G35 Sedan V35 2003-06 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Sedan

G35 vs TL vs Legacy GT ?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BS????!!!!!!

What, that I paid $25,895 or that I had all those cars..

I bought the car from Browns Honda/Dodge in Charolettesville VA, call them and see.... Or I can send you a copy of the title which says what I paid and I paid it in full and have the title here... But why would I lie...
I paid $12K for my supra, $30K for the Vette, $32K for the Magnum...
Or if you do not beleive the cars I have owned.....

Here are pictures of my Sequoia, Magnum Rt, Supra, Vette and Jeep...

Old 08-12-2005, 02:12 AM
TL has a really nice interior.. but yeah, wrong wheel drive. Just doenst give the same handling expereince. Drive them all though, and decide for yourself

Old 08-12-2005, 03:20 AM
Driven all 3

Before I bought my 2005 G35x, I test drove all 3.

Here are the reasons why I did not buy the other two:

TL - oversteer, fwd, not AWD
GT - small interior comparitively, turbo lag, power is either on or off, no inbetween

Reasons why I bought the G35X
-AWD
-Decent interior
-IMO best looking
-BEST HANDLING & POWER
-Spacious

Reasons why you might not want a G35
-may have mild squeeks after several hundred miles
-shaky rare view mirror (standard - non dimming)
-crappy paint (very thin - tends to chip easy)
-not quite as lux as the TL
-AWD is not standard - have to go to the G35X if you want awd
-options are not cheap when compared to the TL, TL comes with almost everything standard

My advice: Go test drive all three. Since the G35 is sort of the middle of the road car in most aspects, test drive this first and get a feel of the other two. You'll get a feel of what you want or don't want. My 2 cents.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by JKWright
I'll keep it fairly short. Obviously, I bought the G35:

Acura TL 6MT: Gorgeous interior, outstanding fit and finish, quality, expensive-looking materials, excellent ergonomics. Good deal for the cash -- I was quoted $33.5K for the car with Navi. But I was underwhelmed with the test drive. The car exhibited a surprising amount of torque steer and plowed like the FWD souped-up Accord it is. The engine felt weaker than I expected, particularly down low. No soul. Excellent shifter and clutch. But a really nice luxury appliance that had some pop.
Legacy 2.5 GT Limited Wagon 5MT/5AT: Semi-cheap interior compared with the '05 G35 and TL. Really not in the same class luxury-wise. But quality materials and simple, good ergonomics with decent materials in the interior. The Limited model has leather, an in-dash six-CD changer, four-way heated seats (just two-way on the G35), and the biggest multi-pane sunroof I've ever seen. 5MT model has a notchy, disappointing shifter and tricky clutch but goes like stink; 5AT has steering-wheel shifters and a good manumatic mode, but is a poor match for the turbo motor. It felt much slower than the 5MT. Not much turbo lag, good torque down low. Tons of character and a ball to drive. Quoted $28K flat for the 5MT model with everything in the world on it during a no-rebate/no-incentive period. Take off another $2000 in current factory cash/dealer incentives. It's sort of the anti-TL: Fit and finish aren't quite up to Acura standards, but the car has so much personality and is such fun to drive you hardly notice. One final note: The car is turbocharged and significant (50 horsepower and more) bumps via increased boost are just an ECU reflash away. Deserved reputation for bulletproof construction; the drivetrain is over-engineered.
G35 Sedan 6MT/5AT: Slots between the Acura and Subie in fun-to-drive and character. Substantially improved '05 interior trumps the Subie (earlier models IMHO were in the same league, possibly worse) but still lags the Acura. Excellent, short-throw 6MT shifter has a precise, direct action and good (some would say too good) feedback. Clutch is light but tricky to engage, similar to the Subaru. Both cars rate a distant second to the Acura in this area. 5AT is extremely well done, with nifty rev-matching feature and quick, crisp shifts. RWD is a huge plus for me living in the Sun Belt; would be a big minus if I lived toward the Rust Belt instead. Not as rare as the Subie but you won't see yourself coming and going all day as in the TL. Good value; paid $32K for 6MT, Premium C and splash guards. You'll pay a grand or more less with current $1K dealer incentive.

They're all quality cars IMHO. People here get themselves so caught up in defending their own purchase decision that they tend to bash anything that's not a G35, but that's ill-informed and smacks of cluelessness, inexperience, stupidity or all three. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these cars. If you were debating about buying an Ion, yeah, I'd let the bashing go then.

Good luck!

PS - This was short?
+1, what he said, only add "hellacious bump steer" to the "plows-like-a-shopping-cart-in-the-produce-section" Acura TL.

Old 08-12-2005, 02:07 PM
Talking G35 vs. the TL

As a new member and new G35 owner, let me tell you my first impressions. I thuroughly test drove both cars and found the TL to be a really nice car. Well mannered easy to drive, plenty of power and the interior was very sophisticated.

The g35 was...more fun. I had a visceral experience in the G35 that I did not get with the TL. Additionally, the styling was a key factor. The range of colors in the TL was very limited and I think pretty boring. Which brings me to the style and look of the cars. The TL looks very nice, but very much like a lot of othe sedans out there. The G35 looks...different. As my neighbor pointed out from a block away you can see a G35 adn not mistake it for any other car on the road. Now, I hear that the style is distinctive enough that people either love it or hate it...but personally, I love it.

In sumamry, the TL is like the suburban architect uncle with three kids, the G35 is the bachelor uncle who teaches skydiving. IMHO

Old 08-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Haha, couldn't agree more with them above. A friend of mine has an '05 TL and everytime I'm in it I comment on how quiet the cabin is, how nice the interior materials are, and how smooth and cacoon like the ride is. Everytime he's in my G35 he comments about the pinpoint handling, the low end torque, and the instant pickup. They're different cars, pick the one that suits your lifestyle better. He has 2 kids and a pregnant wife, I have no kids and a rock photographer wife...

Old 08-12-2005, 03:14 PM
I was set on buying a TL. Did all the research, even picked my colors and aftermarket upgrades. This was after I initially looked at the G35 months before. Something told me to take another look at the G35x and I'm so glad I did. I copped my G and never looked back. I see so many TLs on the road (DC/MD/VA Metro Area) they're beginning to look really plain. My neighbors constantly comment on my G and are always asking questions about the ride. I'll admit. It's a gas guzzler but it's luxurious fun with four doors.

Old 08-12-2005, 03:16 PM
I would have to agree with both kevin and Picus. When I decided to do some car shopping..I was fixed on getting the G35. My g/f suggested the TL instead..so we went and test drove both.

Interior is better in the TL...but that alone didn't sell me. Handling was better for me in the G35, the pickup was better in the G35...yeah sure it's not as luxurious as the TL..but hey..I don't regret it one bit.

Old 08-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Like many have said, there are so many variables that you have to make decisions on. I've seen someone say the subbie isn't luxurious, well if you get the GT LTD it's pretty much on par with the G35 and is about $28,500. I've only owned my 04 G for seven months, and have test driven the Legacy prior to buying. The only reason I didn't get the Subbie is because they wanted me to put money down (lol). I prefer the 6spd in the G anyways, guess I got spoiled with my 02 maxima. As far as RWD V. FWD V. AWD I can't tell the difference between the RWD and AWD maybe I don't have enough experience. The TL is sweet and plush with a killer (panasonic) stereo. Some mentioned the TQ steer, well unless you plan on driving like a maniac from stop light to stoplight it won't be an issue. Keep in mind you'll only experience this when you get the urge to punch it from a standstill, so don't let that be a major deciding factor. Finding an unbiased opinion will be hard here because of course it's a G35 forum. The reason I chose the G over the TL is because it was more convenient for me to trade, my Titan LE at the same dealer,plus get the low APR. I love all three cars. Good luck

Old 08-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Hmmmm.....Legacy GT

5.23 sek to 60 !!!
http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=102657

Not bad I tell you that...

Old 08-17-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by gtbigup01
Some mentioned the TQ steer, well unless you plan on driving like a maniac from stop light to stoplight it won't be an issue. Keep in mind you'll only experience this when you get the urge to punch it from a standstill, so don't let that be a major deciding factor.
I disagree. I can tell the difference right away in a fwd. Besides the extra weight over the front, they just don't corner well under spirited acceleration. It's often been said that you cannot put more than 200hp to the front wheels. My wife's car is a 99 Maxima with just that and I would have to agree. I don't drive like a maniac in it but sometimes you need to be a bit aggressive here in Houston's traffic. It starts to understeer very early and the steering becomes numb. I can't imagine trying to use 270 hp in a fwd for anything other than highway passing.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:14 PM
I chose LGT over G35. Felt lighter, was cheaper, and liked the AWD with manual transmission. G35 is more consistent power-wise while moving and from a stop, a LGT is going to have to be driven better to equal or beat a G35. G35 is a step up in terms of braking as well. If you are planning on modding, then the answer is simple: LGT If you want a fast, fairly luxurious daily driver that you don't plan on modding, I say G35.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:50 PM
I just made a decision on Monday to get the G35x over the TL for the same reason as what most peple said. The G35 just drives and handle so much better. The perfect car for me would be G35 with TL's interior.

Old 08-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Congrats!