done, however..you probably need rims with lower
offset..and for the brake itself ...i believe some
modifications are needed

Cheers

Old 08-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dklau33
How is that a waste of money? You don't think the 13" front kit combined with decent race pads and fluid will be able to stand up to track abuse? If you're saying go for the 14" just for the bling factor then you are talking to the wrong person.
The factory Brembo brakes are not much bigger than the factory 05 brakes. I mean barely any bigger. With better race pads and better fluid on the 05 stock brakes will be just as good.

13" for the bling, 14" for the purpose of having better brakes.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:33 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have the 13" Stoptech's and I have driven an 05 with the larger brakes. I can say without a doubt the Stoptech's outperform the 05 brakes.

As stated, the lines, fluid (motul RBF600 in my case), and pads make a difference. I am running Hawk HPS pads, which I would say are only marginally better than the stock pads. I have also have a set of HP+'s that I just took off, which are significantly better than stock. Also in my case, slightly stickier tires help some.

With all that said, the true diffence is in the amount of fade after 10-15 hard stops. This is a product of the rotor (maybe the fluid some), that is thicker than OE rotor. Also, the response is much quicker, I think this is a product of the 4 small pistons on the Stoptech's, vs larger piston(s) on the 05's.

As far as the 14" stoptech vs. the 13," even Stoptech will tell you there is not much of a difference (same stopping distance, slightly lower temps), same goes for the 4 wheel kit. Our cars setup is already very good (even the 04's), the 13" kit is really all you need....

Here is a link to a good article on the Stoptech's, that compares the 13" to the 14."
http://www.zeckhausen.com/testing_brakes.htm#Summary

Couple questions for an 05 owner:

How many pistons are on the 05 caliper?
What is the thickness of the rotors?

Old 08-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Premier Member

Poor comparison. You need to put the same pads on 05 brakes and fluid then compare. The 05 will be just as good as a 13" stoptech.

Two Pistons on the 05. 12.8" I believe is the size of the front brakes, but oyu need to double check that.

Originally Posted by jran76
I have the 13" Stoptech's and I have driven an 05 with the larger brakes. I can say without a doubt the Stoptech's outperform the 05 brakes.

As stated, the lines, fluid (motul RBF600 in my case), and pads make a difference. I am running Hawk HPS pads, which I would say are only marginally better than the stock pads. I have also have a set of HP+'s that I just took off, which are significantly better than stock. Also in my case, slightly stickier tires help some.

With all that said, the true diffence is in the amount of fade after 10-15 hard stops. This is a product of the rotor (maybe the fluid some), that is thicker than OE rotor. Also, the response is much quicker, I think this is a product of the 4 small pistons on the Stoptech's, vs larger piston(s) on the 05's.

As far as the 14" stoptech vs. the 13," even Stoptech will tell you there is not much of a difference (same stopping distance, slightly lower temps), same goes for the 4 wheel kit. Our cars setup is already very good (even the 04's), the 13" kit is really all you need....

Here is a link to a good article on the Stoptech's, that compares the 13" to the 14."
http://www.zeckhausen.com/testing_brakes.htm#Summary

Couple questions for an 05 owner:

How many pistons are on the 05 caliper?
What is the thickness of the rotors?

Old 08-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
Poor comparison. You need to put the same pads on 05 brakes and fluid then compare. The 05 will be just as good as a 13" stoptech.

Two Pistons on the 05. 12.8" I believe is the size of the front brakes, but oyu need to double check that.

Care to bet? HPS pads are marginally better than stock. I will be happy to to prove you wrong. Put some Motul in your 05 (and HPS's if need be), and let's test it out. 15 stops from 80-0, by the 10th stop I will have 5 to 10+ feet on you.

BTW, the fronts are 12.6 and around 26mm thick. There is absolutely no way a rotor that is a full .5" smaller with 2 less pistons and 6mm narrower is going to be close. Sorry, physics dosen't lie.

Now in terms of value is the 5-10 feet you gain worth $1700, that's for you to decide. Obviously, you don't think so.

I am sure you will argue with me all day on this Russ, so I will stop here, but if you want to test it out, I am sure we will cross paths in Austin/Dallas/SA one of these days. Add some Motul and bring $100....

Old 08-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Premier Member

Rotors aren't what causes fade. It's heat, and the pad material and fluid make the biggest difference. Since our stock rotors are basically 13" rotors they will cool just fine. I track my car, and let me tell you, my cars brakes did much better than the 350z brembos a guy had. My car even stopped faster than him in the last part. The last part where the laser was you only had 30 yards to stop from 60~ in. And my car did it in less than half that distance each run.

Anytime man. Once they have pads for my car HPS wise, I will get some and the Motul 600.

Care to bet? HPS pads are marginally better than stock. I will be happy to to prove you wrong. Put some Motul in your 05 (and HPS's if need be), and let's test it out. 15 stops from 80-0, by the 10th stop I will have 5 to 10+ feet on you.

BTW, the fronts are 12.6 and around 26mm thick. There is absolutely no way a rotor that is a full .5" smaller with 2 less pistons and 6mm narrower is going to be close. Sorry, physics dosen't lie.

Now in terms of value is the 5-10 feet you gain worth $1700, that's for you to decide. Obviously, you don't think so.

I am sure you will argue with me all day on this Russ, so I will stop here, but if you want to test it out, I am sure we will cross paths in Austin/Dallas/SA one of these days. Add some Motul and bring $100....

Old 08-10-2005, 09:28 PM
G35_TX, when you say tracked your car was this on a high speed road course where speeds can get up to 90+mph and then you need to quickly brake down to ~30 mph? Sounds like you are just talking about autocross where speeds typically don't get higher than 50-60 mph. Big difference between the two where brakes can fade much easier on a road course. Well in terms of a real road course, without doing the actual comparsions myself, I would bet that the 13" Stoptech front kit will resist fade and perform better than the stock '05 brakes being fluid and pads equal. Like Jran said, the Stoptech rotors are bigger (332x32), are two piece with an aluminum hat, has better internal vane design for cooling. The calipers are 4 piston providing better braking modulation, are made of forged aluminum for lighter weight, and are extremely durable. But then again this is just all speculation on my part until someone does an actual test.

Old 08-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Premier Member

G35_TX, when you say tracked your car was this on a high speed road course where speeds can get up to 90+mph and then you need to quickly brake down to ~30 mph? Sounds like you are just talking about autocross where speeds typically don't get higher than 50-60 mph. Big difference between the two where brakes can fade much easier on a road course. Well in terms of a real road course, without doing the actual comparsions myself, I would bet that the 13" Stoptech front kit will resist fade and perform better than the stock '05 brakes being fluid and pads equal. Like Jran said, the Stoptech rotors are bigger (332x32), are two piece with an aluminum hat, has better internal vane design for cooling. The calipers are 4 piston providing better braking modulation, are made of forged aluminum for lighter weight, and are extremely durable. But then again this is just all speculation on my part until someone does an actual test.
I understand that, but on brakes I know what causes fade. I been racing for 12 damn years! Yes only because of the pads and fluid the stoptech will help. The size isn't that much of a difference where its going to make it work the purchase. Unless you go to a 14" brake setup from a 13" then yes it will.

I love people on this forum posting information like this when they have no race experience.

Old 08-11-2005, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by G35_TX
I love people on this forum posting information like this when they have no race experience.
I love people on this forum who post comments about other people when they don't even have a modicum of knowledge about said other people.

Look killer, I agree with you that the 14" kit is the best just because of the sheer size of the rotors to absorb more heat. What I don't agree with is that the 13" kit is not worth the money over the '05 brakes. I believe they are worth it. You believe other wise. I've been racing for a few years now but since it's not 12 I must be talking out my a**. So lets just agree to disagree before it turns into a pissing contest and this goes into OT.

Old 08-11-2005, 07:04 AM
OK, I said I was done with this thread, but I have to reply.

I am glad to hear the 05 brakes hold up. The 03 Z brakes and 04 G35 brakes did not hold up very well. I tracked the G35 with just the Stoptech's (great), and tracked the Z twice, once with Stoptech's (great), once OE (crappy), and I autocrossed the Z once on OE brakes (no problems).

Like I said, physics doesn't lie. A larger rotor does disipates more heat. As you said, less heat=less fade. Read the technical article I refernced earlier (at the end you can see the differnce in heat and stopping distance). The 14" kit offers some improvement over the 13" in terms of heat disipation, stopping distance is about the same. However, if you look at all the numbers you will see the 13" is all you need 99.9% of the time. FYI, the 14" kit uses the same caliper and pads, so if only the pads and fluid matter, why is the 14" kit so much better.

I think dklau33 did a good job of decribing the technical details of the Stoptech system (Alum. hat, larger rotor, vain design, etc.), so I see no need to go into detail on the Stoptech system. Just look at how many race cars use Stoptech brakes in series like the Grand Am Cup, and Speedworld challenge.

Back to the original topic, yes even the Brembo's are a slight upgarde over the 05 brakes, you gain a better (non-sliding) caliper, a 1/4" larger rotor, a few mm's in thickness. The system also looks pretty good. As stated, I would buy the kit and sell it if you do not want it, some people are selling the Brembo kits for $1800+. Sorry for taking this off the original topic....

Last edited by jran76; 08-11-2005 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:17 AM
Premier Member

Okay, I am done argueing with immature people. Have a nice day.

I love people on this forum who post comments about other people when they don't even have a modicum of knowledge about said other people.

Look killer, I agree with you that the 14" kit is the best just because of the sheer size of the rotors to absorb more heat. What I don't agree with is that the 13" kit is not worth the money over the '05 brakes. I believe they are worth it. You believe other wise. I've been racing for a few years now but since it's not 12 I must be talking out my a**. So lets just agree to disagree before it turns into a pissing contest and this goes into OT.

Last edited by G35_TX; 08-11-2005 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:22 AM
Premier Member

No that is not what I said. I said the 13" isn't worth the upgrade, the 14" is.

I never talk out of my ***. I post the facts on how they are from experience and how brakes work. I know the 04 had issues. I had one. The 05s are much much better. You want to believe all the maxima.org kiddies go right ahead. They have a lot more growing up to do instead of making up a bunch of BS lies which I am too old for now and will not tolerate it anymore.

Then if the 13" is so much better, please EXPLAIN to me in detail how the 13" brake kit would be so much better than the stock 12.6" rotors and put the same pads and fluids on both cars? Rotor size is slightly smaller, but not enough to usually make that much of a difference.

I would personally not spend $1500 plus just to upgrade .4" on my brakes to a stoptech when I know its not worth that much for just a little difference. I would go at least 14". This is just from many years of experience and others here could also give their opinions as well who have experience with brakes.

OK, I said I was done with this thread, but I have to reply.

First off, let me say this, I know a whole lot more about you (Russ, err... your pretty notoious for talking out of your a**), than you will never know about me.... There is a good reason that almost no one knows who I am, and I feel no need to go deeply into credentials. Although I doubt your 12 years of "race" experience, based on what I know from being around Maxima.org and this sight (along with meeting you on a few occasions), I am glad to hear the 05 brakes hold up. The 03 Z brakes and 04 G35 brakes did not hold up very well. I tracked the G35 with just the Stoptech's (great), and tracked the Z twice, once with Stoptech's (great), once OE (crappy), and I autocrossed the Z once on OE brakes (no problems).

Russ, you are contadicting yourself. You say the 14" kit is a great improvement over the 13" kit, and then go on to say that the size of the rotor does not matter.

So which one is it? Like I said, physics doesn't lie. A larger rotor does disipates more heat. As you said, less heat=less fade. Read the technical article I refernced earlier (at the end you can see the differnce in heat and stopping distance). The 14" kit offers some improvement over the 13" in terms of heat disipation, stopping distance is about the same. However, if you look at all the numbers you will see the 13" is all you need 99.9% of the time. FYI, the 14" kit uses the same caliper and pads, so if only the pads and fluid matter, why is the 14" kit so much better.

I think dklau33 did a good job of decribing the technical details of the Stoptech system (Alum. hat, larger rotor, vain design, etc.), so I see no need to go into detail on the Stoptech system. Just look at how many race cars use Stoptech brakes in series like the Grand Am Cup, and Speedworld challenge.

Back to the original topic, yes even the Brembo's are a slight upgarde over the 05 brakes, you gain a better (non-sliding) caliper, a 1/4" larger rotor, a few mm's in thickness. The system also looks pretty good. As stated, I would buy the kit and sell it if you do not want it, some people are selling the Brembo kits for $1800+. Sorry for taking this off the original topic....

Old 08-11-2005, 08:32 AM
All I Wanted to know is if the Brembo brakes would fit on my car.... I do not even want them for the stopping power, just the WOW factor...

But I do plan to auto cross it some, but I am just going to keep the stock on there..
BUT with the Coupe's 19" wheels, the stock rotors look really small...

I think $4000 for 4 rotors and brakes for a car is STUPID CRAZY MONEY!!!!... I can not even imagine spending that much on brakes, I bought the baddest brakes out there for my Supra and paid less than $2000 a few years ago..

Old 08-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Premier Member

Alrighty, lets get down to business.

The Brembo from the 03-04 should fit "SHOULD" fit the 05 model. The only thing that changed was the calipers, rotor size and pads. Your replacing all this hardware anyways so it SHOULD FIT.

Originally Posted by dugg35
All I Wanted to know is if the Brembo brakes would fit on my car.... I do not even want them for the stopping power, just the WOW factor...

But I do plan to auto cross it some, but I am just going to keep the stock on there..
BUT with the Coupe's 19" wheels, the stock rotors look really small...

I think $4000 for 4 rotors and brakes for a car is STUPID CRAZY MONEY!!!!... I can not even imagine spending that much on brakes, I bought the baddest brakes out there for my Supra and paid less than $2000 a few years ago..

Old 08-11-2005, 11:09 AM
they fit on my '03 as a bolt on affair - with small modification to the rear dust shield, a big improvement for an '03

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will 350Z Brembo brakes fit a 05 SEDAN?