Now here's an insult for you: It is my opinion that anyone who drops $45K-plus on a 5000-pound pig of a Volkswagen (!) truck should have his nonsensical comments regarding performance sedans stricken from all public forums. Do you know anyone like that, SixFive?

(Dude: Don't freak out. It's a joke, man.)

Old 08-08-2005, 08:54 PM
When I get out of my wife's VW - which is 15K less than the Porsche for the same power, LOL - (I'm sure you realize that I don't take any of this too seriously as well JK)- I realized what a crap interior I have in my G35. Yes, the VW needs about 300 more horse's but my wife wouldn't buy into any power or anything less safe after a 110 mph head on combined speed collision. Her car and I'm so glad we got it. It's the best interior except for a 7 series or S class that I've been in and is rock solid uniframe with road manners many sports sedans of the 90's aspired to 38+ options. My friends just bought a GMC envoy for 44...wtf it's an overpriced POS. I told her we could get a Infiniti FX45 but she said two of the same platform is no fun! Great car loving wife-o-mine, she said platform!

Defensive eh, - come on, I'm trashing my own car. And your's a bit - it's no great big deal so don't mind me.

Old 08-08-2005, 09:08 PM
PS I almost bought the 3 series last weekend and my ranting resembles the actual thought process as I struggle with my decision to hold my purchase from early 03.

I wasn't willing to admit it until I ran into the bought the 04 - gotta have the 05 people but I'm falling out of love with a G I promised to have until 2013. The BMW rocks except it's missing about 50 hp. Everthing else other than the G/3 is a compromise driveabilty wise and I just don't know what to do...I'm thinking of selling it and getting a mazda 3 now - ok now I'm thinking about keeping the G again. I thought I was in love but now it's like I'm cheating...god these Sierra's are good!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 05 Impression